* Re: [9fans] mothra
@ 2000-07-19 16:59 Randolph Fritz
From: Randolph Fritz @ 2000-07-19 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

A few thoughts:

  It occurs to me that the "grail" browser, written mostly in Python and
  incomplete, might be a good candidate for Plan 9 usage.  Maybe...

  There was also, in the acme paper I read, a brief mention of making
  acme display other data types than plain text.  Did anything ever come
  of that?

--
Randolph Fritz
Eugene, Oregon, USA

* Re: [9fans] Re: we need help...
@ 2003-10-28 16:38 matt
From: matt @ 2003-10-28 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

there's not *that* much wrong with mothra.
The aforementioned cookies, and I'd like to be able snarf text too.

One thing I've often wanted to put together was a web browser that browsed the HTML but with live links

I've not really looked at the mothra source despite being interested in doing so.

* Re: [9fans] mothra
@ 2000-07-19 18:29 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2000-07-19 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>  There was also, in the acme paper I read, a brief mention of making
>  acme display other data types than plain text.  Did anything ever come
>  of that?

Beyond some early experiments, no.  It's still on my list.

-rob

* Réf. : Re: [9fans] mothra
@ 2000-07-19 12:05 boyd.roberts
From: boyd.roberts @ 2000-07-19 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

    The next real hard part is getting the layout (especially tables!)

sed | tbl | troff

you see the way i'm thinking?

* Re: [9fans] mothra
@ 2000-07-18 18:33 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2000-07-18 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i agree with skip

 From cse.psu.edu!owner-9fans Wed Apr  8 00:45:34 EDT 1998
From: "Fariborz "Skip" Tavakkolian" <prognet.com!skipt>
Subject: Re: [9fans] netscape

Isn't porting Netscape to Plan9 one of the signs of Armageddon?

* Re: [9fans] mothra
@ 2000-07-18 18:26 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2000-07-18 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Hopefully not.  Maybe Opera, but does one really need Netscape's
> near-operating system effort just to present a few pictures?
>
>>Perhaps the way to approach it is to make Mozilla into a Plan 9
>>terminal. :)  (Only joking.  I think.)

Possibly.

Chris Locke wrote an Inferno plug-in for Internet Explorer that lets
you run a full Inferno session (including window manager, charon and Acme)
in an explorer page.  Inferno is running in the page, it's not just
a terminal, although it can obviously then mount remote services.

* Re: [9fans] mothra
@ 2000-07-18 15:38 miller
From: miller @ 2000-07-18 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

If anyone is nostalgic for mothra itself, I've just about finished
adapting it (and the panel library, which I needed for my teletext
browser) to the 3rd edition graphics model.  Mothra may only be able
to cope with a small subset of today's websites, but for that subset
it's quick and effective. (I've borrowed from lynx the idea of displaying
frames as a list of links, so that framed sites can be navigated
without having to lay them out fully.)  Because it ignores what it
doesn't understand, mothra can often glean some useful content from a
page where charon tries too hard and just draws a blank.  And using
mothra I don't have to worry about malicious scripts and cookies ...

Anyone with a 2nd edition license can get a boddle from me.

-- Richard Miller

* Re: [9fans] mothra
@ 2000-07-18 13:37 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2000-07-18 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > I'd rather see web access be one aspect of a system in
> > which the pieces work in concert.

> Isn't that what caused Microsoft some trouble?

No.

-rob

* Re: [9fans] mothra
@ 2000-07-18 13:15 Sape Mullender
From: Sape Mullender @ 2000-07-18 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: owner-9fans, 9fans

Rob writes:
> I'd rather see web access be one aspect of a system in
> which the pieces work in concert.

Isn't that what caused Microsoft some trouble?

	Sape

* Re: [9fans] mothra
@ 2000-07-18 12:51 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2000-07-18 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I have a vague feeling that this can be mapped onto a filesystem, or am
> I dreaming?

It has to be done very very carefully because URLs are not a naming
system.  C.f. the discussion earlier on this topic, I argue for a model
more like /net than ftpfs.  We've started explorations in that direction,
but it's too early to tell if we'll get anywhere useful.

-rob

* Re: [9fans] mothra
@ 2000-07-18 12:49 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2000-07-18 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Hopefully not.  Maybe Opera, but does one really need Netscape's
> near-operating system effort just to present a few pictures?

Opera is indeed a better idea.  I tried to engage them about doing
a port to Plan 9 but didn't even receive the courtesy of a reply.

-rob

* Re: [9fans] mothra
@ 2000-07-18 12:48 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2000-07-18 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Surely somebody must be trying to port Mozilla to Plan 9?

While that would be better than no browser at all, Mozilla is
just the sort of stand-alone monolith that we're trying to
argue against. And of course, everyone else in the world is
trying to turn their system into a giant web browser. I'd rather
see web access be one aspect of a system in which the pieces
work in concert.

-rob

* [9fans] mothra
@ 2000-07-17 13:49 boyd.roberts