* Re: [9fans] Oooops...where is ls -R gone?
@ 2001-08-16  1:32 dmr
From: dmr @ 2001-08-16  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> kinda weird how find(1) got deprecated.  like dd(1), the options
>> were ghastly, but it got the job done.

> There was no find in research Unix, AFAIK, but I never used it directly
> (except older PDP-11 versions on emulators).  find(1) is too limited; you
> have everything you need with du and the shell.

No, it was there, in 6th and 7th editions and thereafter.  A
xenograft from USG, but there, albeit with a BUGS section
saying "The syntax is painful."

 > Hmm...  In terms of Unix, it would be nice if something >7th ed could
 > make it's way out of Bell Labs.  I think at this point, it'd be more for
 > historical or academic interest than anything else.  I wonder what SCO
 > would have to say about the issue?

There are those chipping away at this.  Part of the problem
is that the SCO Unix property is (or has) transitioned to Caldera.
Yet another new company in which to find someone who can make
a decision.

	Dennis

* Re: [9fans] Oooops...where is ls -R gone?
@ 2001-08-16 12:12 rog
From: rog @ 2001-08-16 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> and pure boneheaded determinism.

ahhh, the truth comes out. boyd is a deterministic automaton!

* Re: [9fans] Oooops...where is ls -R gone?
@ 2001-08-09  2:33 anothy
From: anothy @ 2001-08-09  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i find myself doing things like this alot:
	ls -l `{du -a . | awk '{print $2}'}
	grep foo `{du -a . | awk '{print $2}'
given how often i do the bit inside the `{} i should
probably script it, but i havn't yet. i've found this to
be quite useful with lots of cases, so i've not gone
the "find" route rog suggested (which would make
it a bit more specific than i like).
-α.

* Re: [9fans] Oooops...where is ls -R gone?
@ 2001-08-08  9:38 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-08-08  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

is it really a rage 128?

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1761 bytes --]

From: pac <cej@cejchan.gli.cas.cz>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] Oooops...where is ls -R gone?
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2001 09:27:13 +0200

Hi all,

just weanted to say that I've just got an old enough Ati Rage128 card to be able to install Plan9 on my box!
Excellent! The installation process was the smoothest one I've ever seen.  Now I'm trying to learn to think
plan9ish, not unixish....

... how can I do ls -R?

Thanks, regards,
Peter