zsh-workers
* RFE: DIR_PUSHD
@ 2010-07-29 19:25 Dave Yost
From: Dave Yost @ 2010-07-29 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

AUTO_CD is nice, but I find it would usually be better if "executing"
a directory would instead pushd to that directory.

The obvious name for such an option would be AUTO_PUSHD, but that
name is already in use for something else.

The naming problem shouldn't stand in the way of this needed feature.
Call it what you will. It will get used.

I propose
   DIR_PUSHD

You could also offer its analog,
   DIR_CD
and deprecate
   AUTO_CD
which is confusing in its nonparallelism with AUTO_PUSHD

Thanks

Dave

* Re: RFE: DIR_PUSHD
@ 2010-07-29 20:37 ` Paul Ackersviller
       [not found]   ` <pdy98830624081dc877e5f4029d@192.168.1.2>
From: Paul Ackersviller @ 2010-07-29 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Yost; +Cc: zsh-workers

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 12:25:23PM -0700, Dave Yost wrote:
> AUTO_CD is nice, but I find it would usually be better if
> "executing" a directory would instead pushd to that directory.
>
> The obvious name for such an option would be AUTO_PUSHD, but that
> name is already in use for something else.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but does AUTO_PUSHD in conjunction with
AUTO_CD not already do what you want?  That's what I always set, and I'm
a happy pushd-er.

* Re: RFE: DIR_PUSHD
@ 2010-07-30  2:16   ` Dave Yost
       [not found]   ` <pdy98830624081dc877e5f4029d@192.168.1.2>
From: Dave Yost @ 2010-07-30  2:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

At 8:37 PM +0000 2010-07-29, Paul Ackersviller wrote:
>On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 12:25:23PM -0700, Dave Yost wrote:
>> AUTO_CD is nice, but I find it would usually be better if
>> "executing" a directory would instead pushd to that directory.
>>
>> The obvious name for such an option would be AUTO_PUSHD, but that
>> name is already in use for something else.
>
>Perhaps I'm missing something, but does AUTO_PUSHD in conjunction with
>AUTO_CD not already do what you want?  That's what I always set, and I'm
>a happy pushd-er.

If I set both AUTO_CD and AUTO_PUSHD, then
 1. If I execute a dir, zsh will pushd to that dir, so far, so good.
 2. If I say "cd /tmp", zsh will pushd to /tmp, not desired behavior

I want only #1

* Re: RFE: DIR_PUSHD
       [not found]   ` <pdy98830624081dc877e5f4029d@192.168.1.2>
@ 2010-07-30  6:26     ` Mikael Magnusson
From: Mikael Magnusson @ 2010-07-30  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Yost; +Cc: zsh-workers

On 30 July 2010 04:16, Dave Yost <Dave@yost.com> wrote:
> At 8:37 PM +0000 2010-07-29, Paul Ackersviller wrote:
>>On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 12:25:23PM -0700, Dave Yost wrote:
>>> AUTO_CD is nice, but I find it would usually be better if
>>> "executing" a directory would instead pushd to that directory.
>>>
>>> The obvious name for such an option would be AUTO_PUSHD, but that
>>> name is already in use for something else.
>>
>>Perhaps I'm missing something, but does AUTO_PUSHD in conjunction with
>>AUTO_CD not already do what you want?  That's what I always set, and I'm
>>a happy pushd-er.
>
> If I set both AUTO_CD and AUTO_PUSHD, then
>  1. If I execute a dir, zsh will pushd to that dir, so far, so good.
>  2. If I say "cd /tmp", zsh will pushd to /tmp, not desired behavior
>
> I want only #1

How about
function cd() {
  setopt localoptions noautopushd