* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 as Unix client?
@ 2002-09-30 18:52 nigel
From: nigel @ 2002-09-30 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The FreeBSD MBR (booteasy) works just fine too. I use that to
three way boot WinXP, Plan 9, and FreeBSD on my laptop.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1744 bytes --]

From: "Russ Cox" <rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] Plan 9 as Unix client?
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 14:04:09 -0400

The /n/a:/bootsect.p9 trick doesn't work if the boot file system
isn't FAT.  Even if Plan 9 read NTFS, the NT boot loader won't use it.

Try Smart BootManager (http://btmgr.sf.net), mentioned on the
list a few weeks ago.

	hget http://pdos.lcs.mit.edu/~rsc/mbr.bootmgr >/386/mbr.bootmgr
	disk/mbr -m /386/mbr.bootmgr /dev/sdC0/data

The interface has some flaws, but on the whole it's reasonable,
and it doesn't require any particular OS to configure.  I've been
using it to dual-boot Windows XP and Plan 9 without problems.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 as Unix client?
@ 2002-10-01  6:22 nigel
From: nigel @ 2002-10-01  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Can't find yours at that address. I attach mine. Or at least, the
FreeBSD 4.5 distribution version. You find it as /boot/boot0
(as well as in sector 0).

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1512 bytes --]

From: "Russ Cox" <rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 18:40:53 -0400

I tried the FreeBSD MBR and couldn't make it boot
anything but Windows, though perhaps I broke something.

	hget http://pdos.lcs.mit.edu/~rsc/mbr.freebsd >/386/mbr.freebsd
	disk/mbr -m /386/mbr.freebsd /dev/sdC0/data

That's what didn't work for me.  Is that the same
boot block you've got?

Russ

[-- Attachment #3: boot0 --]

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 as Unix client?
@ 2002-10-01  2:09 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-10-01  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I just booted 2000, copied a:\bootsect.p9 to c:\bootsect.p9
> and booting works.

I thought I'd seen a report that
this didn't work, but I guess NTFS wasn't
the problem.  Neat.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 as Unix client?
@ 2002-09-30 23:57 presotto
From: presotto @ 2002-09-30 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

ARGH!  Ignore all my previous messages.  I forgot that Russ's
new stuff doesn't use 9fat.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2592 bytes --]

From: "John E. Barham" <jbarham@jbarham.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 14:38:30 -0700

> The /n/a:/bootsect.p9 trick doesn't work if the boot file system
> isn't FAT.  Even if Plan 9 read NTFS, the NT boot loader won't use it.

Which is my situation since my XP install is on NTFS.

> Try Smart BootManager (http://btmgr.sf.net), mentioned on the
> list a few weeks ago.

I installed it to a floppy and it works like a charm.  Thanks!

> Russ

    John

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 as Unix client?
@ 2002-09-30 23:49 presotto
From: presotto @ 2002-09-30 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I run mine off of ntfs.  I just booted 2000, copied a:\bootsect.p9 to c:\bootsect.p9
and booting works.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2592 bytes --]

From: "John E. Barham" <jbarham@jbarham.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 14:38:30 -0700

> The /n/a:/bootsect.p9 trick doesn't work if the boot file system
> isn't FAT.  Even if Plan 9 read NTFS, the NT boot loader won't use it.

Which is my situation since my XP install is on NTFS.

> Try Smart BootManager (http://btmgr.sf.net), mentioned on the
> list a few weeks ago.

I installed it to a floppy and it works like a charm.  Thanks!

> Russ

    John

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 as Unix client?
@ 2002-09-30 22:40 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-09-30 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-09-30 18:04 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-09-30 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-09-30 12:32 presotto
From: presotto @ 2002-09-30 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Assuming XP is just win2000 with a facelift, you should be able to use
the XP loader to boot plan 9.

Copy the first block of the partition into a windows file:
	dd -if /dev/sdC0/9fat -bs 512 -count 1 -of /n/a:/bootsect.p9
There must be a windows way to do this but I dinna know.

Boot windows and copy the file to c:

edit window's boot.ini (a hidden, protected, system, super secret file)
to add plan9 as a menu option.
	c:\bootsect.p9 = "Plan 9 from Bell Labs"

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3395 bytes --]

From: "John E. Barham" <jbarham@jbarham.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 01:25:43 -0700

> > > lots of people here use u9fs (i'm not booted in fbsd right now so i
can't
> > > tell you whether it's in ports) to mount a freebsd system remotely.
> > >
> > > http://www.ecf.toronto.edu/plan9/info/u9fs
> >
> > It's not in ports, but it compiles with ease. I use a FreeBSD 4.5 box as
> [snip rest]
>
> Point me to a place on the net to get the source and I'll whip up a
> port. (If the fact that I don't know where to get the source seems
> stupid, my bad, I'm really new with this).
>
> --
> Munish Chopra

I'm not sure that given the Plan 9 license that the u9fs code can just be
posted "on the net".

However, Andrey helpfully pointed me to the u9fs man page at
http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/magic/man2html/4/u9fs which says that the u9fs
source is in /sys/src/cmd/unix/u9fs, which I grabbed from my install CD.  It
compiled without a hitch on my FreeBSD box (although I haven't yet had a
chance to test it).

Which leads me to my next question:  At the end of the install I didn't make
a boot floppy (I forgot that my XP partition isn't FAT) and wonder what the
best way to boot my new 9 partition is?

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 as Unix client?
@ 2002-09-30  8:23 nigel
From: nigel @ 2002-09-30  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Point me to a place on the net to get the source and I'll whip up a
> port. (If the fact that I don't know where to get the source seems
> stupid, my bad, I'm really new with this).

/sys/src/cmd/unix/u9fs

There isn't really any need for a port; you type make, and it compiles.

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 as Unix client?
@ 2002-09-30  6:46 nigel
From: nigel @ 2002-09-30  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> I'm assuming that Plan9's ssh client is as good as anything else, but how
>> viable would running acme w/ ftpfs connected to my server be as a remote
>> editor?
>>

> plan9's ssh client is only v1, which could be a problem...
>
> lots of people here use u9fs (i'm not booted in fbsd right now so i can't
> tell you whether it's in ports) to mount a freebsd system remotely.
>
> http://www.ecf.toronto.edu/plan9/info/u9fs

It's not in ports, but it compiles with ease. I use a FreeBSD 4.5 box as a
shared server between Windows world and Plan 9 world. It runs u9fs and
samba, and also compensates for my lack of a postscript printer. I
regularly ssh to it as it has no keyboard/screen.

And yes, I would prefer to have a Windows machine that spoke 9p2000.

* [9fans] Plan 9 as Unix client?
@ 2002-09-30  6:23 John E. Barham
From: John E. Barham @ 2002-09-30  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi folks,

After a lengthy hiatus I'd like to get back to playing w/ Plan 9.  So far
the install from CD has been very smooth.

I have to remotely admin a FreeBSD server.  So far I've been using Tera Term
on Windows (i.e., an ssh enabled terminal emulator) but it's a pain doing
any serious file editing and I don't care to use either vi or emacs or
(needless to say?) X.

I'm assuming that Plan9's ssh client is as good as anything else, but how
viable would running acme w/ ftpfs connected to my server be as a remote
editor?

Also, has there been any attempt at implementing WebDAV as a filesystem in
Plan 9?

    John