* Re: [9fans] Origin of glenda, movies and dog food
@ 2002-10-09  3:06 presotto
From: presotto @ 2002-10-09  3:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

It started long before Plan 9.  Why do you think our original Unix editor was
called 'ed'?

We're thinking of renaming acid, 'necromania'.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2123 bytes --]

From: "Skip Tavakkolian" <fst@centurytel.net>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] Origin of glenda, movies and dog food
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 19:14:19 -0400

A lot of us, outside of the Bell Labs, have speculated that there is a
game of association at play, with references (obvious and not so
obvious) to various Ed Wood movies as well as other cult classics.
Nobody is sure about this because the Labs guys have protected the
details of their inside joke better than the Pentagon protected their
invasion plans for Somalia.  There are several such pun/associations.
Have fun finding them for yourself.

BTW, anybody else consider the movie "Welcome to Woop Woop"
9-pun-worthy?

@ 2002-10-09  6:18 ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2002-10-09  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> We're thinking of renaming acid, 'necromania'.

Well, at least we now know what it's called `acid.'

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] Origin of glenda, movies and dog food
@ 2002-10-15 10:47     ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2002-10-15 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Anthony Mandic wrote:

> I always thought Woop Woop was the name of a real town
> but it doesn't appear to be according

Yeah, Woop Woop is a town, like Broken Hill is 'just west of' Sydney.

* Re: [9fans] Origin of glenda, movies and dog food
@ 2002-10-15  9:51 ` Anthony Mandic
From: Anthony Mandic @ 2002-10-15  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Dennis Ritchie wrote:

>  > BTW, anybody else consider the movie "Welcome to Woop Woop"
>  > 9-pun-worthy?
>
> I had never heard of this work of art, but the
> Apollo movie guide summary
> does suggest possibilities,

	Well, it IS an Australian film but it doesn't approach
	any of Ed Woods Jr.'s great works.

> though American would want adjusting to Canadian.

	Eh?

-am	© 2002

From: Anthony Mandic @ 2002-10-15  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Dan Cross wrote:

> > Certainly, that would require a bit of a stretch.
>
> Certainly..  ``G'day, mate!''  ``eh?''  Oh God.  Does this have an
> AC/DC soundtrack?

	Its been a while and I can't recall. I always thought Woop Woop
	was the name of a real town but it doesn't appear to be according
	to my postcode listings.

	Other double W town names that might amuse are -

	Wagga Wagga, Walla Walla, Wank Wauk, Wangi Wangi, Wee Waa,
	Whian Whian, Won Wron, Wood Wood, Wool Wool and Woy Woy.

-am	� 2002

* Re: [9fans] Origin of glenda, movies and dog food
@ 2002-10-09 21:46 Andrew Simmons
From: Andrew Simmons @ 2002-10-09 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>A lot of us, outside of the Bell Labs, have speculated that there is
>a game of association at play, with references (obvious and not so
>obvious) to various Ed Wood movies as well as other cult classics.

It obviously goes way beyond Ed Wood movies. The talk of "trampoline
code" a while back was an obvious reference to the leaping nuns of
the order of St Beryl from the original "Bedazzled". And then there
were the posts from "Michael Baldwin", the fictitious "New Bruce"
from the Monty Python philosophers sketch, a sketch also alluded to
in Mr Pike's "Notes on Programming in C".

* Re: [9fans] Origin of glenda, movies and dog food
@ 2002-10-09  6:20 ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2002-10-09  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-10-09  3:48 ` Roman V. Shaposhnick
From: Roman V. Shaposhnick @ 2002-10-09  3:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 07:14:19PM -0400, Skip Tavakkolian wrote:
> A lot of us, outside of the Bell Labs, have speculated that there is a
> game of association at play, with references (obvious and not so
> obvious) to various Ed Wood movies as well as other cult classics.

  That is exactly what I was thinking, I'm slowly indulging in a fine
  art of Ed Wood's movies and I must say, that they are not that bad,
  you know, they are just hard to comprehend at times. Well, I guess
  I digressed ;-).

Thanks,
Roman.

P.S. Inferno seems to have more down to earth ( and under ? ) type of cultural
references.
P.P.S. Sorry, digressed again.

* Re: [9fans] Origin of glenda, movies and dog food
@ 2002-10-09  3:23 Dennis Ritchie
From: Dennis Ritchie @ 2002-10-09  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

 > BTW, anybody else consider the movie "Welcome to Woop Woop"
 > 9-pun-worthy?

I had never heard of this work of art, but the
Apollo movie guide summary

  An American is captured in a foreign land by a group of
  neurotic Australians, where Roger and Hammerstein
  musicals entertain and the town of Woop Woop is a
  comedic Lord of the Flies for an adult age.
  Tasteless and loud.

does suggest possibilities, though American

@ 2002-10-09  0:13 Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2002-10-09  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-10-08 23:53 Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2002-10-08 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> We're thinking of renaming acid, 'necromania'.

Now I'll have an excuse to rent it. Sure to be
a stumper at the video store.

* [9fans] Origin of glenda, movies and dog food
@ 2002-10-08 23:14 Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2002-10-08 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans