* Re: [9fans] Re 2 button mouse + Inferno
@ 2000-09-26 10:43 ianb
From: ianb @ 2000-09-26 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> Left hand keyboard
>Wow. Great idea. Ideas rather. Where does your left hand rest?
On a kind of gel-filled cushion about an inch high that someone
left in the office when they left.

>Old Genuine Clicky PS/2 keyboards have consistant keycap contours,
I haven't found one yet. Nor does the happy hacking keyboard
or btc5100 (i assume from the picture).

Ian

* Re: [9fans] Re 2 button mouse + Inferno
@ 2000-09-26 22:16 ` Rick Hohensee
From: Rick Hohensee @ 2000-09-26 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> >> Left hand keyboard
> >Wow. Great idea. Ideas rather. Where does your left hand rest?
> On a kind of gel-filled cushion about an inch high that someone
> left in the office when they left.
>
> >Old Genuine Clicky PS/2 keyboards have consistant keycap contours,
> I haven't found one yet. Nor does the happy hacking keyboard
> or btc5100 (i assume from the picture).
>
> Ian

cl@ncdm.com might part a keyboard from a box, dono. A whole box is
cheap.

So your left hand is centered vis-a-vis the spacebar?

Rick Hohensee

* Re: [9fans] Re 2 button mouse + Inferno
@ 2000-09-27  0:17   ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2000-09-27  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

From: "Rick Hohensee" <humbubba@smarty.smart.net>

> So your left hand is centered vis-a-vis the spacebar?

it's funny how these french terms get mangled.  in french 'vis-a-vis'
means 'face to face' and not 'regarding'.

* Re: [9fans] Re 2 button mouse + Inferno
@ 2000-09-27 10:21 ianb
From: ianb @ 2000-09-27 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed, 27 Sep 2000 02:17:27 +0200 "Boyd Roberts" <boyd@planete.net> wrote:
>From: "Rick Hohensee" <humbubba@smarty.smart.net>
>
>> So your left hand is centered vis-a-vis the spacebar?
>
>it's funny how these french terms get mangled.  in french 'vis-a-vis'
>means 'face to face' and not 'regarding'.

Ah, I think I understand now.

No, my hand is right of the centre.
The 'I' key is just about lined up with the end of the
spacebar so that home key 'E' is slightly left of the end of the
spacebar. This allows easy access to the key to the right of
the space (alt-gr) as a delete; and the one right of that (with a windows
symbol) as an enter.

 From memory, it is one or two spaces to the right of the linux map.
My numbers have moved to the left side too. I have a load of extra shift and
ctrl keys mapped because reaching for them is hard work. Maybe these
could be on the mouse?! Or maybe a straight keyboard like this is just
the wrong shape for one hand.

Maybe we should all be using Twiddlers: a chording keyboard,
http://www.handykey.com/

* Re: [9fans] Re 2 button mouse + Inferno
@ 2000-09-26 15:32           ` Tom Duff
From: Tom Duff @ 2000-09-26 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sep 25,  1:38pm, Tom Duff wrote:
> Subject: Re: [9fans] Re 2 button mouse + Inferno
> On Sep 25, 12:32pm, Skip Tavakkolian wrote:
> > http://www.compuspex.com/keyboards/btc5100.htm
> >
> > Caps-lock and Control keys need to be swapped, but otherwise very
> > usable (cheaper too).
> > At 08:02 AM 9/25/00 -0700, James A. Robinson wrote:
> > >Folks may be interested in the Happy Hacker keyboard. They have a Lite
> > >model which costs $69, and a "multi-platform" model which costs $139.00.
> > >
> > >http://www.pfuca.com/products/hhkb/
>
> Home,
> Page Up/Down and arrow keys, which HH requires you to hold
> down Fn to get.
Ahem, I meant, you need to hold Fn to get Pup/PDn, Home on the
BTC5100C, but it's on the other hand -- much better than making
one-handed chords.  Also, BTC5100c's arrows are unshifted.

> I've tried a few other small-footprint keyboards, and HH and BTC5100
> are the
[oops, premature send] They're the only two I've had positive
feelings about.

--
Tom Duff.  Grape seller, mandarin player, and barker for a sideshow
snake act.

* Re: [9fans] Re 2 button mouse + Inferno
@ 2000-09-26 10:10       ` Elliott Hughes
From: Elliott Hughes @ 2000-09-26 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

"Jason Ozolins" <jason.ozolins@anu.edu.au> wrote in message
> Umm, I can understand ditching the numeric keypad if one is not a bean
> counter, but why lose the cursor keys?  They work pretty well in editors
> under other GUI environments. I was pretty surprised to find that
> Inferno's Acme didn't support them - doesn't P9's Acme support them
> either?

No, Plan 9's acme didn't support them last time I looked (release 2). I
added them to my own copy at the time, and my Java acmeish editor also
supports cursor keys. [The cursor keys are quite handy on the Happy Hacker,
being in the + layout rather than the inverted-T, and being in with the
other keys: they're Fn plus one of "[;'/", i.e. the diamond between Return
and the alphabetic keys.]

My interpretation of up and down is (as far as I know) original, but suits
me. They take one to the previous and next end-of-line. This sounds a lot
weirder than it actually is; I find that most of the time I want to move
'up' or 'down' a line, I'm headed for the end of a line. There are
undoubtedly many other solutions, but for programming this is a good one
(and, personally, I hardly use the cursor keys in natural-language texts,
though I couldn't say why not).

 - Elliott

* Re: [9fans] Re 2 button mouse + Inferno
@ 2000-09-26  9:14 ` Elliott Hughes
From: Elliott Hughes @ 2000-09-26  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

<ianb@cs.york.ac.uk> wrote in message
> >i have my 'Happy Hacker' right here before me,
>
> Can you tell me if the keys are all the same size, such that if you, say,
> move a key from the bottom row to the top/numbers row,  whether or not it
> sticks out/in?

they look contoured by row to me.

 - e

* Re: [9fans] Re 2 button mouse + Inferno
@ 2000-09-26  9:14     ` Jason Ozolins
From: Jason Ozolins @ 2000-09-26  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Elliott Hughes wrote:

> "Mark C. Otto" <Mark_Otto@fws.gov> wrote in message
>
> > I also wonder if much of the discontent with the mouse has to do with the
> > ubiquitous Microsoft keyboards that require one's right hand to move some
> 35cm
> > to get to the mouse.
>
> i like chording too, for the reason forsyth mentioned. there's no discontent
> with the mouse from my quarter, but i haven't forgotten my keyboard either.
> i see no reason to deny myself the use of one channel because i can get by
> with another. to insist that one uses the mouse and the mouse only is every
> bit as silly as insisting that one uses the keyboard and the keyboard only.

Absolutely and completely agree.  Plus it is usable by people who have
RSI in their mouse hand (twiddly chording gestures aren't really ideal
in that respect).

> > I would think a keyboard without the cursor and numeric
> > pads would be as important and the 3-button mouse.
>
> i have my 'Happy Hacker' right here before me, sans inverted-T, sans numeric
> keypad. it's a really nice keyboard too, which is more important. see the
> unfortunately named website http://www.pfuca.com/ for more details. (there's
> no USB model as yet.)

Umm, I can understand ditching the numeric keypad if one is not a bean
counter, but why lose the cursor keys?  They work pretty well in editors
under other GUI environments. I was pretty surprised to find that
Inferno's Acme didn't support them - doesn't P9's Acme support them
either?
--
Jason Ozolins
Technical Support Group                 Local: x5449
Department of Computer Science         Global: +61 2 6249 5449
The Australian National University      Email: jason.ozolins@anu.edu.au

* Re: [9fans] Re 2 button mouse + Inferno
@ 2000-09-26  7:21   ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2000-09-26  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I don't know where this thread is going, but to make sure no stone is
left unturned, I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents:

I believe the technique described could also be used to build a mop :-)

(sorry, couldn't resist)

@ 2000-09-26  5:33 ` Rick Hohensee
From: Rick Hohensee @ 2000-09-26  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> >I also wonder if much of the discontent with the mouse has to do with the
> >ubiquitous Microsoft keyboards that require one's right hand to move some 35cm
> >to get to the mouse.  I would think a keyboard without the cursor and numeric
> >pads would be as important and the 3-button mouse.
>
> I use a cardboard platform fitted over the numeric and cursor key
> area, with a mouse mat glued on. It is VERY effective at reducing the
> time spent thrashing to the mouse. I have used this for about 18 months
> and thoroughly recommend it.
>
> (It also increases the accuracy of mouse movements, but i don't know why.)
>
> On this machine however, I have moved the keys into something resembling a
> Dvorak left handed keyboard, so i am typing with my left hand only
> and keeping the mouse in my right. It has taken me about a month to get
> used to, and now my typing is just acceptably accurate although it is a
> little slow.
>
> I have also tilted the keyboard with the right 'hand' side up about 8cm.
> It seems to reduce the strain an my wrists.
>
> (I like the chording btw.)
>
> Food for thought.
>
> Ian
>
> It anyone wants my keyboard layout, let me know...it is similar to
> Dvorak's left handed version, but i moved the characters used in
> C and Perl closer to the home position and made good use of the extra
> microsoft keys for a delete and enter next to the spacebar, just under
> my thumb.

Wow. Great idea. Ideas rather. Where does your left hand rest?

I use The Lemming Pelt(TM). The Lemming Pelt is a piece of Dr. Scholl's
moleskin with a hole in it. Bout like so...

	_________
       /         \
       |   ___    |
       |  /   \   |
       | |     |  |
       | |     |  |
       |  \___/   |
       |          |
       |          |
       |          |
       \_________/

Stick it to the underside of your mouse. Moleskin may have a bit too
much nap for some mice. First aid tape or some fuzzy art/craft stuff
would do. Discard your mousepad, and that old toothbrush you use to
clean the mouse ball-rollers with. My mousepad is a piece of Italian
marble about a half inch by 6 by 10 inches, which may soon be propped
up over my numpad.

The left-hand Dvorak thing is a problem. The brilliance of it takes
all the luster off my Hexhed keymap, which I was very proud of until
I read your post. This is what I get in Linux when I hit the pause
key in Hexhed....

cLIeNUX hexhead

esc f1 f2 f3 f4  f5 f6 f7 f8  f9 f10 f11 f12 ps sl  pic    [LEDs]

~  v  j  x  q   '  <  >  a  b  c  d  ]  bs   ins  hm  pgup  nl /  *  -

tab  p  u  n  k  y  dn up 7  8  9  e  e  \   del  end pgdn  7  8  9  +

cl    s  l  i  g  h  t  ;  4  5  6  f  entr                 4  5  6

shift  w  o  r  m  z  ,  .  1  2  3   shift        up       1  2  3  ent

ctrl    alt      space            0    ctrl   lft  dn  rt   0     .

I have an extra e. What's a 4-letter word using e and 3 of the
set of [ v j x q ] ?

I will now hit my f10, f11 and f12 keys ( and 3 ENTERs)...
loadkeys /.et/keyboard/defkeymap.map
loadkeys /.et/keyboard/dvorak.map
loadkeys /.et/keyboard/hexhead.map

The command to set the Hexhead map is aaaa, which is ssss on
a hexhead-keycapped keyboard being interpreted as a querty.

What's with small keyboards? I think the keys are too small.
I have average hands for a 6' tall man.

Old Genuine Clicky PS/2 keyboards have consistant keycap contours,
and that great Selectric feel, but the damn Satisfying Click(TM)
is to satisfy the boss that you're busy. There are millions of
PS/2's in storage, I'm told. Computers are hard to discard, due to
the lead.

Rick Hohensee

* Re: [9fans] Re 2 button mouse + Inferno
       [not found]       ` <skipt@real.com>
@ 2000-09-25 20:38         ` Tom Duff
From: Tom Duff @ 2000-09-25 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sep 25, 12:32pm, Skip Tavakkolian wrote:
> http://www.compuspex.com/keyboards/btc5100.htm
>
> Caps-lock and Control keys need to be swapped, but otherwise very
> usable (cheaper too).
> At 08:02 AM 9/25/00 -0700, James A. Robinson wrote:
> >Folks may be interested in the Happy Hacker keyboard. They have a Lite
> >model which costs $69, and a "multi-platform" model which costs $139.00.
> >
> >http://www.pfuca.com/products/hhkb/

I have both of these.  I have a happy hacker at work,
and a btc5100 on one of the machines at home.  The keys on
the btc5100 are a little looser, but I like the layout better
than the HH -- there's lots of software at work that uses Home,
Page Up/Down and arrow keys, which HH requires you to hold
down Fn to get.  Also, on HH you must hold down Fn to get
one of bs and del (there's a switch that picks which.)

I've tried a few other small-footprint keyboards, and HH and BTC5100
are the

--
Tom Duff.  Non-stop golden dance hour

* Re: [9fans] Re 2 button mouse + Inferno
@ 2000-09-25 20:20 ` Steve Kilbane
From: Steve Kilbane @ 2000-09-25 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

forsyth:
> i quite like the chording (streamlined from Oberon).
> it is the first time i have detected a real difference in
> `feel' to an interface.  normally the `look and feel' is mainly `look'.
> it is as if one were grabbing the text and putting it in place.

I found the context-related interpretation of button 3 to be the
nicest thing. Possibly that's because it required less dexterity
(especially on ball mice where pressing a button tended to rock/move
the mouse rather than hold the microswitch), but it's where the
interface just did what I wanted, without having to think about it.

steve

* Re: [9fans] Re 2 button mouse + Inferno
@ 2000-09-25 19:32     ` Skip Tavakkolian
       [not found]       ` <skipt@real.com>
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2000-09-25 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I have one of these:

@ 2000-09-25 17:08 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2000-09-25 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

	gone bad out of about 40 in more than 5 years).
	The Lexmark keyboard business was bought by
	Unicomp and the keyboards are still available but,
	as you say, not cheap - $99.

You can get them for $89 if you order the one without
the silly pointing stick under the J key.  You have to call
them to order that one; it's not available via the web.
They refer to it as the ``M4 without pointing stick''.

As Digby pointed out, the tactile response on the Unicomp
keyboards is different from most.  It's somewhat similar
to some full-size laptop keyboards though.  It took me about
a month to get fully used to typing on it (no typos).

	Folks may be interested in the Happy Hacker keyboard.
	They have a Lite model which costs $69, and a
	"multi-platform" model which costs $139.00.

The Happy Hacking people have done a good job of
marketing, which Unicomp has not. I know a fair number
of people who swear by the Happy Hacker keyboards,
but I can't stand them (the keyboards, not the people).
Despite claims of being full-sized, they seem to be on the
small side, and I have a very hard time typing on
them, much more than when I started using the
Lexmark/Unicomp models.  Maybe if I gave it a month.

In short, both the Unicomp and the Happy Hacking keyboards
seem to be very person-dependent; type before you buy.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Re 2 button mouse + Inferno
@ 2000-09-25 17:02 Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2000-09-25 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

//One bad point is no caps-lock. But one could probably
//get right thing done via software very easily in P9.

um, this is from memory (as i'm using a Happy Hacking
keyboard with no Caps Lock key now), but doesn't Plan 9
turn even the normal Caps Lock key into a control key?
not that one couldn't change it.

the PFU Hayyp Hacking keyboards have a few other nice
properties, too. they've got selectable "modes" which
change the default function of a few keys (backspace or
delete, for example), and a pair of "function" keys
which, in at least some "modes", act as Plan 9's View
and, um, un-View (?) keys. combined with their small
size and good feel, they get my vote.

//Can you tell me if the keys are all the same size

it certainly seems so, although i havn't actually
re-mounted them in another position to be sure.
: anothy;

* Re: [9fans] Re 2 button mouse + Inferno
@ 2000-09-25 15:54 ` chad
From: chad @ 2000-09-25 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I use a cardboard platform fitted over the numeric and cursor key
> area, with a mouse mat glued on. It is VERY effective at reducing the
> time spent thrashing to the mouse. I have used this for about 18 months
> and thoroughly recommend it.

I use a similar tactic -- I removed the keycaps from the numeric
keypad, and mounted a trackball (logitech marble or marble+, NOT the
marble FX).  I've been using it for a couple years, and am quite happy
with it.  At home, it's nice because the user input can be moved
around (lap, desk, passed to other person) as one piece, not two,
while at work it's much nicer with the under-the-desktop keyboard
trays (which dramatically increase the delay for mouse users, in my
experience).

If only I could work up something similar for a laptop...

chad

* Re: [9fans] Re 2 button mouse + Inferno
@ 2000-09-25 15:50 ianb
From: ianb @ 2000-09-25 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>i have my 'Happy Hacker' right here before me,

Can you tell me if the keys are all the same size, such that if you, say,
move a key from the bottom row to the top/numbers row,  whether or not it
sticks out/in?

with most normal keyboads, the keys are contoured for the qwerty layout,
although you don't realise it until you move them to some other layout.

ian

* Re: [9fans] Re 2 button mouse + Inferno
@ 2000-09-25 15:23 ` Elliott Hughes
From: Elliott Hughes @ 2000-09-25 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> You can buy plenty of keyboards with no numeric bit, but they're
> not cheap.

they are when you consider how much we spend on output devices.

 - e

* Re: [9fans] Re 2 button mouse + Inferno
@ 2000-09-25 15:22   ` Elliott Hughes
From: Elliott Hughes @ 2000-09-25 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2000-09-25 15:16   ` Digby Tarvin
From: Digby Tarvin @ 2000-09-25 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> 	You can buy plenty of keyboards with no numeric bit, but they're
> 	not cheap.
>
> A long time ago we bought a pile of Lexmark 84-key keyboards. There's an
> optional numeric keypad. They are small and pretty reliable (a couple have
> gone bad out of about 40 in more than 5 years). The Lexmark keyboard
> business was bought by Unicomp and the keyboards are still available but,
> as you say, not cheap - $99.
>
> http://www.pckeyboard.com/surfer.htm

I tried the Unicomp keyboard, but wasn't too keen on the quality
of the keys. It had about as much tactile feedback as a membrane
keyboard. But then again my judgement may be coloured by the
fact that the keyboard they sent me had a fault, and the promised
replacement never turned up :-/

I have been much happier with the offering from
	http://www.pfuca.com/

at US$69.00 they still are quite a bit more expensive than
the desk cluttering models, but still a small part of the
overall system cost, and a good keyboard should last
a lifetime, so I think my fingers are worth more than $20.00
or whatever the cheapies go for....

Regards,
DigbyT
--
Digby R. S. Tarvin                                              digbyt@acm.org
http://www.cthulhu.dircon.co.uk

* Re: [9fans] Re 2 button mouse + Inferno
@ 2000-09-25 15:02   ` James A. Robinson
From: James A. Robinson @ 2000-09-25 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2000-09-25 14:50 ` jmk
From: jmk @ 2000-09-25 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2000-09-25 13:45 ianb
From: ianb @ 2000-09-25 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon, 25 Sep 2000 14:26:32 0100 forsyth@vitanuova.com wrote:
>>>I also wonder if much of the discontent with the mouse has to do with the
>>>ubiquitous Microsoft keyboards that require one's right hand to move some 35cm
>>>to get to the mouse.
>
>absolutely.

You can buy plenty of keyboards with no numeric bit, but they're
not cheap.

I've got a stack of old qwerty keyboards, but not one of them would
allow me to chop off the end bit since all the electronics is
just under the page up/down keys. Moving the electronics is not worth the
effort, otherwise to make a cheap small keyboard would be trivial.

ian

* Re: [9fans] Re 2 button mouse + Inferno
@ 2000-09-25 13:35 ianb
From: ianb @ 2000-09-25 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2000-09-25 13:28   ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2000-09-25 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon, Sep 25, 2000 at 09:07:25AM -0400, Mark C. Otto wrote:

> I also wonder if much of the discontent with the mouse has to do with the
> ubiquitous Microsoft keyboards that require one's right hand to move some 35cm
> to get to the mouse.  I would think a keyboard without the cursor and numeric
> pads would be as important and the 3-button mouse.

I have a combination keyboard and trackball (from Chicony - I don't
have the model number handy and I'm not sure it is being manufactured
any longer).

The trackball replaces the arrow keys <sigh> and the _three_ buttons
are on the bottom edge, on the left below the shift keys.  An idea
that needs a few more iteration, to borrow a phrase.  And I couldn't
quite get all three buttons to work with Plan 9, when I wasn't sure
how comfortable the whole thing would be anyway.

++L

* Re: [9fans] Re 2 button mouse + Inferno
@ 2000-09-25 13:26 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2000-09-25 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>I also wonder if much of the discontent with the mouse has to do with the
>>ubiquitous Microsoft keyboards that require one's right hand to move some 35cm
>>to get to the mouse.

absolutely.

* Re: [9fans] Re 2 button mouse + Inferno
@ 2000-09-25 13:14 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2000-09-25 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

	I like the chording too but miss the snarf or copy chord (left and middle
	interclick).  I know that won't work with the plan9 mouse button scheme.

Hmm.  Snarf works in Plan 9 by: push 1, push 2, release 2, push 3, release 3,
release 1.  Think of it as Cut followed by Paste, while holding button 1 (left)
down.

-rob

* Re: [9fans] Re 2 button mouse + Inferno
@ 2000-09-25 13:07 ` Mark C. Otto
From: Mark C. Otto @ 2000-09-25 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I like the chording too but miss the snarf or copy chord (left and middle
interclick).  I know that won't work with the plan9 mouse button scheme.

I also wonder if much of the discontent with the mouse has to do with the
ubiquitous Microsoft keyboards that require one's right hand to move some 35cm
to get to the mouse.  I would think a keyboard without the cursor and numeric
pads would be as important and the 3-button mouse.

Mark

* Re: [9fans] Re 2 button mouse + Inferno
@ 2000-09-25 12:40 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2000-09-25 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2000-09-25 10:44 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2000-09-25 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

richard miller had a change that extended the shift to allow chording
using a two button mouse.  still clumsy but sometimes unavoidable.
i'd still buy a three button mouse.  they aren't expensive.  they work with windows.
the microsoft wheel thing will work as well, if you must.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2208 bytes --]

From: steve.simon@snellwilcox.com
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] Re 2 button mouse + Inferno
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 11:19:22 +0100

Hi,

I am not sure about Inferno, but Hosted under Plan9, you should be able to
use the Plan9 workaround of Shift+Right button to simulate a middle button press
of the mouse.

Unfortunately if you want to do mouse chording under acme... well I have never
tried but it would
be difficult if not impossible - a challenge for someone perhaps?  :-)

-Steve

* [9fans] Re 2 button mouse + Inferno
@ 2000-09-25 10:19 steve.simon