* Re: [9fans] /sys/src/^(9 boot)^/pc/memory.c
@ 2002-09-18 16:46 Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2002-09-18 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i think that's what we found when we did VESA-based
work for Inferno.  i'm happy to parcel that up yet
again if anyone's seriously interested in adapting it
for Plan 9, or even current Inferno, or anything else
for that matter, but it takes time to find all the bits,
so be reasonably sure you're going to have the stamina.
other `buts': it relied on software cursors in Inferno;
it relied on non-trivial changes to the bootstrap code
to do real-mode (unreal mode more like) BIOS calls
to gather data before loading the kernel, because cards
didn't implement the 32-bit variants; and it's all
a bit involved.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1571 bytes --]

From: "Russ Cox" <rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] /sys/src/^(9 boot)^/pc/memory.c
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 07:38:59 -0400

> VBE/AF Standard 1.0

Right.  If I recall correctly and nothing has changed since
then (neither is overwhemlingly likely; it was 1999), most
cards don't bother implementing this part of the standard.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] /sys/src/^(9 boot)^/pc/memory.c
@ 2002-09-18 11:38 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-09-18 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-09-18  4:49 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-09-18  4:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

we already have loadable kernel modules.
they are called user-level file servers.

* Re: [9fans] /sys/src/^(9 boot)^/pc/memory.c
@ 2002-09-18  1:26 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-09-18  1:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Isn't always there the possibility to add a hwcursor also?. I think hw
> cursors are directly supported by VESA standards, but I think one
> thing is independant from another. Isn't it possible to use VESA for
> mode switching or whatever and reduce the code you have to write for
> the card to write the hwcursor support?.

VESA actually says nothing about hardware cursors
last I checked; if you're going the VESA route you
really want to reduce the necessary code to zero.
There's an important qualitative difference
between zero and non-zero.  Mainly, people who
don't write drivers are still up to the task of
writing zero lines of code.

> Another question. What is the software cursor really necessary for?
> (other than in vmware). Do there really exist modern cards
> which don't support hardware cursor?.

Full-screen VMware is another thing I'd forgotten
about.  But yes, most modern cards have hardware
cursors.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] /sys/src/^(9 boot)^/pc/memory.c
@ 2002-09-17 23:13 rob pike, esq.
From: rob pike, esq. @ 2002-09-17 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Can someone remind me why we can't use software cursors in 4e?

Another way of saying is that when the draw code was written, replacing
the bitblt driver, software cursors were left out in order to simplify things.
If you don't attempt to remove support for old cruft, it accumulates forever.
Complete rewrites are an excellent opportunity to eliminate unnecessary
compatibilities, and I think the case for software cursors  remains
weak unless you're in the 0.1% of the population that needs the support.
How much complexity should the kernel have - and require people to
maintain -  for low-deployment devices?

-rob

* Re: [9fans] /sys/src/^(9 boot)^/pc/memory.c
@ 2002-09-17 22:58 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-09-17 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Can someone remind me why we can't use software cursors in 4e?

Because the code doesn't exist.

Usually the code also complicates lots of other
aspects of the system, so it's been easier just to
implement the hardware cursor drivers.  If I ever
really want VESA-based drivers, I'll need a software
cursor implementation.  I have some ideas about
doing it without complicating everything else,
but they're not particularly well formed.

* Re: [9fans] /sys/src/^(9 boot)^/pc/memory.c
@ 2002-09-17 22:56 rob pike, esq.
From: rob pike, esq. @ 2002-09-17 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Because the code was hideous (the mouse is hideous enough as is) and
because almost all VGAs in use have hardware support.

The mouse needs its Nth complete rethink, given the advent of USB mice.
It's someone else's turn, though.

-rob

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1484 bytes --]

From: Scott Schwartz <schwartz@bio.cse.psu.edu>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 18:08:06 -0400

@ 2002-09-17  7:57 Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2002-09-17  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i know it's needed on earlier thinkpads, at least, to allow pcmcia
cards to work.  i remember a frustrating attempt to get a modem card
going on the butterfly thinkpad that was resolved by a similar change
(once i'd finally noticed that a Linux pcmcia configuration file
handled the thinkpad specially and started its equivalent scan at
0xD0000, presumably because the thinkpad has got something else there).

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2242 bytes --]

From: YAMANASHI Takeshi <uncover@beat.cc.titech.ac.jp>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 13:19:15 0900

Just allow me to describe my case...

 :
> Sadly I don't remember why I changed that.
> It was a long time ago.  I think umbscan is just
> flawed at the moment

umbscan thought that the starting umb address is
0xCA000.  But reading the cis mapped at the
address ever returned 0xFF.  The change fixed the
cis reading problem and 3C562 started to work.

Thanks.

* Re: [9fans] /sys/src/^(9 boot)^/pc/memory.c
@ 2002-09-17  4:19 YAMANASHI Takeshi
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2002-09-17  4:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-09-17  2:58 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-09-17  2:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I noticed boot/pc/memory.c has the line:
> 	p = KADDR(0xD0000); /*RSC: changed from 0xC0000 */
> but 9/pc/memory.c remains still:
> 	p = KADDR(0xC0000);
>
> I don't know what I did, but without changing the
> 9/pc/memory.c according to boot's, 3C562 didn't work
> on my laptop (MITSUBISHI Pedion).

Sadly I don't remember why I changed that.
It was a long time ago.  I think umbscan is just
flawed at the moment -- we really need to grab
the BIOS memory map before we dive into
protected mode, and use that instead of guessing
at these things.

Russ

* [9fans] /sys/src/^(9 boot)^/pc/memory.c
@ 2002-09-17  2:40 YAMANASHI Takeshi
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2002-09-17  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I noticed boot/pc/memory.c has the line:
	p = KADDR(0xD0000); /*RSC: changed from 0xC0000 */
but 9/pc/memory.c remains still:
	p = KADDR(0xC0000);

I don't know what I did, but without changing the
9/pc/memory.c according to boot's, 3C562 didn't work
on my laptop (MITSUBISHI Pedion).

Russ>
> I still do one-machine kernel development more often
> than I'd like, and it's just no fun.

I had to do one-machine kernel investigation in this case
for I have only one laptop.  It was somewhere between
reasonable pain and extreme fun.