* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 as Unix client?
@ 2002-09-30  8:23 nigel
From: nigel @ 2002-09-30  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Point me to a place on the net to get the source and I'll whip up a
> port. (If the fact that I don't know where to get the source seems
> stupid, my bad, I'm really new with this).

/sys/src/cmd/unix/u9fs

There isn't really any need for a port; you type make, and it compiles.

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 as Unix client?
@ 2002-10-01  6:22 nigel
From: nigel @ 2002-10-01  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Can't find yours at that address. I attach mine. Or at least, the
FreeBSD 4.5 distribution version. You find it as /boot/boot0
(as well as in sector 0).

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1512 bytes --]

From: "Russ Cox" <rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] Plan 9 as Unix client?
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 18:40:53 -0400

I tried the FreeBSD MBR and couldn't make it boot
anything but Windows, though perhaps I broke something.

	hget http://pdos.lcs.mit.edu/~rsc/mbr.freebsd >/386/mbr.freebsd
	disk/mbr -m /386/mbr.freebsd /dev/sdC0/data

That's what didn't work for me.  Is that the same
boot block you've got?

Russ

[-- Attachment #3: boot0 --]

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 as Unix client?
@ 2002-10-01  2:09 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-10-01  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I just booted 2000, copied a:\bootsect.p9 to c:\bootsect.p9
> and booting works.

I thought I'd seen a report that
this didn't work, but I guess NTFS wasn't
the problem.  Neat.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 as Unix client?
@ 2002-09-30 23:57 presotto
From: presotto @ 2002-09-30 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

ARGH!  Ignore all my previous messages.  I forgot that Russ's
new stuff doesn't use 9fat.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2592 bytes --]

From: "John E. Barham" <jbarham@jbarham.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 14:38:30 -0700

> The /n/a:/bootsect.p9 trick doesn't work if the boot file system
> isn't FAT.  Even if Plan 9 read NTFS, the NT boot loader won't use it.

Which is my situation since my XP install is on NTFS.

> Try Smart BootManager (http://btmgr.sf.net), mentioned on the
> list a few weeks ago.

I installed it to a floppy and it works like a charm.  Thanks!

> Russ

    John

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 as Unix client?
@ 2002-09-30 23:49 presotto
From: presotto @ 2002-09-30 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I run mine off of ntfs.  I just booted 2000, copied a:\bootsect.p9 to c:\bootsect.p9
and booting works.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2592 bytes --]

From: "John E. Barham" <jbarham@jbarham.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 14:38:30 -0700

> The /n/a:/bootsect.p9 trick doesn't work if the boot file system
> isn't FAT.  Even if Plan 9 read NTFS, the NT boot loader won't use it.

Which is my situation since my XP install is on NTFS.

> Try Smart BootManager (http://btmgr.sf.net), mentioned on the
> list a few weeks ago.

I installed it to a floppy and it works like a charm.  Thanks!

> Russ

    John

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 as Unix client?
@ 2002-09-30 23:26 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2002-09-30 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I've set up a dual boot (FBSD/P9) machine twice, once in 2000 (R3) and
once a few months ago. Both times it seemed natural to install P9 first
on its own primary partition and then leave the FBSD bootloader to
recognize it later, when FBSD is installed.

Both times it worked fine, with the exception that the 3.4 release MBR
prompted me 'F1: Plan 9' and the current one (4.4, when it was installed)
does a 'F1: ??'...

Not a really useful post, but who knows -- someone may stumble upon it
on google :)

andrey

@ 2002-09-30 22:40 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-09-30 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-09-30 21:38 ` John E. Barham
From: John E. Barham @ 2002-09-30 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> The /n/a:/bootsect.p9 trick doesn't work if the boot file system
> isn't FAT.  Even if Plan 9 read NTFS, the NT boot loader won't use it.

Which is my situation since my XP install is on NTFS.

> Try Smart BootManager (http://btmgr.sf.net), mentioned on the
> list a few weeks ago.

I installed it to a floppy and it works like a charm.  Thanks!

> Russ

    John

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 as Unix client?
@ 2002-09-30 18:52 nigel
From: nigel @ 2002-09-30 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The FreeBSD MBR (booteasy) works just fine too. I use that to
three way boot WinXP, Plan 9, and FreeBSD on my laptop.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1744 bytes --]

From: "Russ Cox" <rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 14:04:09 -0400

The /n/a:/bootsect.p9 trick doesn't work if the boot file system
isn't FAT.  Even if Plan 9 read NTFS, the NT boot loader won't use it.

Try Smart BootManager (http://btmgr.sf.net), mentioned on the
list a few weeks ago.

	hget http://pdos.lcs.mit.edu/~rsc/mbr.bootmgr >/386/mbr.bootmgr
	disk/mbr -m /386/mbr.bootmgr /dev/sdC0/data

The interface has some flaws, but on the whole it's reasonable,
and it doesn't require any particular OS to configure.  I've been
using it to dual-boot Windows XP and Plan 9 without problems.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 as Unix client?
@ 2002-09-30 18:04 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-09-30 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-09-30 12:32 presotto
From: presotto @ 2002-09-30 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Assuming XP is just win2000 with a facelift, you should be able to use
the XP loader to boot plan 9.

Copy the first block of the partition into a windows file:
	dd -if /dev/sdC0/9fat -bs 512 -count 1 -of /n/a:/bootsect.p9
There must be a windows way to do this but I dinna know.

Boot windows and copy the file to c:

edit window's boot.ini (a hidden, protected, system, super secret file)
to add plan9 as a menu option.
	c:\bootsect.p9 = "Plan 9 from Bell Labs"

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3395 bytes --]

From: "John E. Barham" <jbarham@jbarham.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 01:25:43 -0700

> > > lots of people here use u9fs (i'm not booted in fbsd right now so i
can't
> > > tell you whether it's in ports) to mount a freebsd system remotely.
> > >
> > > http://www.ecf.toronto.edu/plan9/info/u9fs
> >
> > It's not in ports, but it compiles with ease. I use a FreeBSD 4.5 box as
> [snip rest]
>
> Point me to a place on the net to get the source and I'll whip up a
> port. (If the fact that I don't know where to get the source seems
> stupid, my bad, I'm really new with this).
>
> --
> Munish Chopra

I'm not sure that given the Plan 9 license that the u9fs code can just be
posted "on the net".

However, Andrey helpfully pointed me to the u9fs man page at
http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/magic/man2html/4/u9fs which says that the u9fs
source is in /sys/src/cmd/unix/u9fs, which I grabbed from my install CD.  It
compiled without a hitch on my FreeBSD box (although I haven't yet had a
chance to test it).

Which leads me to my next question:  At the end of the install I didn't make
a boot floppy (I forgot that my XP partition isn't FAT) and wonder what the
best way to boot my new 9 partition is?

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 as Unix client?
@ 2002-09-30  8:25   ` John E. Barham
From: John E. Barham @ 2002-09-30  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-09-30  7:21 ` Munish Chopra
From: Munish Chopra @ 2002-09-30  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On 2002-09-30 07:46 +0000, nigel@9fs.org wrote:

> >> I'm assuming that Plan9's ssh client is as good as anything else, but how
> >> viable would running acme w/ ftpfs connected to my server be as a remote
> >> editor?
> >>

> > plan9's ssh client is only v1, which could be a problem...
> >
> > lots of people here use u9fs (i'm not booted in fbsd right now so i can't
> > tell you whether it's in ports) to mount a freebsd system remotely.
> >
> > http://www.ecf.toronto.edu/plan9/info/u9fs
>
> It's not in ports, but it compiles with ease. I use a FreeBSD 4.5 box as a
[snip rest]

@ 2002-09-30  6:46 nigel
From: nigel @ 2002-09-30  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> I'm assuming that Plan9's ssh client is as good as anything else, but how
>> viable would running acme w/ ftpfs connected to my server be as a remote
>> editor?
>>

> plan9's ssh client is only v1, which could be a problem...
>
> lots of people here use u9fs (i'm not booted in fbsd right now so i can't
> tell you whether it's in ports) to mount a freebsd system remotely.
>
> http://www.ecf.toronto.edu/plan9/info/u9fs

It's not in ports, but it compiles with ease. I use a FreeBSD 4.5 box as a
shared server between Windows world and Plan 9 world. It runs u9fs and
samba, and also compensates for my lack of a postscript printer. I
regularly ssh to it as it has no keyboard/screen.

And yes, I would prefer to have a Windows machine that spoke 9p2000.

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 as Unix client?
@ 2002-09-30  6:30 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2002-09-30  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sun, 29 Sep 2002, John E. Barham wrote:

> I'm assuming that Plan9's ssh client is as good as anything else, but how
> viable would running acme w/ ftpfs connected to my server be as a remote
> editor?

plan9's ssh client is only v1, which could be a problem...

lots of people here use u9fs (i'm not booted in fbsd right now so i can't
tell you whether it's in ports) to mount a freebsd system remotely.

http://www.ecf.toronto.edu/plan9/info/u9fs

* [9fans] Plan 9 as Unix client?
@ 2002-09-30  6:23 John E. Barham
From: John E. Barham @ 2002-09-30  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi folks,

After a lengthy hiatus I'd like to get back to playing w/ Plan 9.  So far
the install from CD has been very smooth.

I have to remotely admin a FreeBSD server.  So far I've been using Tera Term
on Windows (i.e., an ssh enabled terminal emulator) but it's a pain doing
any serious file editing and I don't care to use either vi or emacs or
(needless to say?) X.

I'm assuming that Plan9's ssh client is as good as anything else, but how
viable would running acme w/ ftpfs connected to my server be as a remote
editor?

Also, has there been any attempt at implementing WebDAV as a filesystem in
Plan 9?

    John