* Re: [9fans] How 'bout a 9 USER site?
@ 2010-02-24  9:24 José Brandão
From: José Brandão @ 2010-02-24  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I have come across this tutorial page:

http://www.magma.com.ni/moin/Plan9Tutorial

I think that the owner has been editing this site regularly.

José Brandão

* Re: [9fans] How 'bout a 9 USER site?
@ 2010-02-26 21:06 ` Georg Lehner
From: Georg Lehner @ 2010-02-26 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi!

not regularly, though i have updated some bits recently.

IMHO the Plan9 Wiki should be the place where to contribute.

My tutorial is hosted on my own server, because i came never
around to run Plan9 seriously for everyday use and to ask for an
account there.

Well, i'd miss some MoinMoin functionality too... :)

Regards,

    Jorge-León

@ 2010-02-24 19:59       ` Tim Newsham
From: Tim Newsham @ 2010-02-24 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> To Tim;
> Why do you suppose I use a wysiwyg editor to begin with? I don't know
> squat about writing webpages, also, I don't know how to set up or
> configure a web server. My webspace is thru Yahoo's paid services, and
> I chose them because they give you alot for cheap, and they are a no
> nonsense provider. They don't interfere in anything I choose to do.

*shrug* that makes sense I guess, but...
If you were to use plan9 for this, it would give you an
excuse to learn how to do it in plan9, and along the way
to become more familiar and comfortable with plan9.

Tim Newsham | www.thenewsh.com/~newsham | thenewsh.blogspot.com

* Re: [9fans] How 'bout a 9 USER site?
@ 2010-02-24 16:44         ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2010-02-24 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Sorry, my last post should refer to this:

@ 2010-02-24 16:43         ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2010-02-24 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Isn't storage more or less free these days?
I use plan9 on a hard drive with less bits than my RAM, but of course
I don't run any video streaming services on there.

* Re: [9fans] How 'bout a 9 USER site?
@ 2010-02-24 16:00           ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2010-02-24 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I second this.  I've found those posts to be amazingly good.

@ 2010-02-24 13:23         ` Eric Van Hensbergen
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2010-02-24 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2010-02-24 11:26       ` John Stalker
From: John Stalker @ 2010-02-24 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2010-02-24 10:10     ` Purple_Q
From: Purple_Q @ 2010-02-24 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Very well, i'll drop the idea then. It's just a shame there's no easy
and direct way to find out how to do some of the stuff I mentioned in
the original post.

To Tim;
Why do you suppose I use a wysiwyg editor to begin with? I don't know
squat about writing webpages, also, I don't know how to set up or
configure a web server. My webspace is thru Yahoo's paid services, and
I chose them because they give you alot for cheap, and they are a no
nonsense provider. They don't interfere in anything I choose to do.

On top of that, knowing you have no idea who I am, I come from a
background of a non-IT, non college educated, self (and forum) taught
user. I've Slackware exclusively for just a snootch shy of a decade,
having recently switched to BSD. It is sufficient to say that whilst
i'm not a guru or master of the trade, I am very proficient in
userland things, like installing software, maintaining the system,
building kernels, etc. I have yet to figure out how to do the simple
things I mentioned above (what about accessing usb sticks, installing
3rd party software, etc). I can't find a simple straight "do this to
do this" type of document on many simple user functions. How can
someone who would give Plan9 a chance with an even lesser background
in unix like enviroments like myself figure these things out?

Praise be due to those who are more resourceful or generally smarter
in these matters than I, but being quite comfortable with CLI and not
being able to find a simple and straight way to do desktop/basic users
tasks was the motivation behind this whole idea.

I'm sorry my offer to help seems of no use.
Since it is my webspace, I may just do it anyway, presuming I learn
some of the things I need to. There may be other sites, a wiki, and
etc., but I see zero harm in trying to help others learn this system,
even if it be from my slow journey and blunders along the way.

Trust me, if I could afford the costs i'd have to pay my ISP, had the
hardware, and the knowledge to set up and secure a Plan9 web server,
i'd do it in a heartbeat, but hardware and funding aside, I don't
remotely have the knowledge of either webservers in general, or plan9
specifically.

* Re: [9fans] How 'bout a 9 USER site?
@ 2010-02-24 10:10   ` Purple_Q
From: Purple_Q @ 2010-02-24 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

You just gave me an idea. Perhaps add a php or smf forum to the site?

From: Purple_Q @ 2010-02-24 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I can see the point you're trying to make. There's alot of flexibility
in what can be done with a website though. In short; anything. I think
it leaves for a more enjoyable experience for the user too. An easy
link to remember (whatever the site name will be), space to store
files, screenshots, etc.

And yes, if you read my story, there's no exaggeration. I want to do
this, and have the resources available. I'm not thinking of an
immaculate site that is the "end all" of user experience or learning
Plan9 by no means. Just something simple, easy to navigate, perhaps
even a pleasure to read. Might have to toss up good ol' propaganda
too, because who doesn't love Glenda?

My site has been up for quite a while, and I have no intentions of
taking it down anytime soon as it serves alot of purposes for me, so
if I indeed put up this site, it won't be going anywhere for a long
time, because other than a yearly $10, it won't cost me anything. I'd
just be using a little bit of the unlimited storage capacity. Eh? :)

* Re: [9fans] How 'bout a 9 USER site?
@ 2010-02-24  2:26               ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2010-02-24  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 4:25 PM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net>wrote:

> > > I thought brucee had one?
> >
> > Look in contrib? This sounds familiar.
> >

> /n/other/sources/contrib/rcbilson/s3venti

Ah I hadn't looked there... Thanks!

> - erik

* Re: [9fans] How 'bout a 9 USER site?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-02-24  0:40 ` Federico G. Benavento
From: Federico G. Benavento @ 2010-02-24  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

is this some sort of MVS type of spam?

--
Federico G. Benavento

* Re: [9fans] How 'bout a 9 USER site?
@ 2010-02-24  0:25             ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-02-24  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2010-02-24  0:20           ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2010-02-24  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2010-02-23 23:52         ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2010-02-23 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Is there an Amazon S3 based 9P server?   Just thinking out loud...

I thought brucee had one?

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] How 'bout a 9 USER site?
@ 2010-02-23 23:23       ` David Leimbach
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: David Leimbach @ 2010-02-23 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2010-02-23 23:20     ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2010-02-23 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2010-02-23 20:18   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-02-23 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue Feb 23 14:47:01 EST 2010, davide+p9@cs.cmu.edu wrote:
> This is pretty darn useful:
>
>   http://www.quanstro.net/newbie-guide.pdf
>
> and could be extended in some of the ways you mentioned (faces,
> how to find useful images such as bootable-USB, VMware, etc.).

for the moment, the author continues to maintain
this document.  i just put up a micro update today.

i'd be more than happy to keep other helpful documents
up and up-to-date, provided they earn their keep.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] How 'bout a 9 USER site?
@ 2010-02-23 20:12   ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2010-02-23 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2010-02-23 20:06 ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2010-02-23 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I've just had someone here try to install reFit on her Mac. She got it
done in spite of the wikis. There's so much wrong info out on the web
now in the form of wikis that it was all virtually useless. I become
more disappointed in wikis as the years go by.

Even the Plan 9 wiki has instructions in it that are not quite right
any more. If you're determined to do a wiki, perhaps you could do it
by offering corrections and additions to that one, rather than a new
one.

A wiki is a thing separate and apart from a Plan 9 file system, and
people have to go find it. Invariably, there are errors and problems
and info gets out of date. It's not synced to man pages or other
documents.  I don't like to assume failure either but after the n'th
time somebody has offered to put up a wiki and it's followed the same
sad trajectory, well, I end up feeling that wiki is the wrong model.
It's like the CADT model applied to support.

The standard Plan 9 information-passing mechanism is the man pages.
The standard script for "mount this stuff" are tools like 9fat and
9fs. Maybe the real problem is we need more scripts to help people
along.

It leads me to wonder if you could not glean what you need to know and
create a script called '9usb', for example. Once it's in there as a
script it's there for good and might even get maintained.

Sorry to be so discouraging, I just think the wiki is not going to do
what you want.

ron

* [9fans]  How 'bout a 9 USER site?
@ 2010-02-23 19:45 ` Dave Eckhardt
From: Dave Eckhardt @ 2010-02-23 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

This is pretty darn useful:

  http://www.quanstro.net/newbie-guide.pdf

and could be extended in some of the ways you mentioned (faces,
how to find useful images such as bootable-USB, VMware, etc.).

Also, for a while the Tokyo Inferno/Plan 9 User Group (tip9ug.jp)
ran a service where pretty much anybody could get an account on
a Plan 9 machine.  They seem down now... if it's not temporary,
something like that could be a real service.

Dave Eckhardt

* Re: [9fans] How 'bout a 9 USER site?
@ 2010-02-23 19:31     ` Tim Newsham
From: Tim Newsham @ 2010-02-23 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> $10 and about a half an hour in my WYSIWYG editor and i've got a site
> up.

If you believe in Plan9, why not make the site using plan9?
If you can't eat the dogfood, why try to sell it to others?

@ 2010-02-23 18:51       ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2010-02-23 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

We don't like web sites :P

* Re: [9fans] How 'bout a 9 USER site?
@ 2010-02-23 18:25     ` K T Kutani
From: K T Kutani @ 2010-02-23 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* Re: [9fans] How 'bout a 9 USER site?
@ 2010-02-23 17:52       ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-02-23 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Well, the problem is that by putting everything out on your own
> website, it's more of a trek to get there from the Wiki, which should
> basically be the first point for any Plan 9 questions. When one person
> controls the site, there's a bottleneck making it more difficult for
> other people to share their newbie resources; [...]

the wiki is pretty limiting.  how do you easily put a jpg or pdf up there?
how do you edit from the web securely?  why can't we post .ms documents
directly?

are you volunteering?  ☺

- erik

* Re: [9fans] How 'bout a 9 USER site?
@ 2010-02-23 17:50   ` Purple_Q
From: Purple_Q @ 2010-02-23 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Well, i'll look more closely at the wiki, but I'm dead serious about
putting up a site. You forget; I already own a domain and server
space.

$10 and about a half an hour in my WYSIWYG editor and i've got a site
up.
Yes and I am a newbie, and no, i've read alot of over my head stuff
but nothing simple and forward. I don't know that i've spent alot of
time on the wiki. My mistake perhaps.

If I can't get the support of at least some of the community, it can't
happen because i'm not versed enough in the intricacies of Plan9 to
run such a site alone.

* Re: [9fans] How 'bout a 9 USER site?
@ 2010-02-23 17:32     ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2010-02-23 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 11:43 AM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
> On Tue Feb 23 11:38:44 EST 2010, slawmaster@gmail.com wrote:
>> We've also had various newbies come in and promise to create a great,
>> simple site for users, but it never goes anywhere. I'd suggest looking
>> more closely at the Wiki, maybe creating some pages there and linking
>> them all from a "For New Users" page.
>
> thanks for pointing out the resources on the wiki,
> but i don't see how assuming failure is the path
> to success.
>
> - erik

Well, the problem is that by putting everything out on your own
website, it's more of a trek to get there from the Wiki, which should
basically be the first point for any Plan 9 questions. When one person
controls the site, there's a bottleneck making it more difficult for
other people to share their newbie resources; if instead Purple_Q
creates a "Newbie Resources" page on the wiki, everybody can link in
their own stuff as well.

I definitely like the idea of having more resources for new users, and
if Purple_Q is willing to put in the time, that's excellent.

John
--
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing" -- Rob Pike

* Re: [9fans] How 'bout a 9 USER site?
@ 2010-02-23 16:43   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-02-23 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue Feb 23 11:38:44 EST 2010, slawmaster@gmail.com wrote:
> We've also had various newbies come in and promise to create a great,
> simple site for users, but it never goes anywhere. I'd suggest looking
> more closely at the Wiki, maybe creating some pages there and linking
> them all from a "For New Users" page.

thanks for pointing out the resources on the wiki,
but i don't see how assuming failure is the path
to success.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] How 'bout a 9 USER site?
@ 2010-02-23 16:37 ` John Floren
                     ` (2 more replies)
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: John Floren @ 2010-02-23 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I think a lot of this info is on the Wiki already--USB disks, faces,
adding users, changing the background (come on, read the man page).

--
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing" -- Rob Pike

* [9fans] How 'bout a 9 USER site?
@ 2010-02-23 16:17 Purple_Q
                   ` (3 more replies)