* [9fans] Can't start multiple copies of acme
@ 2013-12-13 17:18 Blake McBride
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Blake McBride @ 2013-12-13 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Greetings,

I am using p9p on a Mac.

I am able to start any number of copies of sam as expected.  Acme runs well
too, but I can only start a single copy.  If I try to start a second copy I
get:

9pserve: announce unix!/tmp/ns.blake._tmp_launch-nvfpC3_org.x:0/acme:
Address already in use
acme: can't post service: 9pserve failed

I understand that acme can display multiple files and that, perhaps, only
one copy is needed.  I am, however, experiencing two cases where starting
up an additional copy is advantageous, and not being able to start more
than one copy is a problem.

I have been able to create a Mac application out of sam & acme.  With that,
I am able to associate a file extension (txt, etc.) with an application
such that when I click on the file a copy of sam or acme is started up so
the clicked-on file can be edited.  This works perfectly with sam, but only
work for the first file with acme because of not being able to start
multiple copies.

A second issue is I am sometimes editing multiple files in acme.  Someone
calls and I have to make a quick edit to another file.  Rather than mess up
the multi-window setup I have for my current project, I'd rather start up
an additional copy of acme to edit that one file and then go back to my
untouched development environment.  (I know about dump/load.  That is very
useful, and I use it.  But I don't want to go through all those extra steps
in a quick edit situation.)

Thanks.

Blake McBride

* Re: [9fans] Can't start multiple copies of acme
@ 2013-12-13 17:31 ` User &
From: User & @ 2013-12-13 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

you may change $NAMESPACE, cf. intro(4)

% mkdir /tmp/foo; NAMESPACE=/tmp/foo acme

* Re: [9fans] Can't start multiple copies of acme
@ 2013-12-13 17:37 ` Bence Fábián
From: Bence Fábián @ 2013-12-13 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi!

Thanks for the interest in plan 9.
Three things:
If you have a question try searching http://9fans.net/archives/

To open files with p9p applications use the plumber (acme is much
better when the plumber is running too). Read the manpage and the
paper. There are some pretty cool examples on this list too. And on
some of our blogs.

To open a new acme the quickest way is to change $NAMESPACE. However
there are smoother solutions proposed in the archives.

Sorry for the promiscous mistakes.
Sent from my abacus.

@ 2013-12-13 17:57   ` Aram Hăvărneanu
From: Aram Hăvărneanu @ 2013-12-13 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

See Plumber.app too.

--
Aram Hăvărneanu

* Re: [9fans] Can't start multiple copies of acme
@ 2013-12-15 15:22   ` Blake McBride
From: Blake McBride @ 2013-12-15 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I checked.  The following shell script does the trick:

#
mkdir /tmp/acme-$$
NAMESPACE=/tmp/acme-$$ acme "$@"

@ 2013-12-15 16:00     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2013-12-15 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sun Dec 15 10:23:13 EST 2013, blake@mcbride.name wrote:

> I checked.  The following shell script does the trick:
>

> #
> mkdir /tmp/acme-$$
> NAMESPACE=/tmp/acme-$$ acme "$@"

this is swimming up stream.  acme's model is to run 1 copy of acme,
and edit all files in it.  many things, such as plumbing, will work
better with 1 copy of acme.

by the way, this limitation is p9p specific.  but still it's no
fun to have the same file get plumbed to every acme.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Can't start multiple copies of acme
@ 2013-12-15 16:33       ` Bence Fábián
From: Bence Fábián @ 2013-12-15 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I don't say it is very common, but I do run multiple acmes under
Plan 9 sometimes. With vastly different name spaces.

@ 2013-12-15 16:36       ` Blake McBride
From: Blake McBride @ 2013-12-15 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sun, Dec 15, 2013 at 10:00 AM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net>wrote:

> On Sun Dec 15 10:23:13 EST 2013, blake@mcbride.name wrote:
>
> > I checked.  The following shell script does the trick:
> >

> > #
> > mkdir /tmp/acme-$$
> > NAMESPACE=/tmp/acme-$$ acme "$@"
>
> this is swimming up stream.  acme's model is to run 1 copy of acme,
> and edit all files in it.  many things, such as plumbing, will work
> better with 1 copy of acme.

I agree completely.  I would, in general, only run one copy because that is
all that would generally be needed.  However, there are a couple
of circumstances where starting more than one copy does make sense.  I
detail those two cases in my first post in this thread.

> by the way, this limitation is p9p specific.  but still it's no
> fun to have the same file get plumbed to every acme.

As you can tell by all my posts.  All of this is new to me, and I am tring
to understand it all.  I like what I see so far, and, in fact, I have some
ideas that are germinating in my mind.  I am planning a future post about
it.

Focusing on sam & acme, I don't yet understand the plumber except in the
most vague respect.  Specifically what one can do with the plumber on p9p
is unknown to me.

On a semi-different note, I understand the great advancement Plan-9 brings
to the table with respect to making all operations part of the file system.
 On the flip side, I do not understand the benefit p9p brings to the table
with bind and friends.  It is too much of a tack-on IMO.  I deeply
appreciate native sam & acme, and would appreciate an even more native port
of same.  And, not to dispriage the true benefits of Plan-9, I would love
to see a POSIX implementation of those ideas.  (A topic of a future post.)

Thanks.

Blake

@ 2013-12-15 16:44         ` Bence Fábián
From: Bence Fábián @ 2013-12-15 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> On a semi-different note, I understand the great advancement Plan-9
> brings to the table with respect to making all operations part of
> the file system.  On the flip side, I do not understand the benefit
> p9p brings to the table with bind and friends.  It is too much of
> a tack-on IMO.  I deeply appreciate native sam & acme, and would
> appreciate an even more native port of same.  And, not to dispriage
> the true benefits of Plan-9, I would love to see a POSIX implementation
> of those ideas.  (A topic of a future post.)

A topic of loads of past posts. Look up the glendix project. It's really
hard to
bolt this stuff on a posix system and I don't really see the point anymore.
Use Plan 9 for the stuff you need it for and use some POSX system for
online poker or whatever it is we need modern browsers for.

* Re: [9fans] Can't start multiple copies of acme
@ 2013-12-15 17:13           ` Blake McBride
From: Blake McBride @ 2013-12-15 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

As I am sure you would agree, a lot of real, interesting, important, and
valuable work gets done on POSIX systems.  I'm sure we'd all agree that
Plan-9 adds important ideas to those already present in POSIX.  While some
of the implementation specifics of Plan-9 may be "hard to bold" onto a
POSIX system, I believe most of the ideas, in the abstract, can be added to
a POSIX system, in, perhaps, a different form.

Blake

@ 2013-12-16 10:15 ` dexen deVries
From: dexen deVries @ 2013-12-16 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

i'm using two Acmes all the time, with:

<<<'EOF'

#!/usr/bin/env rc

flag e +

NAMESPACE=`{namespace}^-2
mkdir -p `{namespace}
plumber || true
exec acme

EOF;

of course plumber sends to the first copy.

--
dexen deVries

[[[↓][→]]]

Take care of the luxuries and the necessities will take care of themselves.
                -- L. Long

* Re: [9fans] Can't start multiple copies of acme
@ 2013-12-14 14:54 Uvelichitel
From: Uvelichitel @ 2013-12-14 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

 Neither canonical, nor idiomatic solution but quick and dirty would be
just "sudo acme" in acme Win. That way I usually get acme with full
permission in second window. Surely, what Aram say is the correct way
to do things.
Ilya.