* [9fans] r-pi usbotg error
@ 2014-03-09 15:34 Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
From: Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan @ 2014-03-09 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi,

I just wanted to report an error I just saw on my r-pi which had been
running for the last ~3 hours or so. While I was away from the
keyboard, the screen was up and after a while I saw it going blank.
The keyboard is no longer active though I still have a working mouse.
On the console output, I see these prints:

usbotg: ep6.1 error intr 00000082
kb: /dev/usb/ep6.1: read: i/o error
kb: exiting

--
  Ramakrishnan

* Re: [9fans] r-pi usbotg error
@ 2014-03-09 15:39 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-03-09 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sun Mar  9 11:36:30 EDT 2014, vu3rdd@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just wanted to report an error I just saw on my r-pi which had been
> running for the last ~3 hours or so. While I was away from the
> keyboard, the screen was up and after a while I saw it going blank.
> The keyboard is no longer active though I still have a working mouse.
> On the console output, I see these prints:
>
> usbotg: ep6.1 error intr 00000082
> kb: /dev/usb/ep6.1: read: i/o error
> kb: exiting

that very occasionally happens to me.  try replugging the keyboard.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] r-pi usbotg error
@ 2014-03-09 15:41 ` Rubén Berenguel
From: Rubén Berenguel @ 2014-03-09 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Sounds like the keyboard went idle (on its own!?) and the Rasp lost
connection to it. ep6.1 is the name of a USB device (something about
logical unit devices or something,) you can try unplugging something and
you'll see similar things pop up. kb is complaining the keyboard went away,
and since there is no keyboard, died. You could try ungplugging it and
plugging it in.

On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 4:34 PM, Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan <vu3rdd@gmail.com
> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just wanted to report an error I just saw on my r-pi which had been
> running for the last ~3 hours or so. While I was away from the
> keyboard, the screen was up and after a while I saw it going blank.
> The keyboard is no longer active though I still have a working mouse.
> On the console output, I see these prints:
>
> usbotg: ep6.1 error intr 00000082
> kb: /dev/usb/ep6.1: read: i/o error
> kb: exiting
>
> --
>   Ramakrishnan

* Re: [9fans] r-pi usbotg error
@ 2014-03-09 15:44   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-03-09 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Sounds like the keyboard went idle (on its own!?) and the Rasp lost
> connection to it. ep6.1 is the name of a USB device (something about
> logical unit devices or something,) you can try unplugging something and
> you'll see similar things pop up. kb is complaining the keyboard went away,
> and since there is no keyboard, died. You could try ungplugging it and
> plugging it in.

00000082 -> transaction error.  "transaction error" is too vague to
pinpoint a culprit.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] r-pi usbotg error
@ 2014-03-09 15:47     ` Rubén Berenguel
From: Rubén Berenguel @ 2014-03-09 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I'd bet almost always on the keyboard/periferal device, though.

On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 4:44 PM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net>wrote:

> > Sounds like the keyboard went idle (on its own!?) and the Rasp lost
> > connection to it. ep6.1 is the name of a USB device (something about
> > logical unit devices or something,) you can try unplugging something and
> > you'll see similar things pop up. kb is complaining the keyboard went
> away,
> > and since there is no keyboard, died. You could try ungplugging it and
> > plugging it in.
>
> 00000082 -> transaction error.  "transaction error" is too vague to
> pinpoint a culprit.
>
> - erik

* Re: [9fans] r-pi usbotg error
@ 2014-03-09 16:15   ` Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
From: Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan @ 2014-03-09 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 9:11 PM, Rubén Berenguel <ruben@mostlymaths.net> wrote:
> Sounds like the keyboard went idle (on its own!?) and the Rasp lost
> connection to it. ep6.1 is the name of a USB device (something about logical
> unit devices or something,) you can try unplugging something and you'll see
> similar things pop up. kb is complaining the keyboard went away, and since
> there is no keyboard, died. You could try ungplugging it and plugging it in.

Yes, indeed, it came back to life after unplugging and re-plugging. Thanks.

Of course, I will be happy to collect any more data to help debug this.

* Re: [9fans] r-pi usbotg error
@ 2014-03-09 16:21     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-03-09 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sun Mar  9 12:16:42 EDT 2014, vu3rdd@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 9:11 PM, Rubén Berenguel <ruben@mostlymaths.net> wrote:
> > Sounds like the keyboard went idle (on its own!?) and the Rasp lost
> > connection to it. ep6.1 is the name of a USB device (something about logical
> > unit devices or something,) you can try unplugging something and you'll see
> > similar things pop up. kb is complaining the keyboard went away, and since
> > there is no keyboard, died. You could try ungplugging it and plugging it in.
>
> Yes, indeed, it came back to life after unplugging and re-plugging. Thanks.
>
> Of course, I will be happy to collect any more data to help debug this.

unfortuantely, i don't know what to ask for.

i am not convinced that this is a device problem.  and i can't
just now think of a test that could prove the issue one way or
the other.

due to the cronic lack of documentation, and the error's lack of
specificityi think the right way to debug these sorts of issues is to
get a usb analyzer.  i don't think i have the free $$ to do this on
for fun right now, unfortunately.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] r-pi usbotg error
@ 2014-03-09 16:24       ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-03-09 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> specificityi think the right way to debug these sorts of issues is to

looks like i could use a keyboard<->chair protocol analyzer, too.  who
knows what's wrong with that connection.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] r-pi usbotg error
@ 2015-02-18 16:48     ` Steven Stallion
                         ` (5 more replies)
From: Steven Stallion @ 2015-02-18 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 11:15 AM, Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan <
vu3rdd@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 9:11 PM, Rubén Berenguel <ruben@mostlymaths.net>
> wrote:
> > Sounds like the keyboard went idle (on its own!?) and the Rasp lost
> > connection to it. ep6.1 is the name of a USB device (something about
> logical
> > unit devices or something,) you can try unplugging something and you'll
> see
> > similar things pop up. kb is complaining the keyboard went away, and
> since
> > there is no keyboard, died. You could try ungplugging it and plugging it
> in.
>
> Yes, indeed, it came back to life after unplugging and re-plugging. Thanks.

Last night I finally got around to getting a B+ I've had sitting in the
closet and converted it to a terminal. I'm seeing this same problem. I've
tried unplugging multiple keyboards and have also tried using a powered
hub. I'm at a loss. Has anyone else figured out how to deal with this issue?

Steve

* Re: [9fans] r-pi usbotg error
@ 2015-02-18 17:17       ` Joe Bowers
                         ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Joe Bowers @ 2015-02-18 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I'm not experiencing this issue (I've got a cheapo, 5+ year old USB
keyboard, of make and model that I don't recall, attached to a B+ that's
been running for a few days without an issue, plugged directly into the B+)
Could it be associated with particular keyboard models?

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 8:48 AM, Steven Stallion <sstallion@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 11:15 AM, Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan <
> vu3rdd@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 9:11 PM, Rubén Berenguel <ruben@mostlymaths.net>
>> wrote:
>> > Sounds like the keyboard went idle (on its own!?) and the Rasp lost
>> > connection to it. ep6.1 is the name of a USB device (something about
>> logical
>> > unit devices or something,) you can try unplugging something and you'll
>> see
>> > similar things pop up. kb is complaining the keyboard went away, and
>> since
>> > there is no keyboard, died. You could try ungplugging it and plugging
>> it in.
>>
>> Yes, indeed, it came back to life after unplugging and re-plugging.
>> Thanks.
>>

> Last night I finally got around to getting a B+ I've had sitting in the
> closet and converted it to a terminal. I'm seeing this same problem. I've
> tried unplugging multiple keyboards and have also tried using a powered
> hub. I'm at a loss. Has anyone else figured out how to deal with this issue?
>
> Steve

* Re: [9fans] r-pi usbotg error
@ 2015-02-18 18:37       ` Quintile
                         ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Quintile @ 2015-02-18 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I use a standard dell keyboard with my b, not b+, and never had a problem.

> On 18 Feb 2015, at 16:48, Steven Stallion <sstallion@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 11:15 AM, Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan <vu3rdd@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 9:11 PM, Rubén Berenguel <ruben@mostlymaths.net> wrote:
>> > Sounds like the keyboard went idle (on its own!?) and the Rasp lost
>> > connection to it. ep6.1 is the name of a USB device (something about logical
>> > unit devices or something,) you can try unplugging something and you'll see
>> > similar things pop up. kb is complaining the keyboard went away, and since
>> > there is no keyboard, died. You could try ungplugging it and plugging it in.
>>
>> Yes, indeed, it came back to life after unplugging and re-plugging. Thanks.
>
> Last night I finally got around to getting a B+ I've had sitting in the closet and converted it to a terminal. I'm seeing this same problem. I've tried unplugging multiple keyboards and have also tried using a powered hub. I'm at a loss. Has anyone else figured out how to deal with this issue?
>
> Steve

* Re: [9fans] r-pi usbotg error
@ 2015-02-18 20:10         ` Sean Hinchee
From: Sean Hinchee @ 2015-02-18 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I've had mixed results between keyboards. From what I have experienced
the keyboards that have usb hubs built into them drop, but the keyboards
without hubs (or with the hub wire unplugged) didn't drop connection. ymmv
On 2/18/15 12:37 PM, Quintile wrote:
> I use a standard dell keyboard with my b, not b+, and never had a problem.
>

> On 18 Feb 2015, at 16:48, Steven Stallion <sstallion@gmail.com
> <mailto:sstallion@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 11:15 AM, Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
>> <vu3rdd@gmail.com <mailto:vu3rdd@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 9:11 PM, Rubén Berenguel
>>     <ruben@mostlymaths.net <mailto:ruben@mostlymaths.net>> wrote:
>>     > Sounds like the keyboard went idle (on its own!?) and the Rasp lost
>>     > connection to it. ep6.1 is the name of a USB device (something
>>     about logical
>>     > unit devices or something,) you can try unplugging something
>>     and you'll see
>>     > similar things pop up. kb is complaining the keyboard went
>>     away, and since
>>     > there is no keyboard, died. You could try ungplugging it and
>>     plugging it in.
>>
>>     Yes, indeed, it came back to life after unplugging and
>>     re-plugging. Thanks.
>>

>> Last night I finally got around to getting a B+ I've had sitting in
>> the closet and converted it to a terminal. I'm seeing this same
>> problem. I've tried unplugging multiple keyboards and have also tried
>> using a powered hub. I'm at a loss. Has anyone else figured out how
>> to deal with this issue?
>>
>> Steve

* Re: [9fans] r-pi usbotg error
@ 2015-02-18 20:50       ` Bakul Shah
                         ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Bakul Shah @ 2015-02-18 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, 18 Feb 2015 10:48:22 CST Steven Stallion <sstallion@gmail.com> wrote:

> Last night I finally got around to getting a B+ I've had sitting in the
> closet and converted it to a terminal. I'm seeing this same problem. I've
> tried unplugging multiple keyboards and have also tried using a powered
> hub. I'm at a loss. Has anyone else figured out how to deal with this issue?

Just curious. Does this depend on which of the 4 ports is used
or happens with any of them?

* Re: [9fans] r-pi usbotg error
@ 2015-02-18 22:00           ` Steven Stallion
From: Steven Stallion @ 2015-02-18 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 2:10 PM, Sean Hinchee <henesy.dev@gmail.com> wrote:

>  I've had mixed results between keyboards. From what I have experienced
> the keyboards that have usb hubs built into them drop, but the keyboards
> without hubs (or with the hub wire unplugged) didn't drop connection. ymmv

Interesting. Both keyboards I tried had hubs built in. I have a generic
Lenovo on the way (should be here tomorrow). I'll give that a shot.

From: Steven Stallion @ 2015-02-18 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 2:50 PM, Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Feb 2015 10:48:22 CST Steven Stallion <sstallion@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Last night I finally got around to getting a B+ I've had sitting in the
> > closet and converted it to a terminal. I'm seeing this same problem. I've
> > tried unplugging multiple keyboards and have also tried using a powered
> > hub. I'm at a loss. Has anyone else figured out how to deal with this
> issue?
>
> Just curious. Does this depend on which of the 4 ports is used
> or happens with any of them?

I've tried every port to no avail.

* Re: [9fans] r-pi usbotg error
@ 2015-02-18 22:04             ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2015-02-18 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I am on my Pi terminal now.

I have a Dell KB1421 keyboard and an
IBM M-U0013-0 (3 button optical) mouse.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] r-pi usbotg error
                         ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-02-19  3:42       ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2015-02-19  3:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Last night I finally got around to getting a B+ I've had sitting in the
> closet and converted it to a terminal. I'm seeing this same problem. I've
> tried unplugging multiple keyboards and have also tried using a powered
> hub. I'm at a loss. Has anyone else figured out how to deal with this issue?

i've had good luck, once i fixed some userland usb niggles.  i've put a
kernel up on /n/atom/ftp/^(s9pi 9pi)^.bz2 if you'd like to try it.

it would be fun to roll up a usb debugging image a bit later this week,
if it's still an issue.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] r-pi usbotg error
                         ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-02-19  3:43       ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2015-02-19  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

oh, and remember that a *powered* hub is pretty much essential.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] r-pi usbotg error
                         ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-02-19  5:07       ` Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
From: Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan @ 2015-02-19  5:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015, at 10:18 PM, Steven Stallion wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 11:15 AM, Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
> <vu3rdd@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 9:11 PM, Rubén Berenguel
>> <ruben@mostlymaths.net> wrote:
>>
> Sounds like the keyboard went idle (on its own!?) and the Rasp lost
>>
> connection to it. ep6.1 is the name of a USB device (something
> about logical
>>
> unit devices or something,) you can try unplugging something and
> you'll see
>>
> similar things pop up. kb is complaining the keyboard went away,
> and since
>>
> there is no keyboard, died. You could try ungplugging it and
> plugging it in.
>>
>> Yes, indeed, it came back to life after unplugging and re-plugging.
>> Thanks.
>
> Last night I finally got around to getting a B+ I've had sitting in
> the closet and converted it to a terminal. I'm seeing this same
> problem. I've tried unplugging multiple keyboards and have also tried
> using a powered hub. I'm at a loss. Has anyone else figured out how to
> deal with this issue?

I just used a powered hub and it worked fine.

* Re: [9fans] r-pi usbotg error
@ 2015-02-19  7:06           ` k0ga
From: k0ga @ 2015-02-19  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I've had mixed results between keyboards. From what I have experienced
> the keyboards that have usb hubs built into them drop, but the keyboards
> without hubs (or with the hub wire unplugged) didn't drop connection. ymmv
> On 2/18/15 12:37 PM, Quintile wrote:

I have a similar problem. I have a usb kvm and I share the keyboard and
mouse between a PC and the r-pi. When I switch from the PC to
the r-pi there is usbotg error, but if I swtich again to the PC
and again to the r-pi then it works (it means I have to switch
twice each time I want to use the r-pi).

Regards,

* Re: [9fans] r-pi usbotg error
@ 2015-02-19 12:14         ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2015-02-19 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> oh, and remember that a *powered* hub is pretty much essential.

Just for the record, I use a classic IBM clicky Model M with a ps2/usb
adapter, and a very cheap generic chinese usb keyboard, both problem
free without any external hub.

Patch /n/sources/patch/maybe/usb-short-desc makes a lot more keyboards
work (especially some with hubs).

While working on the pi2, I have discovered one glitch which also seems
to be the case on the B+ but not the B or A: after rebooting with the
"reboot" command (as opposed to resetting the power or using ^t^tr)
the keyboard won't respond without being unplugged and replugged.
Perhaps the built-in 4-port hub on these pi models needs some sort
of reset which the 2-port hub doesn't.

* Re: [9fans] r-pi usbotg error
@ 2015-02-20  3:04           ` sstallion
From: sstallion @ 2015-02-20  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> oh, and remember that a *powered* hub is pretty much essential.
>
> Just for the record, I use a classic IBM clicky Model M with a ps2/usb
> adapter, and a very cheap generic chinese usb keyboard, both problem
> free without any external hub.
>
> Patch /n/sources/patch/maybe/usb-short-desc makes a lot more keyboards
> work (especially some with hubs).

Unfortunately I didn't see any change with usb-short-desc applied, though switching to the Lenovo did the trick. I'm very happy with how the new terminal is shaping up so far.

Thanks!

Steve

* Re: [9fans] r-pi usbotg error
@ 2015-02-20  3:25             ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2015-02-20  3:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Unfortunately I didn't see any change with usb-short-desc applied,
> though switching to the Lenovo did the trick.  I'm very happy with how
> the new terminal is shaping up so far.

can you send me the info on the unhappy keyboard?  i'd like to buy
one and figure out what's going on.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] r-pi usbotg error
@ 2015-02-20 13:27               ` Steven Stallion
From: Steven Stallion @ 2015-02-20 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 9:25 PM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net>
wrote:

> > Unfortunately I didn't see any change with usb-short-desc applied,
> > though switching to the Lenovo did the trick.  I'm very happy with how
> > the new terminal is shaping up so far.
>
> can you send me the info on the unhappy keyboard?  i'd like to buy
> one and figure out what's going on.

I had attempted to use a Sun Type 7 and an Apple wired (full size)
keyboard. Both have hubs builtin.

Steve

* Re: [9fans] r-pi usbotg error
@ 2015-02-20 14:13                 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2015-02-20 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I had attempted to use a Sun Type 7 and an Apple wired (full size)
> keyboard. Both have hubs builtin.

the apple wired keyboard comes in several flavors.  do you mean the slim on
or the thick one?  i think there's a code on the back.

the thick one has trouble.  i should go back and look at that.  i think i posted
some of my issues to 9fans last year.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] r-pi usbotg error
@ 2015-02-20 15:39                   ` sstallion
From: sstallion @ 2015-02-20 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> I had attempted to use a Sun Type 7 and an Apple wired (full size)
>> keyboard. Both have hubs builtin.
>
> the apple wired keyboard comes in several flavors.  do you mean the slim on
> or the thick one?  i think there's a code on the back.
>
> the thick one has trouble.  i should go back and look at that.  i think i posted
> some of my issues to 9fans last year.

This was the newer (thin) model. I picked up about a year ago.

Steve