* [9fans] win32 rx server, 9pany ?
@ 2003-07-08 23:49 Andrew Simmons
From: Andrew Simmons @ 2003-07-08 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> listen to Bruce Schneier ...

"The world is full of bad security systems designed by people who have read
Applied Cryptography."

> code it.

That's the bit I was rather hoping to avoid. I'm currently using the Windows
Crypto API, but don't really trust it.

* Re: [9fans] win32 rx server, 9pany ?
@ 2003-07-08 23:56 ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2003-07-08 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> That's the bit I was rather hoping to avoid. I'm currently using the Windows
> Crypto API, but don't really trust it.

maybe if you told us the type of random numbers you need might help.

i'm no factotum expert.

* Re: [9fans] win32 rx server, 9pany ?
@ 2003-07-09  3:30   ` David Presotto
From: David Presotto @ 2003-07-09  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Perhaps because it isn't a random number generator.

Getting reasonable random numbers with beating clocks,
ala /dev/random in plan9, is not hard.  However, to have
any confidence in it you really have to test it on every
machine.  I've got a few reasonable random number testers
and there are plenty on the web.  I throw them at our
random generator every now and then to make sure nothing
broke.  If in Windows, a process can get interrupted by
the 8253 clock, we can generate similarly random numbers
there though perhaps at a slower rate.  That does require
that the 8253 stay independent of the cpu clock.

However, something like the X9.17 algorithm, seeded by a
small amount of random material will produce a ready supply
of unpredicatble and incoherent bytes for things like
prime number generation.  You don't have to look around too
much, we've already got it.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2509 bytes --]

From: bs <bs@nospam.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] win32 rx server, 9pany ?
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 22:43:57 -0400

Andrew Simmons wrote:
>>maybe if you told us the type of random numbers you need might help.
>

> For session key generation etc. I've been looking at OpenSSL & Cryptlib, &
> was just interested in any other alternatives.  It would probably get too
> far OT and boring to go into it further, so I'll shut up now.

Why not PRNGD? It has a liberal license.

* Re: [9fans] win32 rx server, 9pany ?
@ 2003-07-09  2:43 ` bs
From: bs @ 2003-07-09  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2003-07-09  0:34 ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2003-07-09  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> It would probably get too far OT and boring to go into it further, so I'll
shut up now.

good crypto is never OT.

* [9fans] win32 rx server, 9pany ?
@ 2003-07-09  0:30 Andrew Simmons
From: Andrew Simmons @ 2003-07-09  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2003-07-08 23:32 ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2003-07-08 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I said "random".

get the doc on PNRGs, read it, search google, listen to Bruce Schneier ...

code it.

* Re: [9fans] win32 rx server, 9pany ?
@ 2003-07-08 23:23   ` Jack Johnson
From: Jack Johnson @ 2003-07-08 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

boyd, rounin wrote:

>>What are you using for random number generation under Windows?
> time between crashes?

It used to be time between dialog boxes with only one option, but it
turned out to have a period of 3.

-Jack

* [9fans] win32 rx server, 9pany ?
@ 2003-07-08 23:17 Andrew Simmons
From: Andrew Simmons @ 2003-07-08 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

 > time between crashes?

I said "random".

* Re: [9fans] win32 rx server, 9pany ?
@ 2003-07-08 23:00 ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2003-07-08 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2003-07-08 22:56 Andrew Simmons
From: Andrew Simmons @ 2003-07-08 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2003-07-08 10:45 ` David Presotto
From: David Presotto @ 2003-07-08 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I started down the path of porting factotum to windows
and got side tracked, mostly because I was trying to
figure out how to make it work for exploder and other
apps.  However, we've ported most of the libraries so
if you want to make it just work as is, you could probably
get it working fairly quickly.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2189 bytes --]

From: steve.simon@snellwilcox.com
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] win32 rx server, 9pany ?
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 11:22:48 +0100

Hi,

I want an rx demon (BSD rshd) to run on Win32. This
could use rhosts type authentication but p9any
would be a better solution. I was thinking
about hacking the u9fs source to extract the p9any
authentication module into a stand-alone program
which my rxd could exec().

This starts to feel a bit like factotum, I could
have listen exec rxd with a known file descriptor
attached to factotum - Win32/Unix file descriptor
inheritance being the closest thing I have to plan9
file namespace.

Anyone else thought about / done anything like this.

-Steve

* [9fans] win32 rx server, 9pany ?
@ 2003-07-08 10:22 steve.simon