* Re: [9fans] New Install
@ 2004-07-22 23:52 ` vdharani
From: vdharani @ 2004-07-22 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs; +Cc: 9fans

>  I also have another question, how can i fix my GfX during the GUI install
> of 9, i have tried 800x600x16 - The GUI is a bit rough, and some of the
> text is distorted, 1024 isan't any better but halft of typed/ Displayed
> text is still distorted and missing letters. Trying on a DELL Latitude
> laptop with ATI Rage 8MB M1.Any Help?
i think i have noticed this problem in some Dell models. basically it is
to do with graphics. i think you wont be able to run plan 9 on it.

thanks
dharani

* [9fans] New Install
@ 2004-08-01 10:03 Jon
From: Jon @ 2004-08-01 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi all,

I'm in the Partdisk option in the Install Process of 9, but can't figure out how to choose a different partition, what is the command? I have a completley 'EMPTY' partition i want to use.
 I also have another question, how can i fix my GfX during the GUI install of 9, i have tried 800x600x16 - The GUI is a bit rough, and some of the text is distorted, 1024 isan't any better but halft of typed/ Displayed text is still distorted and missing letters. Trying on a DELL Latitude laptop with ATI Rage 8MB M1.Any Help?

Thanks

* [9fans] New Install....
@ 2004-08-12 23:03 Jon F
From: Jon F @ 2004-08-12 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

* Re: [9fans] New Install...
@ 2004-08-11 17:41 ` Thomas Miller
From: Thomas Miller @ 2004-08-11 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

"Jon F" <jonfeero_13@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Yes I did [solve the problem], thanks for testing that out!

Good!

What was the problem?

How did you fix it?

Thanks,

Tom

* [9fans] New Install...
@ 2004-08-11 17:09 Jon F
From: Jon F @ 2004-08-11 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

* Re: [9fans] New Install...
@ 2004-08-10 21:18 ` Thomas Miller
From: Thomas Miller @ 2004-08-10 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

"Jon F" <jonfeero_13@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Can anyone figure out this problem?
>
> Just did a fresh install of 9, went to boot, typed Local - than glenda, and
> scattered fully accross the screen was this.... Please follow the link for the
> Picture: http://www.geocities.com/jonfeero_13/4236644.GIF
>
> Found a nice  Nvidia TNT2 16 MB AGP on ebay, install screen showed no glitches,
> or distorted text when i was installing.

Hello Jon,

Did you solve this problem yet?

I tried to reproduce the problem here without
success.

I think I have the same video card, and mine
works nicely with plan 9.

Kindest regards,

Tom

* [9fans] New Install...
@ 2004-08-09 19:12 Jon F
From: Jon F @ 2004-08-09 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

* Re: [9fans] New Install
@ 2004-07-19 10:20     ` vdharani
From: vdharani @ 2004-07-19 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> On 7/19/2004 05:52, vdharani@infernopark.com wrote:
>
>>> One thing the machine is lacking is any kind of wired ethernet.  I see
>>> that IBM shipped other configurations of the T21 with either an Intel
>>> or
>>> 3COM mini-pci combo card.  Is either of those supported?    Any other
>>> mini-pci ethernet cards known to work?
>> i think the Intel one should be fine. i heard there are slight
>> variations
>> in Intel ones but mine (in T23) works fine.
>
> Cool, hopefully ebay will be kind  :)
yes, thats where i thought i will try if mine didnt work. luckily i didnt
have to do it.

thanks
dharani

* Re: [9fans] New Install
@ 2004-07-19  9:52 ` vdharani
From: vdharani @ 2004-07-19  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2004-07-19  6:44 ` Adrian Tritschler
From: Adrian Tritschler @ 2004-07-19  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Jason Gurtz wrote:
> Well, I finally acquired a new (to me) T21 thinkpad and am proud to
> report that R4 installed just fine from the iso image pulled today.
>
> kfs was a no go (something like /bin/disk/kfscmd not found) but fossil
> worked out just fine.  Now to get 1400x1050 going....

I'm runnig a T21 and it will only work at 1024x768, even in Windows
that's all it'll do.

Its using kfs on a 10G partition
> One thing the machine is lacking is any kind of wired ethernet.  I see
> that IBM shipped other configurations of the T21 with either an Intel or
> 3COM mini-pci combo card.  Is either of those supported?    Any other
> mini-pci ethernet cards known to work?

AFAICT, the Intel card was the only one supported initially, which
caused me some confusion when I tried to install on my T21 and couldn't
get the network to work.

Its all been working fine for months now.  Updates from sources, etc.

#l0: elnk3: 100Mbps port 0x1800 irq 11: 00010382E2C1

> I've got a proxim 802.11a/b/g pc card in there now but I'm sure there's
> no hope for that just yet.

SOrry, can't help you there, but if you need any config files from mine,
just ask.

plan9.ini contains:
[common]
bootfile=sdC0!fs!/396/9pcidks
bootfile=sdC0!9fat!9pcdisk.new
bootdisk=local!#S/sdC0/fs
*nomp=1
debug=1
apm0=
distname=plan9
monitor=t23
vgasize=1024x768x8
mouseport=ps2

> Cheers,
>
> ~Jason
	ADrian

* Re: [9fans] New Install
@ 2004-07-19  4:52   ` Jason Gurtz
From: Jason Gurtz @ 2004-07-19  4:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 7/19/2004 05:52, vdharani@infernopark.com wrote:

>> One thing the machine is lacking is any kind of wired ethernet.  I see
>> that IBM shipped other configurations of the T21 with either an Intel or
>> 3COM mini-pci combo card.  Is either of those supported?    Any other
>> mini-pci ethernet cards known to work?
> i think the Intel one should be fine. i heard there are slight variations
> in Intel ones but mine (in T23) works fine.

Cool, hopefully ebay will be kind  :)

Thank,

~Jason

* [9fans] New Install