* [9fans] wireless/cellular connectivity?
@ 2004-02-09  1:19 a
From: a @ 2004-02-09  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

okay, my feelings on a certain parallel thread regarding
plan9's value in a single-system setup not withstanding, i
think we can all agree that plan9 does *best* in a
networked environment.

to that end, i'm wondering if anyone's done any work with
getting plan9 talking to any of the cellular data
networks out there. RTT is available pretty much
everywhere in the US now, and EVDO, with throughput of
around 130kb/s, is available in some key areas. and of
course there's the GSM stuff, GPRS and... some other "G"
acronym i can't remember right now (any others of note
i'm missing?). it'd be nice to get a plan9 or inferno
device on the net this way.

i've used both plan9 and inferno on PDAs, as well as
PalmOS, linux, and WinCE (briefly!). i've not been
generally impressed by PDAs in general, mostly because
the feel so crippled, and removed from my *real*
computing resources (hefty processors, big storage).
plan9 or inferno were the only ones that felt like
they overcame this, but that was over WiFi - no range.

this seems particularly relevant as the higher-end
cell phones start squeezing out PDA functionality
(and, i suspect, the \x10PDA market, given ~2 years).

perhaps relevantly, inferno runs on the OMAP chip,
right? it'd be nice to see inferno on, say, these:
http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/Feb2003/4953.htm
(well, okay, it'd be *nicer* if japan didn't use their
own "special" cell tech...).
ア

* Re: [9fans] wireless/cellular connectivity?
@ 2004-02-09  1:56 ` Jim Choate
From: Jim Choate @ 2004-02-09  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 a@9srv.net wrote:

> okay, my feelings on a certain parallel thread regarding
> plan9's value in a single-system setup not withstanding, i
> think we can all agree that plan9 does *best* in a
> networked environment.

No, it was designed for -distributed- environments.

Not the same thing. P9 offers -no- significant advantage from the
perspective of a single user wanting to keep all their 'stuff' on a single
box. Whether that single box is networked or not is irrelevant. What
matters is that it is a -single- box tied do a -location-.

P9 offers global sign on at a level all other OS'es drool about.

 -- --

Open Forge, LLC  24/365 Onsite Support for PCs, Networks, & Game Consoles
512-695-4126 (Austin, Tx.)  help@open-forge.com  irc.open-forge.com

Hangar 18  Open Source Distributed Computing Using Plan 9 & Linux
512-451-7087  http://open-forge.org/hangar18  irc.open-forge.org

James Choate  512-451-7087  ravage@ssz.com  jchoate@open-forge.com

* Re: [9fans] wireless/cellular connectivity?
@ 2004-02-09  1:58   ` a
From: a @ 2004-02-09  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

sigh.

so... about that question...?

@ 2004-02-09  2:00   ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2004-02-09  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> No, it was designed for -distributed- environments.

would you care to elaborate on this point?

WiFi is just a 100m wireless IP interface.

* Re: [9fans] wireless/cellular connectivity?
@ 2004-02-09  5:43 ` Kenji Okamoto
From: Kenji Okamoto @ 2004-02-09  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> (well, okay, it'd be *nicer* if japan didn't use their
> own "special" cell tech...).

Actually, I've heard many times from Japanese broadcasting,
that Japan is leading world on this cell tech....
However, I also know that Japan didn't invent this celler phone
itself.   I don't trust japanese broadcasting so much, though.☺

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] wireless/cellular connectivity?
@ 2004-02-09  6:08   ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2004-02-09  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Actually, I've heard many times from Japanese broadcasting,
> that Japan is leading world on this cell tech....

AFAIK .jp followed .us, but in interesting ways.

* Re: [9fans] wireless/cellular connectivity?
@ 2004-02-09  6:24     ` Kenji Okamoto
From: Kenji Okamoto @ 2004-02-09  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> Actually, I've heard many times from Japanese broadcasting,
>> that Japan is leading world on this cell tech....
>
> AFAIK .jp followed .us, but in interesting ways.

Of course, I know it. (grin)
I was just kidding.

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] wireless/cellular connectivity?
@ 2004-02-09  6:40       ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2004-02-09  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I was just kidding.

hai, wakarimashita!!

* Re: [9fans] wireless/cellular connectivity?
@ 2004-02-09  9:34   ` a
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: a @ 2004-02-09  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

// ...Japan is leading world on this cell tech....

for clarity, i'm refering to the network, not the phones. they
have a derivative of one of the "main" networks (pretty sure
it's GSM) that just isn't compatable with the one used in the
rest of the world. thus most japanese phones are useless
elsewhere in the world.

however, i'd say japan is certainly leading the world in cell
tech, at least compared to other places i've seen. when i was
there three (?) years ago, camera phones were everywhere, for
example, well before they were more than a rarity in the US.
Japan also makes much more extensive use of SMS stuff (although
again, i'm not sure if it's technically the same there), with
GB (where i am now, for some months) in between.

@ 2004-02-09 10:04     ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2004-02-09 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> for clarity, i'm refering to the network, not the phones. they
> have a derivative of one of the "main" networks (pretty sure
> it's GSM) that just isn't compatable with the one used in the
> rest of the world.

there are 3 GSM nets:

    900Mhz GSM [standard]
    DCS 1800Mhz [GSM-ish]
    1900Mhz GSM [US]

* Re: [9fans] wireless/cellular connectivity?
@ 2004-02-09 10:05     ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2004-02-09 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> GB (where i am now, for some months) in between.

GSM + DCS 1800

* Re: [9fans] wireless/cellular connectivity?
@ 2004-02-10  0:48       ` bs
From: bs @ 2004-02-10  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

boyd, rounin wrote:
>>for clarity, i'm refering to the network, not the phones. they
>>have a derivative of one of the "main" networks (pretty sure
>>it's GSM) that just isn't compatable with the one used in the
>>rest of the world.
>

> there are 3 GSM nets:
>
>     900Mhz GSM [standard]
>     DCS 1800Mhz [GSM-ish]
>     1900Mhz GSM [US]

and 800(850 actually) used by Cingular & AT&T for transition
from TDMA

* Re: [9fans] wireless/cellular connectivity?
@ 2004-02-10  0:57         ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2004-02-10  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> and 800(850 actually) used by Cingular & AT&T for transition
> from TDMA

eh?  GSM is TDMA.

* Re: [9fans] wireless/cellular connectivity?
@ 2004-02-10  0:58     ` Kenji Okamoto
From: Kenji Okamoto @ 2004-02-10  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> for clarity, i'm refering to the network, not the phones. they
> have a derivative of one of the "main" networks (pretty sure
> it's GSM) that just isn't compatable with the one used in the
> rest of the world. thus most japanese phones are useless
> elsewhere in the world.

There is a company named J-Phone, spread around Kansai
area (including Osaka) uses that compatible cellular phone, I've
heard.  That is a branch company of Boderphone(Spell?).
I'm not a cell phone user, because I hate it.  I don't want to be
called when I'm in my personal time. ☺

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] wireless/cellular connectivity?
@ 2004-02-10  1:03       ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2004-02-10  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I'm not a cell phone user, because I hate it.  I don't want to be
> called when I'm in my personal time. ☺

some phones have allow groups.  unfortunately, i haven't seen
any with deny groups.  i just get caller id to sort 'em out and
voice mail to clean 'em up.

* Re: [9fans] wireless/cellular connectivity?
@ 2004-02-10  1:12           ` Peter Bosch
From: Peter Bosch @ 2004-02-10  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> and 800(850 actually) used by Cingular & AT&T for transition
>> from TDMA
>
> eh?  GSM is TDMA.

yup, but att tdma != gsm.

* Re: [9fans] wireless/cellular connectivity?
@ 2004-02-10  1:18             ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2004-02-10  1:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> yup, but att tdma != gsm.

that's what i was implying and already  knew.

* Re: [9fans] wireless/cellular connectivity?
@ 2004-02-10  1:27           ` bs
From: bs @ 2004-02-10  1:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

boyd, rounin wrote:
>>and 800(850 actually) used by Cingular & AT&T for transition
>>from TDMA
>

> eh?  GSM is TDMA.

GSM is a TDMA standard.
TDMA could be analog or digital, but GSM is all digital.

* Re: [9fans] wireless/cellular connectivity?
@ 2004-02-10  1:32       ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2004-02-10  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>I'm not a cell phone user, because I hate it.  I don't want to be
>>called when I'm in my personal time. ☺
>>Kenji

well done, kenji!

* Re: [9fans] wireless/cellular connectivity?
@ 2004-02-10  1:35         ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2004-02-10  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

--On 2004-2-10 1:32 AM +0000 Charles Forsyth <forsyth@terzarima.net>
wrote:

>>> I'm not a cell phone user, because I hate it.  I don't want to be
>>> called when I'm in my personal time. ?

Is your cell phone's off button broken?

The off button on my cell phone works just fine, and quite frequently.
And except for the last few weeks while I've been working on my boat
(and had a landline pulled in to get DSL) my cell phone is my *only*
phone.)

--lyndon

* Re: [9fans] wireless/cellular connectivity?
@ 2004-02-10  2:06           ` Kenji Okamoto
From: Kenji Okamoto @ 2004-02-10  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Is your cell phone's off button broken?

Probably, it's concerns what kind of life style does one
want, I think.   I feel something awe in such 'convenient'
life style...  I may be a strange man in the present world though.

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] wireless/cellular connectivity?
@ 2004-02-10  2:33             ` Kenji Okamoto
                                 ` (2 more replies)
From: Kenji Okamoto @ 2004-02-10  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Probably, it's concerns what kind of life style does one
> want, I think.   I feel something awe in such 'convenient'
> life style...  I may be a strange man in the present world though.

I should have been more specific.
I see many girls, especially, are playing with cellular phone,
writing short mails and games and reading some web pages
in _the train_.   I don't like such kind of life style myself.

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] wireless/cellular connectivity?
@ 2004-02-10  2:38               ` David Presotto
From: David Presotto @ 2004-02-10  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Get their numbers...

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2243 bytes --]

From: Kenji Okamoto <okamoto@granite.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] wireless/cellular connectivity?
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 11:33:35 +0900

@ 2004-02-10  2:43               ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2004-02-10  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I see many girls, especially, are playing with cellular phone,
> writing short mails and games and reading some web pages
> in _the train_.   I don't like such kind of life style myself.

nope.  i just have one to be contacted just about anywhere,
to save buying an answering machine, say where _are_ you
and to call in the dust off ...

* Re: [9fans] wireless/cellular connectivity?
@ 2004-02-10  2:45                 ` Kenji Okamoto
From: Kenji Okamoto @ 2004-02-10  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Get their numbers...

No, I don't.
They looks like so foolish to me...
They, probably, never read books, and take meditation.
This is just my guess, however, I suppose I'm right.

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] wireless/cellular connectivity?
@ 2004-02-10  3:11               ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2004-02-10  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004, Kenji Okamoto wrote:
> I should have been more specific.
> I see many girls, especially, are playing with cellular phone,
> writing short mails and games and reading some web pages
> in _the train_.   I don't like such kind of life style myself.

Tell them you're a Plan 9 guy and I guarantee they'll turn those phones
off and turn their attention to you.

ron

* Re: [9fans] wireless/cellular connectivity?
@ 2004-02-10  3:21                 ` Kenji Okamoto
From: Kenji Okamoto @ 2004-02-10  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Tell them you're a Plan 9 guy and I guarantee they'll turn those phones
> off and turn their attention to you.

I have experiences to explain what is Plan 9 to ones who
don't like to know.   It was a most hard thing, and gave up.

I saw a girl is playing Tetris on her celluar phone.
In this case, I was surprised.   Hmmm, girls can be a tetris
fans, too.

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] wireless/cellular connectivity?
@ 2004-02-10  3:23                 ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2004-02-10  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Tell them you're a Plan 9 guy and I guarantee they'll turn those phones
> off and turn their attention to you.

get a Glenda t-shirt.  they'll think she's cute ;)

* Re: [9fans] wireless/cellular connectivity?
@ 2004-02-10  3:47                     ` George Michaelson
From: George Michaelson @ 2004-02-10  3:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 20:46:04 -0800 9nut@9netics.com wrote:

>>> Tell them you're a Plan 9 guy and I guarantee they'll turn those phones
>>> off and turn their attention to you.
>>
>> get a Glenda t-shirt.  they'll think she's cute ;)
>
>Also, another thread today seems to suggest that librarians are
>susceptible to Plan9 prowess and paraphernalia.  If you find a
>librarian playing tetris on her phone, you should make your move.
>___

My wife can get a three-stage rocket on the gameboy tetris with hiscore over
250,000 -But I'd rather you didn't make your move while I'm still here...

Still, she's a former bookseller not a librarian. So maybe the affinities are
different.

-George

* Re: [9fans] wireless/cellular connectivity?
@ 2004-02-10  4:46                   ` 9nut
From: 9nut @ 2004-02-10  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

☺