* Re: [9fans] spaces in filenames
@ 2002-06-01  5:02 Geoff Collyer
From: Geoff Collyer @ 2002-06-01  5:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Okay, you're a communist.  ☺

On Unix, part of the problem is scripts that use $* when they should
use "$@", but the need to quote file names containing spaces
interactively is an on-going nuisance.

If you're going to allow spaces, then why not allow tabs?  They have
traditionally been considered equivalent whitespace, with a few
exceptions (e.g., make, tbl).  I don't see a compelling reason to
allow spaces but not tabs.  And if you allow spaces and tabs, why not
newline, it's whitespace too.  And as long as we're allowing any old
character in file names, why not allow slashes in file name
components?  Sure, we'll have to introduce some ugly hack like having
the kernel understand /this\/is\/all\/one\/component, but by now we're
not afraid of a little quoting, right?  And why discriminate against
NUL?  Shouldn't one be able to have a file name like 'This is a
history of the \0, \\ and \/ characters in computing, © 2002 <a
href="http:\/\/pedant.com\/peter.jpg">Peter Pedant<\/a>', where \0
represents a NUL byte?

We could also adopt another Mac OS tradition, case-insensitive file
names.  Pretty soon our file names will be as ungodly a stew as
anything ever parsed by MVS or VMS.

* Re: [9fans] spaces in filenames
@ 2002-06-01 13:41 ` Michael Baldwin
From: Michael Baldwin @ 2002-06-01 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> On Unix, part of the problem is scripts that use $* when they should
> use "$@"

yeah, so fix them, if it's so easy.  are there lots of these around?  i
haven't noticed.

> but the need to quote file names containing spaces interactively is an
> on-going nuisance.

i guess if you think 'quoting' is a nuisance.  yes, you have to quote
spaces in shell args.  i also have to quote '=' in rc args, and i have
to quote ( ) { } * ? and a bunch of other characters.  so what?

> If you're going to allow spaces, then why not allow tabs? ... why not
> newline ... why discriminate against NUL ...

because filenames are supposed to be printable "labels" for things.
tabs are control characters to adjust the "carriage", like CR and NL
are.  NUL is a control character.  space is just a space, and is thought
of as printable.  putting spaces in labels is not a radical idea.  ever
label a paper folder "Mom's recipes"?  i don't feel obligated to put an
underscore in there instead.  and let me tell you, her stuffed peppers
are to die for.

and i've already said it is very useful to have characters that are
guaranteed to be useful as separators.  slashes are used for pathname
element separation, and for the same reason, it seems a good idea to
have a character that always works as an element separator.

so stop confusing the issue.  i'm talking about space.  JUST SPACE.  not
tab, newline, nul, or slash.  i have ALREADY given my reasons for not
allowing those (they are non-printable, and it is good to have reliable
separators).  this is about SPACE ONLY.  the only reason you've given to
hate spaces is shell sloppiness.  we even have the nice new quoted
string functions if you want to use them.

> We could also adopt another Mac OS tradition, case-insensitive file
> names.

this is more questionable.  but in the case of inferno, which has to
live on top of these other systems (windoze does this too), one cannot
simply ignore it.  "mv A a" on inferno used to delete your poor file "A"
instead of move it.  oops.  and i notice that the shell(s) in mac os x
are case-sensitive when using glob matching.

> Pretty soon our file names will be as ungodly a stew as anything ever
> parsed by MVS or VMS.

oh please.  allowing the use of space somehow makes filenames a stew?
give me a break.

* Re: [9fans] spaces in filenames
@ 2011-04-28  9:58           ` Peter A. Cejchan
From: Peter A. Cejchan @ 2011-04-28  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

spaces in filenames.. does not it break the rules?? Who actually needs
them??

++pac

* Re: [9fans] spaces in filenames
@ 2011-04-27 13:21         ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2011-04-27 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: digbyt, 9fans

> I can remember amusing myself once as an undergraduate, deleting and
> creating files till I got the right inode numbers to allow a judicious
> choice of binary file names to result in a directory that was a
> valid executable a.out image.

Wonderful!

This made me laugh loud enough to make everyone in the office turn round.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] spaces in filenames
@ 2011-04-27 13:16         ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2011-04-27 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: digbyt, 9fans

On Wed Apr 27 09:12:15 EDT 2011, digbyt@acm.org wrote:
> I was always happy with the traditional Unix approach - Kernel allows
> anything unless there is a good reason not to (ie no NULL or '/').
> Anything else is an application problem that usually required
> some ingenuity if you really wanted to break convention.

port/chan.c:/^char isfrog

- erik

* Re: [9fans] spaces in filenames
@ 2011-04-27 13:10       ` Digby Tarvin
From: Digby Tarvin @ 2011-04-27 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I was always happy with the traditional Unix approach - Kernel allows
anything unless there is a good reason not to (ie no NULL or '/').
Anything else is an application problem that usually required
some ingenuity if you really wanted to break convention.

But then, I have never been a big fan of spaces in filenames so
varying levels of support in userland was not a big concern.

I can remember amusing myself once as an undergraduate, deleting and
creating files till I got the right inode numbers to allow a judicious
choice of binary file names to result in a directory that was a
valid executable a.out image.

DigbyT
http://www.digbyt.com

* Re: [9fans] spaces in filenames
@ 2011-04-27  2:39     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2011-04-27  2:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue Apr 26 22:34:26 EDT 2011, smiley@zenzebra.mv.com wrote:
> erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> writes:
>
> > the sources version of fossil does allow spaces in filenames.
>
> I'm hypothesizing that my version of fossil isn't allowing spaces in
> file names because the version compiled into the '#//boot/boot/fossil'
> in the 9atom 9pcf kernel from the 9atom .iso doesn't allow spaces.
> Would that hypothesis be correct?  (Which would bring me to my next
> question: how to recompile the 9atom kernel, with _tracein and _traceout
> undefined in the final link and all, but that's a topic for a different
> thread.)

i hope to clean all this junk up in my infinite spare time.  sorry.

rebuild libc after adding this, or remove the flags section from your
/sys/src/9/pc/9pcf*.

; cat /sys/src/libc//386/trace.s
TEXT _tracein(SB), 1, $0
	CMPL	traceactive(SB), $0
	JEQ	inotready
	MOVL	16(SP),AX
	PUSHL	AX
	MOVL	16(SP),AX
	PUSHL	AX
	MOVL	16(SP),AX
	PUSHL	AX
	MOVL	16(SP),AX
	PUSHL	AX
	MOVL	16(SP),AX
	PUSHL	AX
	CALL	tracein(SB)
	POPL	AX
	POPL	AX
	POPL	AX
	POPL	AX
	POPL	AX
inotready:
	RET

TEXT _traceout(SB), 1, $0
	CMPL	traceactive(SB), $0
	JEQ	notready
	PUSHL	AX
	MOVL	4(SP),AX
	PUSHL	AX
	CALL	traceout(SB)
	POPL	AX
	POPL	AX
notready:
	RET

- erik

* Re: [9fans] spaces in filenames
@ 2011-04-27  2:30   ` smiley
From: smiley @ 2011-04-27  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> writes:

> the sources version of fossil does allow spaces in filenames.

I'm hypothesizing that my version of fossil isn't allowing spaces in
file names because the version compiled into the '#//boot/boot/fossil'
in the 9atom 9pcf kernel from the 9atom .iso doesn't allow spaces.
Would that hypothesis be correct?  (Which would bring me to my next
question: how to recompile the 9atom kernel, with _tracein and _traceout
undefined in the final link and all, but that's a topic for a different
thread.)

> i have never run into this.  my preferred solution would be to fix
> the contrib packages, but that's not my call.

:( It's not mine, either.

> http://9fans.net/archive

Yes, I found that.  However, if there's an API for downloading them,
it's not obvious.  Short of spidering 9fans.net, is there a place to get
them?

|E-Mail: smiley@zenzebra.mv.com             PGP key ID: BC549F8B|
|Fingerprint: 9329 DB4A 30F5 6EDA D2BA  3489 DAB7 555A BC54 9F8B|

* Re: [9fans] spaces in filenames
@ 2011-04-26 19:35       ` Paul Lalonde
From: Paul Lalonde @ 2011-04-26 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I mostly run acme from inferno (acme-SAC), and live with trfs to take care
of my windows and mac paths.  My linux paths are much better behaved, and so
I run from p9p there.

Paul

--
I'm migrating my email.  plalonde@telus.net will soon be disconnected.
 Please use paul.a.lalonde@gmail.com from now on.

* Re: [9fans] spaces in filenames
@ 2011-04-26 19:31     ` Rob Pike
From: Rob Pike @ 2011-04-26 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2011-04-26 18:52   ` dexen deVries
From: dexen deVries @ 2011-04-26 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tuesday 26 of April 2011 20:42:49 Rob Pike wrote:
> Sometime around, maybe, 2000, I flipped the bit in the frogs table so
> spaces were legal in file names, for two reasons: we were seeing
> spaces in file names from remote systems and seemed simpler to accept
> them than to remap them, and I wanted to know how it would affect
> things.
>
> Not all software has caught up, I suspect.  It's only been a decade.

on the topic, is acme still your favorite editor, Rob?
asking, cause it is mine, and about the only thing i miss in it is sensible
support for whitespace in pathnames. i'm using the p9p version, btw.

--
dexen deVries

``One can't proceed from the informal to the formal by formal means.''

* Re: [9fans] spaces in filenames
@ 2011-04-26 18:44   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2011-04-26 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Not all software has caught up, I suspect.  It's only been a decade.

my software hasn't.  i'm just a philistine.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] spaces in filenames
@ 2011-04-26 18:43 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2011-04-26 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>  From time to time, the issue of having spaces in file names seems to
> come up on this list, mostly in the context of discussions on find,
> du, Acme, and trfs(4).  All the discussions I've found suggest that
> file names with whitespace in them are *legal* on fossil.  I'm running
> a 9atom 9pcf kernel copied verbatim from the 9atom .iso, on an
> otherwise stock Plan 9 4e fossil+venti install.  However, I can't seem
> to create files with with spaces in their names.  The resulting error
> string reports invalid characters in the file name.  Why doesn't this
> work?  Has the ability to have spaces in file names been removed from
> fossil?  If so, then how is it possible that there are files such as
> '/n/sources/contrib/steve/file with spaces' hanging around?

this is all my fault.

ken fs doesn't allow spaces in file names, and neither does kfs.
since many scripts tend to do the wrong thing with such file names,
i thought it would be a lot easier to just disallow them, and deal
with any problems that come up at file creation time, instead of
when you're running a script that's mysteriously failing.

the sources version of fossil does allow spaces in filenames.

> While I'm perfectly happy using underscores in lieu of spaces in *my*
> file names, there are a number of APE packages (i.e., fgb/lcms)
> containing files with spaces in their names.  Since those are the
> names used in replica(1), I'm unable to contrib/install(1) any of
> these packages.  Are there any known fixes or workarounds for this
> problem?  (I doubt trfs(4) would help, because the ape would still be
> naming the file with spaces, unless specifically modified to match the
> trfs(4) translation.)

i have never run into this.  my preferred solution would be to fix
the contrib packages, but that's not my call.

sorry for the inconvienece.

http://9fans.net/archive

> Also, quanstro, would you whitelist me?  I can't seem to get mail to
> you off-list.  Thanks!

done.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] spaces in filenames
@ 2011-04-26 18:42 ` Rob Pike
From: Rob Pike @ 2011-04-26 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Sometime around, maybe, 2000, I flipped the bit in the frogs table so
spaces were legal in file names, for two reasons: we were seeing
spaces in file names from remote systems and seemed simpler to accept
them than to remap them, and I wanted to know how it would affect
things.

Not all software has caught up, I suspect.  It's only been a decade.

-rob

* [9fans] spaces in filenames
@ 2011-04-26 18:08 smiley
From: smiley @ 2011-04-26 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

>From time to time, the issue of having spaces in file names seems to
come up on this list, mostly in the context of discussions on find, du,
Acme, and trfs(4).  All the discussions I've found suggest that file
names with whitespace in them are *legal* on fossil.  I'm running a
9atom 9pcf kernel copied verbatim from the 9atom .iso, on an otherwise
stock Plan 9 4e fossil+venti install.  However, I can't seem to create
files with with spaces in their names.  The resulting error string
reports invalid characters in the file name.  Why doesn't this work?
Has the ability to have spaces in file names been removed from fossil?
If so, then how is it possible that there are files such as
'/n/sources/contrib/steve/file with spaces' hanging around?

While I'm perfectly happy using underscores in lieu of spaces in *my*
file names, there are a number of APE packages (i.e., fgb/lcms)
containing files with spaces in their names.  Since those are the names
used in replica(1), I'm unable to contrib/install(1) any of these
packages.  Are there any known fixes or workarounds for this problem?
(I doubt trfs(4) would help, because the ape would still be naming the
file with spaces, unless specifically modified to match the trfs(4)
translation.)

What's the theory behind excluding whitespace from filenames?  Was it
causing too much discussion on the list?  ;) Since Plan 9 was a total
re-think of Unix, I have to wonder why this problem wasn't fixed.  If
Plan 9 used 0x00 (NUL) as the record separator (instead of newline),
many of these types of problems could be averted.  Why don't we?

@ 2002-06-03 12:42 presotto
From: presotto @ 2002-06-03 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

YOu can't read and write from user level a file descriptor that has
already been mounted.  Otherwise, you could side step authentication
to file servers.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2809 bytes --]

From: Axel Belinfante <Axel.Belinfante@cs.utwente.nl>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] spaces in filenames
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2002 12:06:35 +0200

> > I can bypass the kernel easily enough:
>
> man 9pcon

cpu% aux/9pcon /srv/dns
read9pmsg from server: inappropriate use of fd
cpu%

What does that error message mean?
Did I invoke 9pcon in the wrong way?

Axel.

* Re: [9fans] spaces in filenames
@ 2002-06-03 10:06 ` Axel Belinfante
From: Axel Belinfante @ 2002-06-03 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-06-01 22:25 ` William Josephson
From: William Josephson @ 2002-06-01 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sat, Jun 01, 2002 at 06:17:09PM -0400, Russ Cox wrote:
> > I can bypass the kernel easily enough:
>
> man 9pcon

I'm aware of it, but last I checked it didn't
compile on FreeBSD :-p

* Re: [9fans] spaces in filenames
@ 2002-06-01 22:17 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-06-01 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-06-01 22:16 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-06-01 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Sorry, I should have said: this was on a 3rd edition kfs.

The bug is still there in the 4e kfs binary I am running.
I am just very confused as to why.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] spaces in filenames
@ 2002-06-01 16:54 ` Digby Tarvin
From: Digby Tarvin @ 2002-06-01 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I always rather liked the old Unix approach of the Kernel allowing
anything for which there was no compelling technical reason to forbid.

For file names, that used to be (in the old Bell Labs days) any sequence
of up to 14 bytes, excluding '/' and the NULL used as terminator (both in
the directory entry and the strings passed in system calls).
The subsequent relaxation of the length restriction was certainly a good
thing, but  otherwise I was quite happy with the status quo.

As to to desirability of actually using file names with non-printable
characters - that is certainly questionable. I would prefer
to have a conservative file nameing scheme used in the 'standard'
distribution, refraining from unnecessary use of unprintable
ascii in file names. But I would no more have the operating system enforce
it than I would have the system dictate what bytes appear in a text file.

Most objections to flexible file nameing seem to be the result of syntactic
limitations of the shell which make it difficult to remove or rename
strangely named files when created accidentaly. It was never difficult to
to get rid of them by writing a one line C program.
As I recall, Unix 6th edition came with a 'dsw' (Delete from SWitches) command
to help remove files with funny names. Perhaps something similar is needed.

I do recall once amusing myself as a student arranging to be allocated
inode '0407' for a directory so that with appropriate choice of file
name I could create a directory which would also be an executable
program.

The most compelling reason I can think of for disliking artificial
restrictions on file names (and also case insensitive file names) is
that it is so inconvenient when importing file systems from, or
sharing filesystems with, less restrictive operating systems.

Admittedly you are stuck either way with differences in file name
case sensitivity, but I would rather have the problem of not finding
a file because of a case mis-match than over-writing a file due to
case insensitivity. Although I could probably come up with a scheme
whereby files were stored in a case insensitive way, but directories
could be searched with a 'case insensitive' option which would return
the first match - as a form of wildcarding. It would then be an
application issue weather you were protected from accidentally creating
multiple files differing only in case.

If your file system was case insensitive, a workaround to simulate
case sensitivity would be much more difficult.

One final comment - on the OS-9 operating system (not to be confused
with with MAC OS-9, which it predates by about 20 years...) there is
quite a convenient facility which allows file nameing restrictions to
be varied dynamically. The default disallows, for instance, spaces in
file names. But as a super user, if I want to unpack a tar file which
contains such names, I can temporarily redefine the file name validation
parameters, unpack the archive, and then revert to normal conventions.
This gives the flexibility without the danger of accidental creation
of funny files. Perhaps if this facility were available on a per user
basis, then those that know what they are doing could relax restrictions
when there was a good reason, and others would be protected from mistakes.

Regards,
DigbyT

--
Digby R. S. Tarvin                                              digbyt@acm.org
http://www.cthulhu.dircon.co.uk

* Re: [9fans] spaces in filenames
@ 2002-06-01 14:55 Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2002-06-01 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Anyhow, you didn't misunderstand the syntax.
> That should have worked.  That's how the
> install moves your old file system into /3e.

Sorry, I should have said: this was on a 3rd edition kfs.

-- Richard

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2183 bytes --]

From: "Russ Cox" <rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2002 10:01:43 -0400

> I got myself into trouble recently by misunderstanding the syntax
> of the kfs 'rename' command.  If you do something like
>
>   disk/kfscmd 'rename /tmp/xxx /tmp/yyy'
>
> you end up with a file in /tmp with slashes in its name.  Exercise
> for the reader: how do you get rid of it?

That's one of the first Plan 9 mistakes I ever made.
I killed off the partition and started afresh.  (Not the right answer.)

Anyhow, you didn't misunderstand the syntax.
That should have worked.  That's how the
install moves your old file system into /3e.
The case where src and dst are in same
directory must use the wrong name.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] spaces in filenames
@ 2002-06-01 14:38 ` William Josephson
From: William Josephson @ 2002-06-01 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sat, Jun 01, 2002 at 10:10:18AM -0400, Russ Cox wrote:
> > You should be able to rename it again; maybe you'll need to rename
> > it in to another directory if there is a bug.
>
> BZZT!  How do you rename it?  When you pass
> the path to kfs or the kernel, it will tokenize

Forgot that kfs will parse the path, too.
I can bypass the kernel easily enough: I
wrote a stupid 9p shell after I broke some
names on the fileserver by untarring
something on a 9p2k terminal.  Guess it is
time to do some hacking...

* Re: [9fans] spaces in filenames
@ 2002-06-01 14:16 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-06-01 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Anyhow, you didn't misunderstand the syntax.
> That should have worked.  That's how the
> install moves your old file system into /3e.
> The case where src and dst are in same
> directory must use the wrong name.

I have no idea why this doesn't work.  I'm staring
at the rename code and it really should work.
Unless I misunderstand what nextelem does.

You'll note that

	disk/kfscmd 'rename /tmp/yyy a/b/c/d'

correctly diagnoses the fact that there are slashes
in the new name.  Destinations beginning with /
are supposed to do what you expect.

I'm leaving for a trip soon, but will be online
with reasonable frequency.  If someone else
wants to add the appropriate print, figure out
what's wrong, and send me a fix, I'd be happy to
put it in.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] spaces in filenames
@ 2002-06-01 14:15 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-06-01 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> hmm ... disk/kfscmd 'rename /tmp/\/tmp\/yyy yyy'?

you expect far too much from kfs.

* Re: [9fans] spaces in filenames
@ 2002-06-01 14:10 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-06-01 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> You should be able to rename it again; maybe you'll need to rename
> it in to another directory if there is a bug.

BZZT!  How do you rename it?  When you pass
the path to kfs or the kernel, it will tokenize
it into

	'tmp' 'xxx' 'tmp' 'yyy'

instead of

	'tmp' 'xxx' '/tmp/yyy'

as is necessary.

* Re: [9fans] spaces in filenames
@ 2002-06-01 14:05 ` William Josephson
From: William Josephson @ 2002-06-01 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-06-01 14:01 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-06-01 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-06-01 13:55 Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2002-06-01 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-06-01 13:46 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-06-01 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

looks like you pulled in a big one, geoff.
where do you get such great lures?

* Re: [9fans] spaces in filenames
@ 2002-06-01 13:15   ` Sam
From: Sam @ 2002-06-01 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)