* [9fans] Anyone to try to convert Acme to full UI (w/graphics)
@ 2006-10-23  7:30 cej
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: cej @ 2006-10-23  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

??
++pac

* Re: [9fans] Anyone to try to convert Acme to full UI (w/graphics)
@ 2006-10-23 10:34 ` Alexander Sychev
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Alexander Sychev @ 2006-10-23 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi!

What exactly do you mean?

I use Acme like a full UI without rio under Plan9.
And now I'm developing a new Acme-like window manager for Inferno that
will support graphics.
I'm doing it very slowly, so results will be as soon as possible...

--
Best regards,
   santucco

* Re: [9fans] Anyone to try to convert Acme to full UI (w/graphics)
@ 2006-10-23 11:10 ` Tony Lainson
From: Tony Lainson @ 2006-10-23 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

The development branch of wmii (http://wmii.suckless.org) was I think
moving in that direction last time I looked at it (I stopped caring a
few months ago).

* Re: [9fans] Anyone to try to convert Acme to full UI (w/graphics)
@ 2006-10-23 11:56   ` Eric Van Hensbergen
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2006-10-23 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Have you looked at Omero (part of Plan B)?

       -eric

@ 2006-10-23 12:21     ` Alexander Sychev
From: Alexander Sychev @ 2006-10-23 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Not yet. I'm going to take a look at it. Thanks!

--
Best regards,
   santucco

* Re: [9fans] Anyone to try to convert Acme to full UI (w/graphics)
@ 2006-10-23 17:31 ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2006-10-23 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> ??

I think that's a marvellous idea, but not for faint-hearted people
like me.  Count me in anyway.

++L

* RE: [9fans] Anyone to try to convert Acme to full UI (w/graphics)
@ 2006-10-24  5:55     ` cej
From: cej @ 2006-10-24  5:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Yes, but i dont like cascading windows: why dont we just hide them, exposing their list in one of the 'windows'
BTW, is Omero portable to pure Plan9
i dont know, sorry, never tried,

thanks,
++pac.

@ 2006-10-24  5:55   ` cej
From: cej @ 2006-10-24  5:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>What exactly do you mean?

getting rid of menus, and of rio, if possible. wopukld also *love* to see a single command window instead of taglines (maybe my fault, but I can only move to thhe beginning or end, but not really scroll through the tagline)

i had on my mind something like Native Oberon (*NOT* bluebottle ) UI... then, acme window could také the whole screen and windows would become panes uinder acme. onme would get an Ui coupled w/text-editor immediatelly.

now, the ui philosophy semms to me to be a bit split... between rio and acme,
e.g, we must redefine 'cd' to use it under acme ...
(my inspiration was: i would like to write a simple program to do measurements within an image, and send the values (in pixels) to an acme 'pane' (window, if you like). would really like to do that with acme, with commands instead of menus)

@ 2006-10-24 15:08     ` Ronald G Minnich
From: Ronald G Minnich @ 2006-10-24 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

cej@gli.cas.cz wrote:

>>What exactly do you mean?
>

> getting rid of menus, and of rio, if possible. wopukld also *love* to see a single command window instead of taglines (maybe my fault, but I can only move to thhe beginning or end, but not really scroll through the tagline)

it all sounds great until I realize I'm going to have to deal with tiled
windows again. That's too depressing to think about on a laptop.

ron

* Re: [9fans] Anyone to try to convert Acme to full UI (w/graphics)
@ 2006-10-24 15:25     ` Alexander Sychev
From: Alexander Sychev @ 2006-10-24 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi!

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 09:55:46 +0400, <cej@gli.cas.cz> wrote:

>> What exactly do you mean?
>
> getting rid of menus, and of rio, if possible. wopukld also *love* to
> see a single command window instead of taglines (maybe my fault, but I
> can only move to thhe beginning or end, but not really scroll through
> the tagline)
>
> i had on my mind something like Native Oberon (*NOT* bluebottle ) UI...
> then, acme window could také the whole screen and windows would become
> panes uinder acme. onme would get an Ui coupled w/text-editor
> immediatelly.
>
> now, the ui philosophy semms to me to be a bit split... between rio and
> acme,
> e.g, we must redefine 'cd' to use it under acme ...

For what? If you would like to use a terminal, you should use 'win'.
I'm afraid I will fail your wishes.
I think Acme has a quite consistent UI with lot of wonderful ideas, I'm
just going to add a graphics support and make some usability improvements
I suppose are helpful (like a fullscreen mode, rows, maybe multiline tags,
etc. ).
The backward compatibility with Acme is going to be stored as far as
possible.

> (my inspiration was: i would like to write a simple program to do
> measurements within an image, and send the values (in pixels) to an acme
> 'pane' (window, if you like). would really like to do that with acme,
> with commands instead of menus)

I think a such kind of things will be implemented.

--
Best regards,
   santucco

* RE: [9fans] Anyone to try to convert Acme to full UI (w/graphics)
@ 2006-10-25  4:29       ` cej
From: cej @ 2006-10-25  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

thanks for your explanation of your point. however, don't you feel that a single big command window with probably some king of addressing the commands where to go would be more elegant that the taglines? maybe one could open her/his guidefile in the cmd-window using them from there, not via snarf-paste into the proper tagline... maybe i'm a bit biased by using long pipelines of commands that sometime don't fit within the tagline, scrolling there is somewhat problematic. also, having opened 20+files, taglines are almost equivalent to a (non-scrollable) list of open windows.
Not to make you confused: I like acme very much, just trying to share some ideas that may finally render as idiotic/unnecessarry/inconsistent/whatever...

thanks, regards,
++pac.

--
Best regards,
   santucco

* RE: [9fans] Anyone to try to convert Acme to full UI (w/graphics)
@ 2006-10-25  4:31       ` cej
From: cej @ 2006-10-25  4:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

what about if all but one, or two windows are hidden, so we'd get only these tiled windows: command, list-of-hidden, current-working ?
we have some kind of tiled windows in acme, anyway. I don't perceive much problem with acme on laptop, but I might be biased using sxga+ display.

Best regards,
++pac.

@ 2006-10-25  4:57         ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2006-10-25  4:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> however, don't you feel that
> a single big command window with probably some king of addressing the
> commands where to go would be more elegant that the taglines?

And thus begat Windows :-(

Acme is good at what it is good for.  It sucks at other things.  It will
always suck at other things.  Just like other things will always suck at
Acme.

But the last weeks list conversations have stirred a sense of nostalgia.
Are there still-working versions of Oberon out there?

--lyndon

* RE: [9fans] Anyone to try to convert Acme to full UI (w/graphics)
@ 2006-10-25 16:18         ` Joel Salomon
From: Joel Salomon @ 2006-10-25 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> getting rid of menus, and of rio, if possible. wopukld also *love* to
> see a single command window instead of taglines (maybe my fault,
> but I can only move to thhe beginning or end, but not really scroll
> through the tagline)

Seems you want to add graphics to sam, not acme.

--Joel

* RE: [9fans] Anyone to try to convert Acme to full UI (w/graphics)
@ 2006-10-25 16:33         ` Joel Salomon
From: Joel Salomon @ 2006-10-25 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I don't perceive much problem with acme on laptop, but I might be
> biased using sxga+ display.

With the number of open panes acme encourages, I find it painful on a
800×600 monitor, cramped at 1024×768, and just barely comfortable at
1600×1200.  When I win the lotto I’ll buy me one of those 30"
2560×1600 home IMAX theaters ☺.

--Joel

* Re: [9fans] Anyone to try to convert Acme to full UI (w/graphics)
@ 2006-10-25 16:54           ` Russ Cox
                               ` (2 more replies)
From: Russ Cox @ 2006-10-25 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> With the number of open panes acme encourages, I find it painful on a
> 800×600 monitor, cramped at 1024×768, and just barely comfortable at
> 1600×1200.  When I win the lotto I'll buy me one of those 30"
> 2560×1600 home IMAX theaters ☺.

I often run on 1024x768 with a smaller font
and it's entirely workable (lucidasans/euro.8.font
and lucm/unicode.9.font).  I have run with even
smaller fonts in the past (lucidasans/unicode.7.font)
but I decided I liked the bolder two-pixel-width fonts
enough to give up some text visibility.

The best setup I've seen so far is to have acme
on a 1600x1200 or bigger screen by itself and
then have a second screen for all your other windows.
But my dual-1600x1200-LCD laptop hasn't arrived yet.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Anyone to try to convert Acme to full UI (w/graphics)
@ 2006-10-25 17:21             ` Russ Cox
                                 ` (2 more replies)
From: Russ Cox @ 2006-10-25 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

While we're talking about pushing editors into
new contexts...

http://swtch.com/jsamterm/  (Firefox only, sorry)

If someone were feeling very macho I bet it would
be possible to make all of samterm run in JavaScript
and communicate using the usual sam protocol
tunnelled through HTTP to a regular sam back end.

Would give a whole new meaning to sam -r.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Anyone to try to convert Acme to full UI (w/graphics)
@ 2006-10-25 17:27               ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-10-25 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Witness the power of the Dark Side.

@ 2006-10-25 17:42               ` Tad Hunt
From: Tad Hunt @ 2006-10-25 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Dude,

you have way too much time on your hands

:-)

-Tad

P.S.  Can I chime in with the first bug report?  If I drag a selection
past the last character on a line, the last character doesn't get
selected (yes, you would think I have way too much time on my hands too,
wouldn't you!).

@ 2006-10-25 17:55               ` rog
From: rog @ 2006-10-25 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> If someone were feeling very macho ...

... and it probably wouldn't be larger than the kind
of stuff that many people are using for AJAX these days.

i'd quite like to see a 9p/styx client in javascript.
assuming one can do that kind of two way stateful communication,
you could presumably do a little cpu client too (exporting /dev/cons
only, and maybe access to some local browser state.)
cryptographic libraries in javascript, anyone?
of course, it would be totally disgusting, but might be quite useful.

on the subject of samterm and acme, it'd be really nice to
have an equivalent of samterm for acme (mouse interaction
can be really sluggish when using drawterm or equivalent).
lots of work though.

i seem to remember rob mentioning a year or so back that he was working on
something similar (maybe a new editor) and that there were
three, maybe four, primitives in the protocol. a challenge i never
did solve... it'd be nice to know what they were, and whether
it might ever come to anything.

* Re: [9fans] Anyone to try to convert Acme to full UI (w/graphics)
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-10-25 18:04 ` Sascha Retzki
From: Sascha Retzki @ 2006-10-25 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I always wanted to do that, because I like the tagline-concept. I think it would be interesting if the tag would accept \n, spawn a newline, get a scroll-bar, and accept maximal three lines, but maybe that's just me.

My idea was to make something along the lines of 'win', like 'guiwin'. It would be in normal textmode till somebody opens /dev/draw, then switch to 'graphical mode', in which it just relays the picture to its own (acmes) /dev/draw - I have no idea how much things I must rewrite in acme for that, tho :-)

It sounds simple, tho - its just acme needs a few calls so that the application it runs can tell acme it is 'graphical', and arrange some things so that it can read a picture and display it. Acme tells the window its that x this pixels huge, and there we go.

* Re: [9fans] Anyone to try to convert Acme to full UI (w/graphics)
@ 2006-10-25 18:07                 ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2006-10-25 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> you have way too much time on your hands

javascript should be declared an attractive nuisance

* Re: [9fans] Anyone to try to convert Acme to full UI (w/graphics)
@ 2006-10-25 18:12   ` Sascha Retzki
From: Sascha Retzki @ 2006-10-25 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> My idea was to make something along the lines of 'win', like 'guiwin'.

On a similar note, is there any reason why raw console mode is not supported by win?

* Re: [9fans] Anyone to try to convert Acme to full UI (w/graphics)
@ 2006-10-25 18:17                 ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2006-10-25 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> cryptographic libraries in javascript, anyone?

there are several. here's one.  i had reason to look into it recently.

http://www.fourmilab.ch/javascrypt/javascrypt.html

* Re: [9fans] Anyone to try to convert Acme to full UI (w/graphics)
@ 2006-10-25 18:18   ` Paul Lalonde
From: Paul Lalonde @ 2006-10-25 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* Re: [9fans] Anyone to try to convert Acme to full UI (w/graphics)
@ 2006-10-25 18:19                   ` Paul Lalonde
From: Paul Lalonde @ 2006-10-25 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* Re: [9fans] Anyone to try to convert Acme to full UI (w/graphics)
@ 2006-10-25 18:23     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-10-25 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

that's p9p only.

- erik

@ 2006-10-25 18:24                     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-10-25 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

first you need a js virtual machine.

- erik

@ 2006-10-25 18:25     ` Sascha Retzki
From: Sascha Retzki @ 2006-10-25 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

* Re: [9fans] Anyone to try to convert Acme to full UI (w/graphics)
@ 2006-10-25 20:15       ` Paul Lalonde
From: Paul Lalonde @ 2006-10-25 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* Re: [9fans] Anyone to try to convert Acme to full UI (w/graphics)
@ 2006-10-25 20:16       ` Paul Lalonde
From: Paul Lalonde @ 2006-10-25 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* Re: [9fans] Anyone to try to convert Acme to full UI (w/graphics)
@ 2006-10-25 20:38         ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-10-25 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

portable or not it's in the p9p version it is not in the plan9 version.

- erik

@ 2006-10-25 20:57           ` Tim Wiess
From: Tim Wiess @ 2006-10-25 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> portable or not it's in the p9p version it is not in the plan9 version.

    i don't think portability was the issue.  there are a couple bugs
    in the implementation and last time i talked about it with Russ,
    he wanted to wait until those were resolved before merging the
    changes in P9.

* Re: [9fans] Anyone to try to convert Acme to full UI (w/graphics)
@ 2006-10-25 21:14             ` Paul Lalonde
From: Paul Lalonde @ 2006-10-25 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* Re: Re: [9fans] Anyone to try to convert Acme to full UI (w/graphics)
@ 2006-10-26 18:13             ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2006-10-26 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> The best setup I've seen so far is to have acme
> on a 1600x1200 or bigger screen by itself and
> then have a second screen for all your other windows.
> But my dual-1600x1200-LCD laptop hasn't arrived yet.

I make a rectangular window with winwatch, and start rio sessions,
named appropriately for different tasks and namespaces.  Then by
clicking on winwatch I have virtual desktops of a sort and only
sacrifice a bit of real estate for winwatch.

It's all started by scripts that run from my lib/profile too, so I
don't have to do any manual work beyond logging in.

Dealing with different screen resolutions kind of sucks though, it
could be that it's my rc scripting and understanding of the rio
control namespace isn't very good yet.

@ 2006-10-26 18:22               ` Sascha Retzki
From: Sascha Retzki @ 2006-10-26 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Dealing with different screen resolutions kind of sucks though, it
> could be that it's my rc scripting and understanding of the rio
> control namespace isn't very good yet.

Did you consider stealing some bits from glenda/-magic? There is some screenresolution-magic in lib/profile (and possible other places which I don't recall) to handle different screen resolution

* Re: [9fans] Anyone to try to convert Acme to full UI (w/graphics)
@ 2006-10-26 18:24               ` Ronald G Minnich
From: Ronald G Minnich @ 2006-10-26 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

so can you just post your neat setup?

thanks

ron

* Re: Re: Re: [9fans] Anyone to try to convert Acme to full UI (w/graphics)
@ 2006-10-26 18:30                 ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2006-10-26 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 10/26/06, Sascha Retzki <sretzki@gmx.de> wrote:

> > Dealing with different screen resolutions kind of sucks though, it
> > could be that it's my rc scripting and understanding of the rio
> > control namespace isn't very good yet.
> >

> Did you consider stealing some bits from glenda/-magic? There is some screenresolution-magic in lib/profile (and possible other places which I don't recall) to handle different screen resolution

Good idea... I'll take a look.

* Re: Re: [9fans] Anyone to try to convert Acme to full UI (w/graphics)
@ 2006-10-26 18:35                 ` rog
From: rog @ 2006-10-26 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Dealing with different screen resolutions kind of sucks though, it
> could be that it's my rc scripting and understanding of the rio
> control namespace isn't very good yet.

possibly the first program i wrote when i first started using
plan 9 was to deal with this issue. i've attached it - it's tiny.
all it does is convert proportional coordinates [0..1] to screen
coords [0..max].

for instance,
	winpos 0.6 0.0 0.4 100p
gives a 100 pixel high rectangle that covers the right
40% of the screen.

i use it like this:

	window -r `{winpos 0 0.05 1 1} acme -l acme.dump

perhaps this might help?

#include <u.h>
#include <libc.h>

int makecoord(char*, int, int);
int getscreensize(int*, int*, int*, int*);

void
main(int argc, char **argv)
{
	int scrminx, scrminy, scrmaxx, scrmaxy;
	int minx, miny, sizex, sizey, maxx, maxy;
	/* usage: winpos xorg yorg xsize ysize */
	if (argc != 5) {
		fprint(2, "usage: winpos xorg yorg xsize ysize\n");
		exits("usage");
	}
	if (getscreensize(&scrminx, &scrminy, &scrmaxx, &scrmaxy) == -1) {
		fprint(2, "winpos: couldn't get screen size: %r\n");
		exits("no screen");
	}
	minx = makecoord(argv[1], scrminx, scrmaxx);
	miny = makecoord(argv[2], scrminy, scrmaxy);
	sizex = makecoord(argv[3], scrminx, scrmaxx);
	sizey = makecoord(argv[4], scrminy, scrmaxy);
	if (sizex > (scrmaxx - scrminx))
		sizex = scrmaxx - scrminx;
	if (sizey > (scrmaxy - scrminy))
		sizey = scrmaxy - scrminy;
	if (minx + sizex > scrmaxx)
		minx = scrmaxx - sizex;
	if (miny + sizey > scrmaxy)
		miny = scrmaxy - sizey;
	maxx = minx + sizex;
	maxy = miny + sizey;
	print("%d %d %d %d\n", minx, miny, maxx, maxy);
	exits(0);
}

int
makecoord(char *spec, int min, int max)
{
	if (spec[0] == 0)
		return 0;
	if (spec[strlen(spec) - 1] == 'p')
		return atoi(spec);
	return atof(spec) * (max - min) + min;
}

int
getscreensize(int *minx, int *miny, int *maxx, int *maxy)
{
	char buf[12*12+1];
	int fd;

	buf[sizeof(buf) - 1] = 0;
	fd = open("#i/draw/new", OREAD);
	if(fd < 0)
		return -1;
	if(read(fd, buf, sizeof buf - 1) != sizeof buf - 1){
		close(fd);
		return -1;
	}
	close(fd);
	*minx = atoi(buf+4*12);
	*miny = atoi(buf+5*12);
	*maxx = atoi(buf+6*12);
	*maxy = atoi(buf+7*12);
	return 0;
}

* Re: Re: [9fans] Anyone to try to convert Acme to full UI (w/graphics)
@ 2006-10-26 21:39                 ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2006-10-26 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I guess you're referring to me.  I'll post it in a minute when I clean
it up a bit ;-).  It's one of those I stopped after lots of trial and
error things...

Dave

On 10/26/06, Ronald G Minnich <rminnich@lanl.gov> wrote:
> so can you just post your neat setup?
>
> thanks
>
> ron

* RE: [9fans] Anyone to try to convert Acme to full UI (w/graphics)
@ 2006-10-27  7:00             ` cej
                                 ` (3 more replies)
From: cej @ 2006-10-27  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> But my dual-1600x1200-LCD laptop hasn't arrived yet.

do you mean 1600*1200 built-in LCD, or just support of external monitor of that resolution, like T23 does?? In case you know about 1600 or better internal LCD laptop, i would be pleased to know about the model, thanks,

++pac.

* Re: [9fans] Anyone to try to convert Acme to full UI (w/graphics)
@ 2006-10-27  8:37               ` Bruce Ellis
                                 ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2006-10-27  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

i have a year and a half old dell insprion 6000 which fits the bill.

the 6500 is better.  but you buy when you buy.

brucee

@ 2006-10-27 11:24               ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-10-27 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

stinkpads like the a31p (avaliable cheep on ebay) had a 1600x1200 screen.

- erik

@ 2006-10-27 14:04               ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2006-10-27 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> > But my dual-1600x1200-LCD laptop hasn't arrived yet.
>
> do you mean 1600*1200 built-in LCD

The newest Thinkpad T series high-end models
have 1600x1200 LCDs.  They're marginally larger
than the T23 was, but not significantly, and not nearly
so big as the A series.

But I said dual-1600x1200 LCD laptop,
meaning *two* built-in 1600x1200 LCDs.

Russ

@ 2006-10-28 19:27               ` Paweł Lasek
From: Paweł Lasek @ 2006-10-28 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 10/27/06, cej@gli.cas.cz <cej@gli.cas.cz> wrote:

> > But my dual-1600x1200-LCD laptop hasn't arrived yet.
>
> do you mean 1600*1200 built-in LCD, or just support of external monitor of that resolution, like T23 does?? In case you know about 1600 or better internal LCD laptop, i would be pleased to know about the model, thanks,

Eurocom (http://www.eurocom.com) Mobile Workstation line has 17.1"
1920x1200 widescreen model, the rest has 1680x1050 widescreen. I don't
know how they will work with Plan9 - I could buy a *new* car (and
pretty good one...) for a price of fully equipped Eurocom mobile
workstation ..... (However, I'd choose that D900K F-Bomb over Macbook
Pro 17" any time.... - their price is nearly identical in my case...)

--
Paul Lasek

* RE: [9fans] Anyone to try to convert Acme to full UI (w/graphics)
@ 2006-10-30  6:23           ` cej
From: cej @ 2006-10-30  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Seems you want to add graphics to sam, not acme.

>  --Joel

Unfortunately, I still don't see a reason why sam and acme couldn't be merged and be turned to a universal UI (with editing capabilities).
But, it is just my ignorance. Perhaps, someone could explain, please?

@ 2006-10-30  6:33             ` Paul Lalonde
From: Paul Lalonde @ 2006-10-30  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* Re: [9fans] Anyone to try to convert Acme to full UI (w/graphics)
@ 2006-10-30 12:56               ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-10-30 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

there's either a define or a global in the p9p samterm that allows one to use acme
chording.  i believe it's called CHORDING but i don't have p9p handy.

- erik

@ 2006-10-30 15:16               ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2006-10-30 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Because some people like the tag/command line per window (acme) and
> others like the single command window (sam)?

You certainly won't see sam and acme merged into a single UI
that satisfies everyone.

> I occasionally use sam as a stream editor, but I couldn't imagine
> doing all my work in it.  The cut and paste mechanic feels so awkward
> compared to acme's.

It's just different.  I started out using sam and only switched to acme
to get button 3 while editing HTML, or for editing very large files,
and then I got hooked.  Even so, these days I do probably 50% acme on
local files, 50% sam -r on faraway files, and I don't notice the cut and
paste issue in sam.  (It probably helps that I type ESC to cut, so my
middle button menu is usually on paste already.)

I have toyed with the idea of building up some sam protocol tools,
including a multiplexor and a version of acme that uses a remote
sam as a back end.

> Say...Does anyone know of a patch for OS X that
> makes chording work?  Then I could bind to copy and paste properly.

See #define chording in
http://swtch.com/usr/local/plan9/src/cmd/samterm/main.c

Some people have seen it cause deadlocks.  Others apparently
use it all the time without problem.  I can't understand how it
could cause a deadlock if the non-chording code is correct,
but maybe the non-chording code avoids whatever race is
going on because there are fewer clicks flying around.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Anyone to try to convert Acme to full UI (w/graphics)
@ 2006-10-30 15:25                 ` Gabriel Diaz
From: Gabriel Diaz @ 2006-10-30 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello

 > I have toyed with the idea of building up some sam protocol tools,
> including a multiplexor and a version of acme that uses a remote
> sam as a back end.

I will love this one, if that's a motivation to do it :-)

gabi

* Re: [9fans] Anyone to try to convert Acme to full UI (w/graphics)
@ 2006-10-30 15:30                 ` Paul Lalonde
From: Paul Lalonde @ 2006-10-30 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* Re: [9fans] Anyone to try to convert Acme to full UI (w/graphics)
@ 2006-10-30 16:17             ` Ronald G Minnich
From: Ronald G Minnich @ 2006-10-30 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

cej@gli.cas.cz wrote:

> Unfortunately, I still don't see a reason why sam and acme couldn't be merged and be turned to a universal UI (with editing capabilities).
> But, it is just my ignorance. Perhaps, someone could explain, please?

well, rather than they explain why you can't do it, why don't you just
go ahead and do it and show it to us?

thanks

ron

* Re: Re: [9fans] Anyone to try to convert Acme to full UI (w/graphics)
@ 2006-10-30 19:05                   ` Joel Salomon
From: Joel Salomon @ 2006-10-30 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 10/26/06, rog@vitanuova.com <rog@vitanuova.com> wrote:
> int
> getscreensize(int *minx, int *miny, int *maxx, int *maxy)
> {
>         char buf[12*12+1];
>         int fd;
>
>         buf[sizeof(buf) - 1] = 0;
>         fd = open("#i/draw/new", OREAD);
>         if(fd < 0)
>                 return -1;
>         if(read(fd, buf, sizeof buf - 1) != sizeof buf - 1){
>                 close(fd);
>                 return -1;
>         }
>         close(fd);
>         *minx = atoi(buf+4*12);
>         *miny = atoi(buf+5*12);
>         *maxx = atoi(buf+6*12);
>         *maxy = atoi(buf+7*12);
>         return 0;
> }

How would I get rio's size rather than the screen size, for example
for use in a rio subwindow?

--Joel

* Re: Re: [9fans] Anyone to try to convert Acme to full UI (w/graphics)
@ 2006-10-30 19:34                     ` Paul Hebble
From: Paul Hebble @ 2006-10-30 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 02:05:02PM -0500, Joel Salomon wrote:
> How would I get rio's size rather than the screen size, for example
> for use in a rio subwindow?

Check the first 48 bytes of /dev/window and /dev/screen.

--
	Paul

* RE: [9fans] Anyone to try to convert Acme to full UI (w/graphics)
@ 2006-10-31  5:33               ` cej
From: cej @ 2006-10-31  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> Unfortunately, I still don't see a reason why sam and acme couldn't be merged and be turned to a universal UI (with editing capabilities).
>> But, it is just my ignorance. Perhaps, someone could explain, please?

>well, rather than they explain why you can't do it, why don't you just
>go ahead and do it and show it to us?

it's *far* beyond my capabilities :-(((

@ 2006-10-31 18:33                 ` Ronald G Minnich
From: Ronald G Minnich @ 2006-10-31 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

cej@gli.cas.cz wrote:

>>> Unfortunately, I still don't see a reason why sam and acme couldn't be merged and be turned to a universal UI (with editing capabilities).
>>> But, it is just my ignorance. Perhaps, someone could explain, please?
>
>> well, rather than they explain why you can't do it, why don't you just
>> go ahead and do it and show it to us?
>
> it's *far* beyond my capabilities :-(((

well, maybe you are selling yourself short.

Or, maybe it is not a sensible thing to do.

I wouldn't just say you can't do it.

ron

* RE: [9fans] Anyone to try to convert Acme to full UI (w/graphics)
@ 2006-11-01  6:21                   ` cej
From: cej @ 2006-11-01  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>> well, rather than they explain why you can't do it, why don't you just
>>> go ahead and do it and show it to us?
>>
>> it's *far* beyond my capabilities :-(((

>well, maybe you are selling yourself short.
>Or, maybe it is not a sensible thing to do.

Maybe. I'm not a UI designer. Even not a programmer. I might be a visioneer, or a fool. I'll first try to present my ideas, to know whether  they're not completely wrong. I'll send a link when the document is ready. Thanks for the attention you all gave me.

>I wouldn't just say you can't do it.
Thanks for a compliment ;-]
++pac.