* Re: [9fans] 9term customization
@ 2004-12-10 15:51 Richard C Bilson
From: Richard C Bilson @ 2004-12-10 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> But 9pm is old and unmaintained, and I've seen it behave
> strangely and/or crash under some newer versions of
> Windows.  You may be out of luck, unless you want to try
> to fix it.

I can confirm that -- on XP I can't get shell functions to work
at all.  I tried poking at it a while back, but it was before
the free release of the MS C compiler, so I was trying to make
it compile under gcc, which begat more problems, which led me
to give up in the end.

* RE: [9fans] 9term customization
@ 2004-12-09 21:21 Gabriel Cosentino de Barros
       [not found] ` <2814F26DA6908F41927A81C410C4991A02079BE7@siamun.server.bl. corp.intranet>
From: Gabriel Cosentino de Barros @ 2004-12-09 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs'

> From: Andrew Simmons [mailto:andrew.simmons@monitorbm.co.nz]
> >To be honest, i got this some months ago, just before i installed plan9
> >distro at home. And only now i'm back to using it. so i don't realy
> >remember where i got it :) Here's the readme.txt:
> That would be the port of the second edition tools, which as far as I know

> doesn't include acme.

hum.. true... what's the acme thingy i'm running here? maybe it's inferno
indeed. It's just that after i instaled those things the workload just got
high.

> On the up-arrow thing, I used to find it disconcerting at first, but now I

> wouldn't want to go back. It's really liberating to be able to use the
> whole area of the 9term window as a scratchpad in which to assemble
> commands, highlight them, and execute using the right mouse button and
> "send" command. Try it a bit more, and you might get to love it.

yeah, that way is not all that bad. I was snarfing, pasting, clicking on the
end, pressing return. but i still think that that taking the hands off the
keyboard is pointless here. maybe something like csh's !! and history would
do the trick...

> I don't know about the prompt - I prefer it without the path, which takes
> up most of the line these days, especially if, which God forbid, you're in

but if you really need to know the path, not having it in the prompt (or how
i set my xterms, in the window title) is a little dangerous while doing ten
things at a time... specialy if you have memory like mine :)

Gabriel

* [9fans] 9term customization
@ 2004-12-08 23:13 Gabriel Cosentino de Barros
From: Gabriel Cosentino de Barros @ 2004-12-08 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)