* Re: [9fans] unicode input for OSX-native drawterm
       [not found] <14ec7b180710291805w79dbfa72p815d72b7a0d5f134@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2007-10-30  1:20 ` underspecified
From: underspecified @ 2007-10-30  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs; +Cc: inferno-list, acme-sac

*sigh* I don't need to complain, but this is *exactly* what I have been
working on in Acme SAC for the last month.
We *really* need some way of getting the drawterm/emu/acme-sac OS X code in
sync...

--underspecified

@ 2007-10-30  1:39   ` underspecified
From: underspecified @ 2007-10-30  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs; +Cc: inferno-list, acme-sac

I apologize for being grumpy in my last post.

While we are talking about Unicode input in OS X, I feel I should put in my
2 cents' worth.
In Carbon, input events (from the keyboard, IMEs, character maps, etc.)
generate Unicode text input events.
If the Unicode events are not handled by your app, then raw keyboard events
are generated.
What our apps really need is to handle Unicode text events. That will make
it possible for Bulgarian keyboards,
Japanese IMEs, and math symbols from the special chars table to work in
drawterm, emu, what-have-you-not.
I've already implemented handlers for Unicode input events in Acme SAC for
OS X.

Grabbing the Unicode chars from kEventRawKeyDown might work for Bulgarian,
but it doesn't scale.
The problem with doing everything in Unicode is that we need to redo all of
our special character checks and
conversion to use Unicode values instead of MacCharCodes. I've been working
on Unicode-based special
character handling as well, but the code is still a bit buggy.

With the release of Leopard, it looks like Apple is finally phasing out
Carbon. It has been brought up a couple
of times on various lists, but the future of p9/inferno apps on OS X is
ideally a Cocoa rewrite. This would actually
take care of a lot of the annoying aspects of internationalized text input
for us. I wish I had the time and Objective
C knowledge to undertake such a project.

Anyway, could I propose an osx-ip9 Google group or mailing list, so that all
of us Mac hackers working on different
apps can keep current on what others are working on?

--underspecified

@ 2007-10-30  8:07     ` Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2007-10-30  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

THere's no much traffic on the list. using the inferno and/or 9fans lists
to report what's being done to port emu/drawterm to macs would be nice.

I guess I'll have to learn cocoa if I want to be able to adjust our inferno in
the futue.

@ 2007-10-30  8:42       ` Noah Evans
From: Noah Evans @ 2007-10-30  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I messed around with cocoa and emu for a couple of hours a while back.
I can give a few pointers for anyone starting from stratch(or
implement it if there's a cocoa expert willing to help me). The
primary problem was setting up the runtime manually(os x cocoa
applications do a lot of the work for you behind the scenes, win.c's
way of doing things doesn't work that way so you have to do it
yourself).

I'm really enjoying how many people are working on OS X these days.
Acme-sac for OSX especially.

Noah

@ 2007-11-03 15:14         ` Paul Lalonde
From: Paul Lalonde @ 2007-11-03 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

(Sorry to come in late, I've been on the road all week)

One thing about doing this Cocoa port --- I've been reflecting on
this since Leopard was announced as dropping Carbon --- is that we
should probably take the opportunity to build the front-end, simple
as it is, using the recommended gui tool chain.  It doesn't uglify
the distribution build process, and lets us address (by doing nothing
more) most of the bugs I put in when I did the Carbon port.  Our
needs are simple: we just post one image, appropriately resized, in
one window.  The code interface requires an objective-C to C++
wrapper to hand back that image for writing and its converse, mouse
event & keyboard communication (trivial) and probably a short
function to handle the resize event.  It should be substantially
simpler than the twisted little maze of Carbon calls.

Paul

@ 2007-11-03 15:23           ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2007-11-03 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Carbon is still in Leopard.  Just built the latest native drawterm
using it like 5 minutes ago.

@ 2007-11-03 18:50             ` Tom Lieber
From: Tom Lieber @ 2007-11-03 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 11/3/07, David Leimbach <leimy2k@gmail.com> wrote:
> Carbon is still in Leopard.  Just built the latest native drawterm
> using it like 5 minutes ago.

Yes, it's just that its days have been numbered by Apple.

--
Tom Lieber
http://AllTom.com/

* Re: [9fans] unicode input for OSX-native drawterm
@ 2007-11-04  7:24               ` Jeff Sickel
From: Jeff Sickel @ 2007-11-04  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Nov 3, 2007, at 1:50 PM, Tom Lieber wrote:

> On 11/3/07, David Leimbach <leimy2k@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Carbon is still in Leopard.  Just built the latest native drawterm
>> using it like 5 minutes ago.
>
> Yes, it's just that its days have been numbered by Apple.

and like old OS 9, it's dead.. no longer being supported or going
anywhere.

That said, we're lucky that the current drawterm code in Carbon
behaves properly:  Apple does not support any GUI code or event loops
from Cocoa or Carbon in anything other than the main thread--and the
current Carbon port is a direct reflection of the X11 ports, which
let child threads create their own event loops to handle drawing: a
direct conflict w/ the current supported architecture for Carbon or
Cocoa.

I'd like to see a Cocoa front end that is launched as a separate
process.  Sure you take a bit of a hit on the pass-thru, but you can
then let the Cocoa event loop do it's odd things on top of Mach and
let drawterm and other code use the Plan 9 model.

jas

* Re: [9fans] unicode input for OSX-native drawterm
@ 2007-11-04 10:54                 ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2007-11-04 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Apple does not support any GUI code or event loops
> from Cocoa or Carbon in anything other than the main thread--and the

some people just never learn.
i think they should stick to consumer gadgets.