* Re: [9fans] New language?
@ 2002-07-17  7:33 Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2002-07-17  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> More seriously, I'm happy to work further on Alef, but I have long
> ago accepted Bell Labs' view that maintaing the libraries is a
> disaster.

Is there any way to generate them automatically or to permit
Alef to bind to C ones somehow? Does it use different conventions
in the object files?

* Re: [9fans] New language?
@ 2002-07-17  8:21 ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2002-07-17  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 09:33:55AM +0200, Fco.J.Ballesteros wrote:

> > More seriously, I'm happy to work further on Alef, but I have long
> > ago accepted Bell Labs' view that maintaing the libraries is a
> > disaster.
>
> Is there any way to generate them automatically or to permit
> Alef to bind to C ones somehow? Does it use different conventions
> in the object files?

I assume that Bell Labs have looked at this, although not all their
decisions have been entirely flawless.

As I read it, it's a bitch because the procedure call interface is
different from "C".  I haven't looked at the internal details, and
I'm less than confident that I would get very far.  If forsyth
chose to get involved (or rog, perhaps) we'd have a strong chance.

But if things settle down, it may well be worth it.  In addition,
Alef is still experimental, it can pick up quite a lot from Limbo,
if the interest exists (I didn't realise how many features of Alef
I had overlooked in my initial study of it - some of them are
probably obsolete, even, others may be extremely useful).

If the interest is there, I'm happy to put some effort towards
keeping Alef alive.  I am not sufficiently up to date, in an academic
sense, to drive language-based changes, though.

++L

* Re: [9fans] New language?
@ 2002-07-17  6:23     ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2002-07-17  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 10:45:02PM -0700, GBA wrote:

> Don't know much about Limbo, but have you seen this?
>
> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/index.html

What, no tuples?!

More seriously, I'm happy to work further on Alef, but I have long
ago accepted Bell Labs' view that maintaing the libraries is a
disaster.

I see the "D" people mention "versioning".  I'm insufficiently
knowledgeable to decide whether that is something I would appreciate
or despise.  I know NetBSD is hooked on it (in the sense that meat
hangs from hooks in refrigerators, sadly) because of their use of
dynamic libraries.

I guess that makes it a useful solution, if you can't get rid of
the problem in the first place.

++L

* Re: [9fans] New language?
@ 2002-07-17  5:45   ` GBA
From: GBA @ 2002-07-17  5:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Don't know much about Limbo, but have you seen this?

http://www.digitalmars.com/d/index.html

> Too true.  What then, a new language based on C pulling the
> yummy stuff out of limbo?  One that's not interpreted, without
> a garbage collector, and no atend >:), but that has tuples, array bounds
> checking, etc?  At this point should we just considering loosening up
> Oberon a little and making a few additions?
>
> I'd be willing to help so long as we fix the BCPL inherited '&'
> precedence.
>
> Sam

* [9fans] New language?
@ 2002-07-16 17:09 ` Sam