zsh-workers
* Parse error
       [not found] <9646D453-A6FC-40A9-A623-A5A4D3270FC8.ref@verizon.net>
@ 2023-06-25  4:57 ` FREDERICK GEORGIAN
From: FREDERICK GEORGIAN @ 2023-06-25  4:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Hi: I need some help and I do not know to where to turn. If I am in the wrong department then please let me know. I was directed to “Oh My Zsh” by the book: "Taking Control of the Mac Command Line in Terminal”. I downloaded the app which was confirmed when my prompt changed. I downloaded OMZ via **curl**  | `sh -c “$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ohmyzsh/ohmyzsh/master/tools/install.sh)”`. I have zsh 5.8.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin21.0).
The two problems that I have are:

1. I get a message:
Last login: Sat Jun 24 22:00:35 on ttys000
You have mail.
/Users/frederick/.zshrc:131: parse error near `\n’
frederick@Fredericks-MacBook-Pro-269 ~ %
I have looked through .zshrc and I can not find that error.

2. Also no matter what I change my theme to for example:  ZSH_THEME=“terminalparty”
there is no difference to my terminal screen.  I have tried terminalparty, avit, “” (i.e. none) and robbyrussell.

While I would like my prompt back, I can live without it as long as I can rectify the two above problems.
I would appreciate if some one could offer some help. Thank you,

Frederick

* Re: Parse error
@ 2023-06-25 10:05   ` Roman Perepelitsa
From: Roman Perepelitsa @ 2023-06-25 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: FREDERICK GEORGIAN; +Cc: zsh-workers

On Sun, Jun 25, 2023 at 11:48 AM FREDERICK GEORGIAN <mfgeo@verizon.net> wrote:

> /Users/frederick/.zshrc:131: parse error near `\n’

This error means that you have an unterminated syntactic construct. It
could be an open parenthesis without a closing counterpart, `if`
without `fi`, or many other things. If you cannot easily see the error
by staring at the content of .zshrc, you can binary search for it by
inserting `return` in that file and checking whether it solves the
problem. If it does, the syntax error is below the `return`. If it
does not, the error is above.

Roman.

P.S.

This question is more suitable for zsh-users. zsh-workers is for bug
reports, patches, etc.