Computer Old Farts Forum
* [COFF] Re: (redirected from TUHS) What do you currently use for your primary OS at home?
@ 2024-03-08  2:51 Rudi Blom
From: Rudi Blom @ 2024-03-08  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: coff; +Cc: Greg 'groggy' Lehey

Currently I've only got an older laptop at home still running Windows 10
Pro. Mostly I use a company provided HP ProBook 440 G7 with Windows 11 Pro.
I installed WSL2 to run Ubuntu 20.04 if only because I wanted to mount UFS
ISO images 😊

Still employed I have access to lots of UNIX servers, SCO UNIX 3.2V4.2 on
Intel based servers, Tru64 on AlphaServers, HP-UX 11.23/11.31 on Itanium
servers. There's an rx-server rx2660 I can call my own but even in a
testroom I can hear it. Reluctant to take home. My electricity bill would
also explode I think.

Cheers,
uncle rubl
--
The more I learn the better I understand I know nothing.

* [COFF] Re: (redirected from TUHS) What do you currently use for your primary OS at home?
@ 2024-03-14 13:39   ` Tom Ivar Helbekkmo via COFF
From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo via COFF @ 2024-03-14 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg 'groggy' Lehey; +Cc: coff

Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@lemis.com> writes:

> I'm surprised how few of the responders use BSD.

I started out with MINIX 1 on a 286-based PC.  Ported various software
to it, including UUCP, so I had email and could be on mailing lists.

Moved to 386bsd when that came out, joining the Internet community
around it.  Stuck with it as it became NetBSD, and have run NetBSD on my
primary systems ever since.

I enjoyed playing with kernel code on MINIX and early NetBSD, but modern
kernels are much too complicated for me, so I get those urges satisfied
on MINIX 3, 2.11BSD, and 6th Edition UNIX, all on proper hardware.  :)

-tih
--
Most people who graduate with CS degrees don't understand the significance
of Lisp.  Lisp is the most important idea in computer science.  --Alan Kay

* [COFF] Re: (redirected from TUHS) What do you currently use for your primary OS at home?
@ 2024-03-08  0:19     ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2024-03-08  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg 'groggy' Lehey; +Cc: Jeffry R. Abramson, COFF

On Thu, Mar 7, 2024 at 6:50 PM Dan Cross <crossd@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > > user community was getting much larger, I was using it
> > > professionally at work and there was just a larger range of
> > > applications available.  Lately, I find myself getting tired of the
> > > bloat and how big and messy and complicated it has all gotten.
> > > Thinking of looking for something simpler and was just wondering
> > > what do other old timers use for their primary home computing needs?
> >
> > I'm surprised how few of the responders use BSD.  My machines all
> > (currently) run FreeBSD, with the exception of a Microsoft box
> > (distress.lemis.com) that I use remotely for photo processing.  I've
> > tried Linux (used to work developing Linux kernel code), but I
> > couldn't really make friends with it.  It sounds like our reasons are
> > similar.
> >
> > More details:
> >
> > 1977-1984:  CP/M, 86-DOS
> > 1984-1990:  MS-DOS
> > 1991-1992:  Inactive UNIX
> > 1992-1997:  BSD/386, BSD/OS
> > 1997-now:   FreeBSD
>
> I'm a bit surprised by this, as well.
>
> I consider myself very fortunate in that the first computer we had at
> home was a Macintosh (the 1985, 512K model; the so-called "Fat Mac").
> I say I was fortunate for this because the machine really gave a very
> consistent experience compared to the 8-bit micros and the IBM PC that
> were common at the time; I didn't realize how important that was until
> much later, but once I did, I considered myself very lucky indeed.
>
> The next machine I had was a 486 running DOS. From there, I had a
> short stint running COHERENT, the MWC clone of (essentially) 7th
> Edition. Then I ran NetBSD for a few months, and then FreeBSD. I
> stayed on FreeBSD for a while, until sometime in the 4.9-era when
> `periodic(8)` got added. At that point, the growing complexity got to
> me. My friend Scott Schwartz had been telling me about Plan 9, and it
> was available around that time, so I installed it; that was my primary
> environment for a few years until I landed on a Macintosh.
>
> Nowadays, I sit in front of a Mac Studio as my workstation, and I have
> a bunch of other machines running a bunch of other stuff around the
> house: Plan 9 runs much of the home infrastructure (DNS, DHCP, that
> kind of stuff). There's a rinky dink FreeBSD print server running my
> ancient laser printer. There's an OpenBSD machine downstairs that runs
> backup DNS and consoles. I've got machines running FreeBSD,
> OpenBSD-current, and DragonFly, plus a Linux workstation that I run
> headless that I use for stuff that requires KVM. There are a couple of
> Raspberry Pi's and an x86 Linux machine that all speak AX.25 and are
> all connected to various (amateur) radios, an Alpha running VMS, and
> emulated VAXen, PDP-11s, mainframes, Multics, Pr1me, CDC, and a few
> other weird machines running different legacy OSes.
>
> I never gravitated towards Linux as a desktop machine, really. It has
> always felt very fiddly to me. I don't miss FreeBSD on the desktop,

Oh, and not to toot my own horn, but I forgot that in there for a year
or two was a MIPS DECstation running Ultrix. That was pretty stylin',
I gotta say: my friends were jealous. :-D

        - Dan C.

* [COFF] Re: (redirected from TUHS) What do you currently use for your primary OS at home?
@ 2024-03-07 23:50   ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2024-03-07 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg 'groggy' Lehey; +Cc: Jeffry R. Abramson, COFF

@ 2024-03-07 23:43   ` segaloco via COFF
From: segaloco via COFF @ 2024-03-07 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: COFF

On Thursday, March 7th, 2024 at 2:44 PM, Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@lemis.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, 7 March 2024 at 1:47:26 -0500, Jeffry R. Abramson wrote:
>
> > I eventually reverted back to Linux because it was clear that the
> > user community was getting much larger, I was using it
> > professionally at work and there was just a larger range of
> > applications available. Lately, I find myself getting tired of the
> > bloat and how big and messy and complicated it has all gotten.
> > Thinking of looking for something simpler and was just wondering
> > what do other old timers use for their primary home computing needs?
>

> I'm surprised how few of the responders use BSD. My machines all
> (currently) run FreeBSD, with the exception of a Microsoft box
> (distress.lemis.com) that I use remotely for photo processing. I've
> tried Linux (used to work developing Linux kernel code), but I
> couldn't really make friends with it. It sounds like our reasons are
> similar.
>
> More details:
>
> 1977-1984: CP/M, 86-DOS
> 1984-1990: MS-DOS
> 1991-1992: Inactive UNIX
> 1992-1997: BSD/386, BSD/OS
> 1997-now: FreeBSD
>
> Greg
> --
> Sent from my desktop computer.
> Finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key.
> See complete headers for address and phone numbers.
> This message is digitally signed. If your Microsoft mail program
> reports problems, please read http://lemis.com/broken-MUA.php

Not an old timer but feel like getting in on the fun.  My main system these days
is a Raspberry Pi 400 running a home-grown (but quite generic) Linux setup.
Started as a cross-compiled kernel with a Gentoo stage 3 stuck on top, then
started replacing and removing bits of userland.  The main Gentoo-ism still
around is that I didn't bump from OpenRC down to bare sysvinit, but pretty much
everything else has been replaced by upstream packages at this point.  Desktop
is X11/dwm, haven't quite gotten hip with the Wayland stuff these days.  I keep
a Windows 10 x86_64 desktop around for video games.  Work is then a macOS host
but frequently working in a remote Windows desktop, so I use Windows, mac, and
Linux pretty evenly in a regular day.

Have volleyed between FreeBSD and Linux historically, whichever has better
hardware support for the main machine I'm running at the time, with FreeBSD
preferred all things equal.  I've taken my approach with Linux for a long time,
opting out of distros wherever possible and rolling my own system build.  I've
found it keeps the things I want working while being adaptable to incorporating
new bits at will.  Firefox is the only major component that I don't build from
source, instead opting to grab updated binaries from Arch or Debian whenever I
feel like doing an update cycle.  Everything else I just nab from whoever makes
it and build it up from the source packages.  It's nice having intimate control
over what goes in /bin vs /usr/bin vs /opt/bin (no /usr/local tree here...)

On Thursday, March 7th, 2024 at 2:32 PM, Mike Markowski <mike.ab3ap@gmail.com> wrote:

> I also use Raspberry Pi 3's in PiDP 8/I (https://udel.edu/~mm/pidp8i/) and 11/70. I wonder how long till a R-Pi is enough for a work station...
>
> Mike Markowski

I find the Raspberry Pi 400 checks all my boxes for what I tend to work on,
although I'm not doing any, say, CAD or media editing, just writing code,
some image processing, document scanning, and web browsing.

- Matt G.