* Re: [9fans] Re: Keyboard mapping
@ 2001-08-26  9:28 geoff
From: geoff @ 2001-08-26  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

sigh, damned Reply-To: headers.  that was meant for boyd only,
obviously.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1595 bytes --]

From: Boyd Roberts <boyd@insultant.net>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] Re: Keyboard mapping
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 08:32:22 GMT

"Dan Cross" <cross@math.psu.edu> a crit dans le message news:
200104050116.VAA21585@augusta.math.psu.edu...
> Oh, sounds like DDT under ITS.  Where's TECO?  I want my EMACS....

teco?  you were lucky.  when i were a lad ...

* Re: [9fans] Re: Keyboard mapping
@ 2001-08-26 12:39 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-08-26 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> sigh, damned Reply-To: headers.  that was meant for boyd only,
> obviously.

bugger, now i've done it too.

* Re: [9fans] Re: Keyboard mapping
@ 2001-08-26 12:50 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-08-26 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> sigh, damned Reply-To: headers.  that was meant for boyd only,
> obviously.

this is probably an object lesson in bad user interface design.

windows hides all those headers that _i_ want to see.  one thing
i did do when i wrote a mail user agent was to order the 'important'
headers so they would always appear in the same order in the file
the message was kept.  if you needed the original message, you could
always pull it out of the audit trail, which had a verbatim copy
of the message.

windows also has two reply modes, when it only needs one.

* Re[2]: [9fans] Re: Keyboard mapping
@ 2001-08-27 11:18   ` Matt
From: Matt @ 2001-08-27 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Boyd Roberts

>> sigh, damned Reply-To: headers.  that was meant for boyd only,
>> obviously.

BR> this is probably an object lesson in bad user interface design.

BR> windows hides all those headers that _i_ want to see.
<snip>
BR> windows also has two reply modes, when it only needs one.

windows? you mean Outlook Express
Other mail clients *are* available

I use TheBat http://www.ritlabs.com/the_bat/

packed with features some of which you may like
(regex filtering for instance)

Matt (damn there's two of us now)

* Re: Re[2]: [9fans] Re: Keyboard mapping
@ 2001-08-27 11:24     ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-08-27 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> windows? you mean Outlook Express

i do.

> Other mail clients *are* available

there are.

> I use TheBat http://www.ritlabs.com/the_bat/

i am am sick of installing s/w on this pile of pus.

you are in a twisty maze of incompatible, unworkable s/w, all alike.

* Re[2]: [9fans] Re: Keyboard mapping
@ 2001-04-06 10:20 steve.simon
From: steve.simon @ 2001-04-06 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

On the serious note of copeing with RSI: Raising
my monitor and chair by 6 inches, and finding a mouse
with buttons that require only a light pressure but
then move a significant amount helped me a great deal.

-Steve

[snip]
 the acme-style mouse chording...

what concerns me about the chord interface is that the stress issue
is overlooked. i avoid chord-related RSI by carefully avoiding too much
chording on wily. that slows me down, but avoids a much worse situation.
[i gave up emacs years ago because of left-hand control-stress.]

i also wanted to say earlier that sam is fine the way it is. its
popup menu is nearly as fast as chords, and does not appear to
induce stress.

[snip]