* Re: [9fans] Re: Keyboard mapping
@ 2001-04-06 11:46 rog
From: rog @ 2001-04-06 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> it is, but you have to throw the n button mouse away.  HOTAS has no
> chording because you don't want to be concentrating on getting the
> chord [i play guitar too] right when you should be concentrating
> on the kill or your own survival.

luckily, in acme, unlike in military fighter jet aeroplanes,
you always have Undo...

* Re: [9fans] Re: Keyboard mapping
@ 2001-08-26  9:28 geoff
From: geoff @ 2001-08-26  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

sigh, damned Reply-To: headers.  that was meant for boyd only,
obviously.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1595 bytes --]

From: Boyd Roberts <boyd@insultant.net>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] Re: Keyboard mapping
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 08:32:22 GMT

"Dan Cross" <cross@math.psu.edu> a crit dans le message news:
200104050116.VAA21585@augusta.math.psu.edu...
> Oh, sounds like DDT under ITS.  Where's TECO?  I want my EMACS....

teco?  you were lucky.  when i were a lad ...

* Re: [9fans] Re: Keyboard mapping
@ 2001-08-26  9:27 geoff
From: geoff @ 2001-08-26  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

just came across this again in pruning back my 9fans mail.

aye, we had to use tops-10 `d' and `e' (deposit and examine) commands.
and before that, enter programs in binary through the front panel.
and you try and tell the young people of today that, and they won't believe you.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1595 bytes --]

From: Boyd Roberts <boyd@insultant.net>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 08:32:22 GMT

@ 2001-04-06 15:05 Colin DeVilbiss
From: Colin DeVilbiss @ 2001-04-06 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> TECO was a pretty good text editor (C versions are available
> on the Net).  The main thing it had over, e.g., sam is multiple
> "Q-registers" instead of a single snarf buffer.  There are
> situations where those come in mighty handy.

Speaking of, what is everybody's favorite way to deal with this in sam
and acme?  The clearest thing I have come up with is creating a seperate
``scratch'' window and putting anything I might need later into it.
Any other ideas?

--
Colin DeVilbiss
crdevilb@mtu.edu

* Re: [9fans] Re: Keyboard mapping
@ 2001-04-05 16:46 rog
From: rog @ 2001-04-05 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Hands On Throttle And Stick:  all the useful stuff is at your fingertips

that sounds like an argument *for* chording, rather than against.  "all
the useful stuff is at your fingertips" is just how it feels with to me
with the acme-style mouse chording...

isn't it possible for a successful experiment to turn into a useful
piece of technology?

* Re: [9fans] Re: Keyboard mapping
@ 2001-04-05 16:41 presotto
From: presotto @ 2001-04-05 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

*IYOU GOTTA BE KIDDING$EX$$

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1683 bytes --]

From: Boyd Roberts <boyd@insultant.net>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 08:32:22 GMT

@ 2001-04-05 11:41 rog
From: rog @ 2001-04-05 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> read up on HOTAS.

some sort of joystick?

* Re: [9fans] Re: Keyboard mapping
@ 2001-04-04 17:34 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-04-04 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

	chording?  that just leads to morse code.

I don't know.  Then we could set things up so
that if you hold down F4, you can use the
left and middle mouse buttons to toggle in
commands to an in-memory kernel debugger.

(Two-button mouse users would use Shift-F4
and left and right mouse buttons.)

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Re: Keyboard mapping
@ 2001-03-30 13:50 presotto
From: presotto @ 2001-03-30 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Not really, if your keyboard is producing latin1, then kbd.c in the kernel
is going to screw it up because it'll mask off the hight bit and run the
characters through kbtab in kbd.c.  Got a pointer to what one really produces?
If its a standard, we should just put both mappings in kbd.c and have a plan9.ini
parameter switch between them.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1648 bytes --]

From: Boyd Roberts <boyd@planete.net>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] Re: Keyboard mapping
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 08:37:40 GMT

David Rubin <dlrubin@hotmail.com> a crit dans le message :
3AC22B4C.25F0953@hotmail.com...

> http://cm.bell-labs.com/who/presotto/kbdmap.c

has this been tested on a latin-1 keyboard where
you can type 8 bit chars?

* [9fans] Keyboard mapping
@ 2001-03-28 16:16 ramon
From: ramon @ 2001-03-28 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

	Hi, plan9 people.

	I've just installed plan9 on a PC. Works fine! If I convince
the hardware guy, I'll be able to install more before they fire me. :-)

	The question is, is there any way to remap the keyboard layout,
as I'm using a spanish layout keyboard?

	Maybe I'm skipping something?

	Thanks.

--