* PoE Support for Plan9 on RPI 4B/3B+?
@ 2020-03-23 19:15 barrywasdell
From: barrywasdell @ 2020-03-23 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I have four Raspberry Pi model 4B boards and a Raspberry Pi model 3B+
board and would like to know whether or not Power over Ethernet (PoE) is
supported by the Pi9 port.

Has anyone attempted to power a Plan9 cluster/grid over PoE? What PoE
network switches would you recommend? Were there any issues? Richard
Miller?

To be clear, a PoE network enables boards to be powered over an Ethernet
network if a side-board (HAT) is connected. [1] A PoE network switch
conforming to IEEE 802.3af delivers power through the each Pi's RJ45
network connector over Cat 5 cabling. [2]

To my knowledge, neither the 9front kernel sources nor the documented
list of supported hardware, specifically mentions PoE. [3] It seems the
network switch and HAT negotiate power delivery independently of the
kernel so I cannot think of a reason why Plan9 would not support
powering this way.

References
[1]: https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/introducing-power-over-ethernet-poe-hat/
[2]: https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/1213877
[3]: https://9p.io/wiki/plan9/Supported_PC_hardware/index.html

--
Barry Wasdell (bwasd)

* Re: [9fans] PoE Support for Plan9 on RPI 4B/3B+?
@ 2020-03-23 21:22 ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2020-03-23 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The PoE hat shouldn't need any software support. I don't have one, but it's
basically a DC-DC converter. The Pi PoE hat has an Attiny processor for
temperature sensing/fan operation.

You can also use a PoE splitter (48V->5V/2.4A micro USB) which would work
for all Pi's.

-Skip

@ 2020-03-24 12:16   ` Chris McGee
From: Chris McGee @ 2020-03-24 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)