* [9fans] -mpm Again
@ 2005-07-26 15:59 Gregory Pavelcak
From: Gregory Pavelcak @ 2005-07-26 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I've seen some archived talk about -mpm, and
even built it on FreeBSD 4.11 from plan9port.
But my question is is it possible to get a working
aux/pm binary onto a current Plan 9 system and,
if it is, how?

Thanks.

Greg

* Re: [9fans] -mpm Again
@ 2005-07-26 16:21 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-07-26 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I've seen some archived talk about -mpm, and
> even built it on FreeBSD 4.11 from plan9port.
> But my question is is it possible to get a working
> aux/pm binary onto a current Plan 9 system and,
> if it is, how?

Three options, in decreasing order of difficulty.

1. Write a C++ compiler for Plan 9.
2. Convert the mpm sources from C++ to C by hand.
3. 9fs sources; cp /n/sources/contrib/rsc/pm /386/bin/aux/pm

That binary is from the 2e CD.  I've been using a different,
newer binary locally, but I doubt it matters and I feel more
comfortable putting out the previously-released one.
If you find it doesn't work, let me know.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] -mpm Again
@ 2005-07-26 16:37   ` Gregory Pavelcak
From: Gregory Pavelcak @ 2005-07-26 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russ Cox, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Jul 26, 2005, at 12:21 PM, Russ Cox wrote:

>> I've seen some archived talk about -mpm, and
>> even built it on FreeBSD 4.11 from plan9port.
>> But my question is is it possible to get a working
>> aux/pm binary onto a current Plan 9 system and,
>> if it is, how?
>>

> Three options, in decreasing order of difficulty.
>
> 1. Write a C++ compiler for Plan 9.
> 2. Convert the mpm sources from C++ to C by hand.
> 3. 9fs sources; cp /n/sources/contrib/rsc/pm /386/bin/aux/pm
>
> That binary is from the 2e CD.  I've been using a different,
> newer binary locally, but I doubt it matters and I feel more
> comfortable putting out the previously-released one.
> If you find it doesn't work, let me know.
>
> Russ

Hmmmm. I guess I'll just randomly pick... Ohhhh.... 3

Russ, you have made my day. Already did 3 and used it successfully on
one small file.

I'm a little embarrassed for not having searched it out myself.
Thanks very much.

Greg

* Re: [9fans] -mpm Again
@ 2005-07-27  5:57   ` Tim Newsham
From: Tim Newsham @ 2005-07-27  5:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> 3. 9fs sources; cp /n/sources/contrib/rsc/pm /386/bin/aux/pm
>
> That binary is from the 2e CD.

Hm..  I guess this means 2e binaries run on 4e?  How much
compatibility is there between the different editions?
I guess not having shared libraries pays good dividends here.

> Russ

Tim Newsham
http://www.lava.net/~newsham/

* Re: [9fans] -mpm Again
@ 2005-07-27 13:09     ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-07-27 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Hm..  I guess this means 2e binaries run on 4e?  How much
> compatibility is there between the different editions?
> I guess not having shared libraries pays good dividends here.

Enough has changed that more complicated programs
would be a problem, but pm is not much more complicated
than cat as far as system calls go.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] -mpm Again
@ 2005-07-27 13:14       ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2005-07-27 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: russcox, 9fans

and even it manages only because the kernel still implements read and write
system calls for old executables  (read and write now call pread and pwrite)

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3375 bytes --]

From: Russ Cox <russcox@gmail.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [9fans] -mpm Again
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 09:09:36 -0400