* [9fans] exporting a namespace
@ 2009-04-21 10:39 hugo rivera
From: hugo rivera @ 2009-04-21 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi,
this is probably a very basic question, but I am becoming quite
frustrated since I am not able to do what I want.
Imagine that I have 2 plan 9 installations. I just want to share a
namespace from one into the other using exportfs and import (or
whatever is needed). I do not want to authenticate the connections or
anything similar.
I did try import, exportfs, srvfs, listen, aan and maybe some other
tools but I am simply not able to access one namespace from one
machine from the other (they are really two 9vx instances on the same
machine).
I always end up with some factotum error. This is likely to be very
simple (given plan 9's nature) but I am now seriously confused with
the roles of import, exportfs, etc and how to skip authentication. I
read the man pages and some papers about file servers but I only see
complex examples and I am not able to figure out how to do it.
Saludos

--
Hugo

* Re: [9fans] exporting a namespace
@ 2009-04-21 11:17 ` Mathieu Lonjaret
From: Mathieu Lonjaret @ 2009-04-21 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Running 9vx is not exactly the same as running a cpu/file server, be it
natively or in qemu/vmware/whatnot. I haven't managed to use 9vx as a cpu
server (although I haven't tried very hard so far) while it's pretty
easy to do what you want once you have set up a "real" cpu server.

So you might want to replace one of the 9vx instances with a plan 9
install and then follow that guide:
http://www.plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Configuring_a_standalone_CPU_server/index.html
that one might be usefull as well:
http://www.plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Drawterm_to_your_terminal/index.html

Cheers,
Mathieu

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 4427 bytes --]

From: hugo rivera <uair00@gmail.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: [9fans] exporting a namespace
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 12:39:41 +0200

@ 2009-04-21 11:26   ` hugo rivera
From: hugo rivera @ 2009-04-21 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

thanks a lot. Probably I will need qemu.

--

@ 2009-04-21 15:18   ` Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2009-04-21 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 07:17, Mathieu Lonjaret wrote:
// Running 9vx is not exactly the same as running a cpu/file server...

This is certainly true, but isn't really relevant here.

If you're looking to do ad hoc sharing, the easiest way is probably
with listen1, exportfs, and import. I just tested this in two 9vx
instances on the same machine (which already had my normal one
running):

9vx 1:
	:; 9fs wiki
	post...
	:; ls /mnt/wiki | wc
	    235     235    6413
	:; aux/listen1 -tv 'tcp!*!12345' /bin/exportfs

(the -v isn't really needed there)

9vx 2:
	:; ls /mnt/wiki
	:; import -A tcp!localhost!12345 /mnt/wiki
	:; ls /mnt/wiki | wc
	    235     235    6413

aux/listen1 grabs a network port (tcp port 12345 on all interfaces, in
this invocation) and when a new connection comes in, runs
/bin/exportfs, which has a little protocol to negotiate what namespace
to export and then exports it. on the other host, import dials the
exportfs listener started above and mounts the /mnt/wiki exported
there on its own namespace.

that's my understanding of what you're after, anyway. if there's
something else you're looking for, just drop a note.

* Re: [9fans] exporting a namespace
@ 2009-04-21 15:40     ` hugo rivera
From: hugo rivera @ 2009-04-21 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

This was exactly what I was trying to do, thank you very much.
It works just fine in 9vx.
Saludos

@ 2009-04-21 15:54       ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2009-04-21 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 8:40 AM, hugo rivera <uair00@gmail.com> wrote:
> This was exactly what I was trying to do, thank you very much.
> It works just fine in 9vx.

could your problem have been port # collision? i.e. all the port #s
are shared between 9vx instances (unless my memory has totally gone).

ron

* Re: [9fans] exporting a namespace
@ 2009-04-21 16:03         ` hugo rivera
From: hugo rivera @ 2009-04-21 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2009/4/21, ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com>:
> could your problem have been port # collision? i.e. all the port #s
>  are shared between 9vx instances (unless my memory has totally gone).

I am not really sure, but all the errors I got where related to factotum files.

--

@ 2011-01-15 20:14           ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2011-01-15 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Just FYI, I wanted to verify that this works and I just did.

Having a 9vx function as the fs for an Ovaro (TI OMAP)

 sudo ~/src/plan9/vx32/src/9vx/9vx -r   ~/src/9vx-0.12/

The sudo is important.

Then in the 9vx instance:
 aux/listen1 -v  tcp!*!564 /bin/exportfs -s

Then I boot the Ovaro:
Filename '9beagletxt'.
Load address: 0x80310000
         #########################
done
Bytes transferred = 1315056 (1410f0 hex)
Overo # tftpboot 80300000 0015c928d6a1
smc911x: detected LAN9221 controller
smc911x: phy initialized
smc911x: MAC 00:15:c9:28:d6:a1
Using smc911x-0 device
TFTP from server 192.168.2.1; our IP address is 192.168.2.5
Filename '0015c928d6a1'.
Load address: 0x80300000
done
Bytes transferred = 207 (cf hex)
Overo # go 80310000

and then it all comes up with prompts:

filesystem IP address[no default]: 192.168.2.1
authentication server IP address[no default]: 192.168.2.1
bad nvram key
bad authentication id
bad authentication domain
authid: bootes
authdom: YOURNAMEHERE
secstore key:
password:
can't write key to nvram: jmk added reentrancy for threads
version...time...
Password:
Confirm password:
192.168.2.5 Jan 15 15:03:21 cron for upas owned by rminnich
192.168.2.5 Jan 15 15:03:21 cron for root owned by rminnich
192.168.2.5 Jan 15 15:03:21 cron for sys owned by rminnich

init: starting /bin/rc
192.168.2.5#

The point being that 9vx is a perfectly capable way to have an fs
for all your service needs :-)

Thanks to Geoff for his infinite patience with my questions ...

ron

* Re: [9fans] exporting a namespace
@ 2011-01-16 15:43             ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2011-01-16 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

You mean an Overo? Is there any place where I can watch the ARM port
status for all these different devices?

@ 2011-01-16 20:04               ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2011-01-16 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 7:43 AM, hiro <23hiro@googlemail.com> wrote:
> You mean an Overo?

yea, sorry, I keep misspelling it.

>  Is there any place where I can watch the ARM port
> status for all these different devices?

sources :-)
ron