zsh-workers
* BUG: ZSH freezes (on history) when systime is wrong
@ 2014-06-23  9:32 Arjen Rouvoet
From: Arjen Rouvoet @ 2014-06-23  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Last weekend I had the problem that I could no longer start a terminal/load
a tty, because
zsh was freezing on it's init.

After booting into emergency mode, and setting my shell to bash, I got
control back, and tried to narrow down the issue.
Zero'ing out parts of my config, I narrowed it down to the history
sesttings, in particular: when I changed the path to the hist file, it
loaded (and exited; because after backing up and creating a new histfile,
zsh loaded but froze on exit).

At that point I noticed the system time was messed up (propably by windows
usage).
After syncing, zsh worked fine again with the original history file.

I wonder if the history contained some timestamp in the future, which got
zsh confused.
But in any case, I thought it was a bug worth mentioning.

With regards,

Arjen Rouvoet
*a.j.rouvoet@gmail.com <a.j.rouvoet@gmail.com>*

* Re: BUG: ZSH freezes (on history) when systime is wrong
@ 2014-06-23 12:40 ` Axel Beckert
From: Axel Beckert @ 2014-06-23 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arjen Rouvoet; +Cc: zsh-workers

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 11:32:47AM +0200, Arjen Rouvoet wrote:
> At that point I noticed the system time was messed up (propably by windows
> usage). After syncing, zsh worked fine again with the original history file.
>
> I wonder if the history contained some timestamp in the future, which got
> zsh confused. But in any case, I thought it was a bug worth mentioning.

This sounds a lot like an issue (32574) reported back in April against
zsh 5.0.5: http://www.zsh.org/mla/workers/2014/msg00363.html

		Kind regards, Axel
\ /  Say No to HTML in E-Mail and News            | abe@deuxchevaux.org  (Mail)
 X   See http://www.nonhtmlmail.org/campaign.html | abe@noone.org (Mail+Jabber)
/ \  I love long mails: http://email.is-not-s.ms/ | http://noone.org/abe/ (Web)

* Re: BUG: ZSH freezes (on history) when systime is wrong
@ 2014-06-23 12:57   ` Arjen Rouvoet
From: Arjen Rouvoet @ 2014-06-23 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers