* Re: Again: (self)hosted Plan9? Was: [9fans] extending xen to allow driver development in Plan 9
@ 2006-12-06 22:52 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-12-06 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: litestar, 9fans

i don't see how you can blame hurd's vaporware status
on switching from mach to l4.  that happened quite reciently.
they were coding for hurd in 1990.

- erik

@ 2007-02-08 11:46 ` Harri Haataja
From: Harri Haataja @ 2007-02-08 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 05:52:49PM -0500, erik quanstrom wrote:
> i don't see how you can blame hurd's vaporware status
> on switching from mach to l4.  that happened quite reciently.
> they were coding for hurd in 1990.

Adding to the handwaving:

Generally problems in hurd seem to be blamed on the kernel. They say
mach just isn't any good so that didn't work out. I don't know if the l4
thing got anywhere and it seems that at least part of the crowd
(hurd-ng) is now arguing about profound ideas at the moment without any
code trying to figure out how to start a new(?) system without having
ever ro start over again. (<-- that's all just hand-waving, though. ianahd)

If I got the picture, there seems to be one running Hurd
(http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd/) and they're not happy with Mach and
aren't continuing. Then there's a number of groups looking for the
alternative. Maybe that's progress, but if the running mach version
doesn't go forward and no new version reaches a running state, the
usable Hurd will seem to be stuck in that state.

--
<Murgatroyd> You know you've been playing Nethack too much when...
<Murgatroyd> You look both ways down the corridor, start to sweat... then

* Re: Again: (self)hosted Plan9? Was: [9fans] extending xen to allow driver development in Plan 9
@ 2007-02-08 12:47   ` LiteStar numnums
From: LiteStar numnums @ 2007-02-08 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

The last thing I heard of the L4 port was that they had recently been
able to load an executable without a kernel panic. Not really the
progress you'd hope for (esp. considering that there are a bunch of
robust OSs based upon L4, such as L4Linux & TUD:OS).

The Wikipedia article says that there was further discussion as to
wether or not they should switch to the later L4 spec, or the Coyotos
kernel.

The 0.2 Hurd/Mach does have some nice live CDs out there currently,
although they aren't of much use considering Hurd's 'feature set'.

On 2/8/07, Harri Haataja <harriha@mail.student.oulu.fi> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 05:52:49PM -0500, erik quanstrom wrote:
> > i don't see how you can blame hurd's vaporware status
> > on switching from mach to l4.  that happened quite reciently.
> > they were coding for hurd in 1990.
>
> Adding to the handwaving:
>
> Generally problems in hurd seem to be blamed on the kernel. They say
> mach just isn't any good so that didn't work out. I don't know if the l4
> thing got anywhere and it seems that at least part of the crowd
> (hurd-ng) is now arguing about profound ideas at the moment without any
> code trying to figure out how to start a new(?) system without having
> ever ro start over again. (<-- that's all just hand-waving, though. ianahd)
>
> If I got the picture, there seems to be one running Hurd
> (http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd/) and they're not happy with Mach and
> aren't continuing. Then there's a number of groups looking for the
> alternative. Maybe that's progress, but if the running mach version
> doesn't go forward and no new version reaches a running state, the
> usable Hurd will seem to be stuck in that state.
>
> --
> <Murgatroyd> You know you've been playing Nethack too much when...
> <Murgatroyd> You look both ways down the corridor, start to sweat... then
> realise you're looking at your EMail address.

--
If work and leisure are soon to be subordinated to this one utopian
principle -- absolute busyness -- then utopia and melancholy will come

 -- Günter Grass

* Re: Again: (self)hosted Plan9? Was: [9fans] extending xen to allow driver development in Plan 9
@ 2006-12-07  1:09         ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2006-12-07  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 12/6/06, LiteStar numnums <litestar@gmail.com> wrote:
> [quote]
>  I think when Stallman did gcc and emacs, he wasn't so much in the
> current state. Isn't emacs currently stalled, anyway, as he demands
> that they fix /every/ bug in it? It's a very worthy goal, but the way
> it sounds, he's doing it in a way that will make the next emacs
> release years in the future.
> This is the same emacs that lost the leading '1' from it's version number
> since it would never see the version '2' light of day... ;-)

I think perhaps the time is approaching to make the switch to xemacs.
I've been wanting to get away from RMS's wacko crap for a while now
;-)

John "Talks About Emacs on a Plan 9 List" Floren
--
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

* Re: Again: (self)hosted Plan9? Was: [9fans] extending xen to allow driver development in Plan 9
@ 2006-12-07  0:56       ` LiteStar numnums
From: LiteStar numnums @ 2006-12-07  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2006-12-07  0:53     ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2006-12-07  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 12/6/06, erik quanstrom <quanstro@coraid.com> wrote:
> On Wed Dec  6 17:27:37 EST 2006, slawmaster@gmail.com wrote:
> > > if that were true, why has it taken almost 20 years to get a useful system?
> > >
> > > - erik
> > >

> > Because RMS is in charge?
>
> funny, nether gcc nor emacs took that long.  so it's not an
> inherent property of stallman's direction.  so it must be
> something else ... like maybe the design, or lack there of?
>
> - erik

I think when Stallman did gcc and emacs, he wasn't so much in the
current state. Isn't emacs currently stalled, anyway, as he demands
that they fix /every/ bug in it? It's a very worthy goal, but the way
it sounds, he's doing it in a way that will make the next emacs
release years in the future.

I pretty much just consider him a few noodles short of a bowl and
ignore the man. ;-)

John
--

@ 2006-12-06 22:38     ` LiteStar numnums
From: LiteStar numnums @ 2006-12-06 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

--

@ 2006-12-06 22:31   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-12-06 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2006-12-06 21:55 ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2006-12-06 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 12/6/06, erik quanstrom <quanstro@coraid.com> wrote:
> On Wed Dec  6 16:29:07 EST 2006, jorge-plan9@magma.com.ni wrote:
> > The Hurd can be run as a user space process inside The Hurd.  Made
> > feasable because of its multi-server nature: the Kernel almost does
> > not do I/O.  Thus The Hurd allegedly can be debugged and developed
> > more easily.
>
> if that were true, why has it taken almost 20 years to get a useful system?
>
> - erik

Because RMS is in charge?

John
--

@ 2006-12-06 21:38 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-12-06 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jorge-plan9, 9fans

@ 2006-12-06 21:27 ` Georg Lehner
From: Georg Lehner @ 2006-12-06 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

"ron minnich" <rminnich@gmail.com> writes:
> We have an ok xen environment going. Why are we doing this? Per a
> certain person at xyz.com, we are looking at giving people a usable
> xen-based plan 9 environment, and at the same time letting them do
> driver work from Plan 9 by "poking holes" in Xen to let Plan 9 at the
> real hardware. Xen supports this, we think, although we have not got
> it going yet ...
>
> I already like the situation thus far, as Plan 9 under Xen is a ton
> faster than Plan 9 under qemu. You have to see it to believe it; if
> anything, the Xen advantage is better than it used to be. I was
> surprised.

I have a similar situation:

- Xen helps me run several Plan9's one the same hardware

- I can give my users a Plan9 environment without taking away the OS
  they are used to work with

- Xen is much faster then Qemu, ok for production use

- as Richard Miller said: ".. the whole point of xen is that physical
  devices become Somebody Else's Problem."

However I think that the same goals could be achieved more natural,
even faster, more stable and more generally aplicable if Plan9 could
be run (self)hosted.

The Hurd can be run as a user space process inside The Hurd.  Made
feasable because of its multi-server nature: the Kernel almost does
not do I/O.  Thus The Hurd allegedly can be debugged and developed
more easily.

I guess the Plan9 Kernel could be separated in two layers, the upper
one just doing "high-level" and 9P-protocol stuff, and a lower one,
providing the #-channel interfaces to the upper layer and doing I/O.

The lower layer could either be comprised of hardware drivers for the
real hardware, or a hosting layer which intermediates between the
block devices and memory managment operations of a certain hosting
operating system and the #-channel interface to the upper layer.

Maybe this approach could also clean up the duplication of code
between 9loader and kernel I have read about in some Plan9 document.

Hardware driver development could also be eased by this approach,
since it is probably easier to pass certain hardware through to a
Linux process (the hosted Plan9 instance), than to go through the
complexities of Xen-Hypervisor - dom0 Linux - domU Plan9 interaction.

And: I know that this approach probably would increase complexity and
reduce performance with respect to the current Plan9 kernel.

Initially I have started to browse the Plan9 kernel source code, Linux
kernel docs, x86 assembler manuals etc., but I realized very fast,
that my spare time will never be sufficient to spot out all required
points to get anywhere with such a project.  However maybe there are
some folks out there who like the idea and have the knowledge to do
it.

Best Regards,

    Jorge-León