From: Geoff Collyer <geoff@collyer.net>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] samuel
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 16:15:12 -0800	[thread overview]

sam provides more than a GUI; the other face of its user interface is
a command language in which composition from simpler commands provides
considerable power.

I wasn't aware that Limbo existed in the '70s; can you cite a
reference?  One could argue that Java is merely Limbo done badly and
with lots of complex yet unhelpful class libraries piled on.  And who
cares if we're using languages and tools from the '70s?  The good ones
survive.  Or are we just not hep enough?  Following fashion has never
interested me.

> But, if you insist on building systems which require an IQ of more
> than 100 to operate, then by definition you are excluding more than
> 1/2 of the world's population from using the system.

This is a stunning statement.  If we prefer systems that haven't been
dumbed-down, we're horrible elitist scum.  Given the plentiful supply
of stupidity on this planet, I'll take the systems that require an IQ
above room temperature to understand and use.  There are lots of other
existing systems for the bottom half of the IQ curve to use.