* [9fans] Anyone else see this?
@ 2007-06-19 22:00 LiteStar numnums
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: LiteStar numnums @ 2007-06-19 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=238941&threshold=1&commentsort=0&mode=thread&cid=19566827

--
    "By cosmic rule, as day yields night, so winter summer, war peace,
plenty famine. All things change. Air penetrates the lump of myrrh, until
the joining bodies die and rise again in smoke called incense."

    "Men do not know how that which is drawn in different directions
harmonises with itself. The harmonious structure of the world depends upon
opposite tension like that of the bow and the lyre."

    "This universe, which is the same for all, has not been made by any god
or man, but it always has been, is, and will be an ever-living fire,
kindling itself by regular measures and going out by regular measures"
-- Heraclitus

* Re: [9fans] Anyone else see this?
@ 2007-06-19 22:11 ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2007-06-19 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 6/19/07, LiteStar numnums <litestar@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=238941&threshold=1&commentsort=0&mode=thread&cid=19566827
>
> --
>     "By cosmic rule, as day yields night, so winter summer, war peace,
> plenty famine. All things change. Air penetrates the lump of myrrh, until
> the joining bodies die and rise again in smoke called incense."
>
>     "Men do not know how that which is drawn in different directions
> harmonises with itself. The harmonious structure of the world depends upon
> opposite tension like that of the bow and the lyre."
>
>      "This universe, which is the same for all, has not been made by any god
> or man, but it always has been, is, and will be an ever-living fire,
> kindling itself by regular measures and going out by regular measures"
>  -- Heraclitus

Seems like there's some valid criticisms in the post.
I know it's heresy to question the Holy Code of Pike et al, yet the
guy does have something worthwhile to say. Hell, it's crazy, but maybe
it's even a good idea to use variables longer than 2 characters and to
put comments in code!
Also, LiteStar, you wil the award for longest sig.

John
--
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

* Re: [9fans] Anyone else see this?
@ 2007-06-19 22:13 ` Tim Wiess
From: Tim Wiess @ 2007-06-19 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=238941&threshold=1&commentsort=0&mode=thread&cid=19566827

who cares?
it's slashdot.

* Re: [9fans] Anyone else see this?
@ 2007-06-19 22:14   ` Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2007-06-19 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> it's even a good idea to use variables longer than 2 characters and to
> put comments in code!

Now that it´s been for years that I´ve been suggesting students not
do so? :)

* Re: [9fans] Anyone else see this?
@ 2007-06-19 22:41 ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2007-06-19 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=238941&threshold=1&commentsort=0&mode=thread&cid=19566827

it's comical that he's posting as anonymous. i think i have
discovered his identity. it was not complicated ;)

if i'm right, it's another malfunction from hanger 18.

* Re: [9fans] Anyone else see this?
@ 2007-06-19 22:44   ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2007-06-19 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> hanger 18.

make that hangar18.  should it be anger18?

* Re: [9fans] Anyone else see this?
@ 2007-06-19 23:54   ` LiteStar numnums
From: LiteStar numnums @ 2007-06-19 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

The point was that it's interesting none-the-less.

--

@ 2007-06-20  0:50   ` LiteStar numnums
From: LiteStar numnums @ 2007-06-20  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 6/19/07, Skip Tavakkolian <9nut@9netics.com> wrote:

> http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=238941&threshold=1&commentsort=0&mode=thread&cid=19566827
>
> it's comical that he's posting as anonymous. i think i have
> discovered his identity. it was not complicated ;)
>
> if i'm right, it's another malfunction from hanger 18.

Odd that. I seem to recall a halfway decent article in SysAdmin about
installing & using Plan9 (with kfs) written by a Hangar18 member (is there
more than one?).
Steve Simon's post further down is significantly more interesting than the
normal /. 'lol u iz informanative' drivel. The only things not addressed in
his post is the original poster's comments about Rob Pike and the
categorizations. The comparisons made, esp. the one about a coop [sic] tenet
are odd, considering that the original article was about Plan9 running on
Blue Gene.
The comments about Rob Pike are even stranger (to me, maybe I'm
misinformed); I joined 9fans shortly after having read that SysAdmin article
& several other sources. I don't seem to recall anything particularly crazy
coming from Pike that would indicate anything the poster takes for granted.
Besides, GSoC is open to anyone, not just Googlers' pet projects. Beyond
that, Rob Pike's name isn't even on the page anywhere....
Pah, I give up with such crap...
;-)
--

@ 2007-06-20  1:49     ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2007-06-20  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Steve Simon's post further down is significantly more interesting than the
> normal /. 'lol u iz informanative' drivel.

yet, the moderator gives it a score of 0 compared to a 1 for the
drivel.  why?

* Re: [9fans] Anyone else see this?
@ 2007-06-20  1:53       ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-06-20  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > Steve Simon's post further down is significantly more interesting than the
> > normal /. 'lol u iz informanative' drivel.
>
> yet, the moderator gives it a score of 0 compared to a 1 for the
> drivel.  why?

This isn't Plan 9.  This is Slashdot.  We don't need rules.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Anyone else see this?
@ 2007-06-20  5:54         ` Bruce Ellis
                             ` (2 more replies)
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2007-06-20  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

opinionated inaccurate posts on ./ - no way.

BTW i need a browser for my super computer.
what do you suggest?

(laptop with drawterm costs less than 1 hour of power.)

the cray at the labs had a VT console.  it was fun to use
remote.  no-one could write a program in that noisy room,
well dennis must have spent too long in there but it was
worth it.

brucee

@ 2007-06-20 16:13           ` Jack Johnson
From: Jack Johnson @ 2007-06-20 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 6/19/07, Bruce Ellis <bruce.ellis@gmail.com> wrote:
> opinionated inaccurate posts on ./ - no way.

I'm surprised no one caught/mentioned this:

------

The top 10 dead (or dying) computer skills

[...]

6. C programming
As the Web takes over, C languages are also becoming less relevant,
according to Padveen. "C++ and C Sharp are still alive and kicking,
but try to find a basic C-only programmer today, and you'll likely
find a guy that's unemployed and/or training for a new skill," he
says.

------

http://www.globalknowledge.com/training/customgo.asp?find=P38_FEATURE&id=18488&pageid=29&country=United+States

-Jack

* Re: [9fans] Anyone else see this?
@ 2007-06-20 16:16             ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2007-06-20 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 6/20/07, Jack Johnson <knapjack@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/19/07, Bruce Ellis <bruce.ellis@gmail.com> wrote:
> > opinionated inaccurate posts on ./ - no way.
>
> I'm surprised no one caught/mentioned this:
>
> ------
>
> The top 10 dead (or dying) computer skills
>
> [...]
>
> 6. C programming
> As the Web takes over, C languages are also becoming less relevant,
> according to Padveen. "C++ and C Sharp are still alive and kicking,
> but try to find a basic C-only programmer today, and you'll likely
> find a guy that's unemployed and/or training for a new skill," he
> says.
>
> ------
>
> http://www.globalknowledge.com/training/customgo.asp?find
> =P38_FEATURE&id=18488&pageid=29&country=United+States
>

> -Jack

I beg to differ, I know lots of C programmers, and only few good ones :-)
 (And I don't consider myself to be that great either...)
I actually did learn C++ before C too, that probably screwed me up for good.

What's a kid in an under-funded school to do when the only way he feels he
can learn to program is to save up and buy a copy of Turbo C++ for DOS :-)
 (also known as the last IDE system I ever liked.)

Dave

* Re: [9fans] Anyone else see this?
@ 2007-06-25  8:40           ` Douglas A. Gwyn
From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2007-06-25  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

"Bruce Ellis" <bruce.ellis@gmail.com> wrote...
> the cray at the labs had a VT console.

At BRL I used to access the Crays via a DMD 5620 (commercial Blit)
and later a 630 MTG via various Unix minis (supporting layers on the
Blits) and local network.  The remote feature of "sam" (-r option) came
in handy.

* Re: [9fans] Anyone else see this?
@ 2007-06-25 14:17     ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2007-06-25 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 6/19/07, Skip Tavakkolian <9nut@9netics.com> wrote:
> > hanger 18.
>
> make that hangar18.  should it be anger18?

no, you need hanger18 to manage the anger18 at hangar18. They're all
teens I bet.

ron

* Re: [9fans] Anyone else see this?
@ 2007-06-25 14:19           ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2007-06-25 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 6/19/07, Bruce Ellis <bruce.ellis@gmail.com> wrote:

> BTW i need a browser for my super computer.
> what do you suggest?

abaco will run just fine once FP support goes in. Eric van rio and
faces on one of the nodes.

Not sure what you do with 130K browsers. parallel rendering of /.?

ron

* Re: [9fans] Anyone else see this?
@ 2007-06-25 19:17             ` Jack Johnson
From: Jack Johnson @ 2007-06-25 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 6/25/07, ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not sure what you do with 130K browsers. parallel rendering of /.?

Server load testing.  Of course.

I suppose you could always spike your Google AdSense counts....

-Jack

* Re: [9fans] Anyone else see this?
@ 2007-06-25 23:44               ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2007-06-25 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

probably ISP load testing is more like it.  i wonder how many
tcp connections i can open simultaneously before things
get sick (anyone tried this on a rainy afternoon?).
who will crumble first?  the adsl modem?  the local node?
the aggregator?  the traffic shaper?  the accounting software!?
or if the connections are scattered would some DNS blow up?
maybe OSPF or BGP?

at a higher level, swarming an online gaming site with 130K
keen poker players would be something to watch, perhaps
starting off with a small crowd and then getting silly.

getting silly.

brucee

@ 2007-06-28 20:22     ` matt
From: matt @ 2007-06-28 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> The point was that it's interesting none-the-less.
Someone who doesn't know what they are talking about ranting on.

Interesting? Hardly.

* Re: [9fans] Anyone else see this?
@ 2007-06-29  0:34             ` Chris Nystrom
From: Chris Nystrom @ 2007-06-29  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 6/20/07, Jack Johnson <knapjack@gmail.com> wrote:

> 6. C programming
> As the Web takes over, C languages are also becoming less relevant,
> according to Padveen. "C++ and C Sharp are still alive and kicking,
> but try to find a basic C-only programmer today, and you'll likely
> find a guy that's unemployed and/or training for a new skill," he
> says.

http://www.tux.org/lkml/index.html#s15-3

Chris

--