* Re: [9fans] List <-> News gateway?
@ 2002-02-27  3:04 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-02-27  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

 > Here's a question; how many people read comp.os.plan9 versus how many people
 > are on 9fans?  The issue has been raised that comp.os.plan9 and 9fans have
 > very different spirits, and should, perhaps, be divorced from one another.
 > What are people's opinions on this?

This seems to come up every year or so.
I don't really understand the argument --
since they are one and the same how can
they have very different spirits?

I like the facts that there is only one place and
that I don't have to use my primitive News
reader to read it.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] List <-> News gateway?
@ 2002-02-27 13:41 Matt H
From: Matt H @ 2002-02-27 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'd always assumed they were the same, I hope I'm not missing anything!

I prefer the email version because I already poll my mail server and having to poll the newserver too seems a bit of a waste.

plus I archive my mail and I'm not about to start archiving usenet!

* Re: [9fans] List <-> News gateway?
@ 2002-02-27 10:06 Roger Peppe
From: Roger Peppe @ 2002-02-27 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Here's a question; how many people read comp.os.plan9 versus how many people
> are on 9fans?  The issue has been raised that comp.os.plan9 and 9fans have
> very different spirits, and should, perhaps, be divorced from one another.
> What are people's opinions on this?

i read it by email, but have to respond via usenet these days due to
the broken mail server at cse.psu.edu.

i don't see how they could have different spirits when they they've
always been (more-or-less) the same thing.

whether they *should* be different is another question.  personally i
don't read usenet any more, so if they were split, the mailing list is
the one i'd continue to read (but i'd be unable to post to it, which
would be annoying).

  rog.

* Re: [9fans] List <-> News gateway?
@ 2002-02-27  9:13 Fco.J.Ballesteros