* [9fans] build iso's plan9 for amd64, atom, arm, powerpc
@ 2013-01-02 18:40 Francesco Cardi
From: Francesco Cardi @ 2013-01-02 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello I have read many useful information on the net but I have not
found specific details to create the image of plan 9 for each
platform, I saw the patch applied by 9legacy but the notes are not
very detailed, who can give me the documentation for create iso differ
according to the architecture of use, I want to create an iso for
amd64, one per atom, one for arm and finally one for powerpc, I think
it's also nice that anyone can download from the internet without
trying to infinity, let me know.

greetings

--
Cardi Francesco alias Il Parente
Free Software activist

Diaspora*: https://joindiaspora.com/u/ilparente
Identi.ca: https://identi.ca/cardifrancesco
Jabber: ilparente@jabber.org

* Re: [9fans] build iso's plan9 for amd64, atom, arm, powerpc
@ 2013-01-02 18:50 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2013-01-02 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed Jan  2 13:42:10 EST 2013, cardifrancesco@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello I have read many useful information on the net but I have not
> found specific details to create the image of plan 9 for each
> platform, I saw the patch applied by 9legacy but the notes are not
> very detailed, who can give me the documentation for create iso differ
> according to the architecture of use, I want to create an iso for
> amd64, one per atom, one for arm and finally one for powerpc, I think
> it's also nice that anyone can download from the internet without
> trying to infinity, let me know.

i currently have an iso image with amd64, arm, and 386 binaries.  it's
not tested because i am waiting on a sata cd drive.  however, it's not
clear to me that the binaries are anything but dead weight in the cd
because if you can run amd64, you should be able to install as a 386
machine and compile /sys/src yourself.  if you've got an arm, then
i am not sure how it makes sense to boot from an iso image.  how
does that work.  in any event, you can install on a 386 and move onto
arm from there.  it's probablly not ideal, but it should work.

i'm wondering if the install media should contain nothing but the
source, a bootstrap loader, a kernel and just enough binaries to
be able to compile all the source for whatever arches you're interested
in.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] build iso's plan9 for amd64, atom, arm, powerpc
@ 2013-01-02 19:13   ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2013-01-02 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> i'm wondering if the install media should contain nothing but the
> source, a bootstrap loader, a kernel and just enough binaries to
> be able to compile all the source for whatever arches you're interested
> in.

I recently put together just such a thing for arm.  This set of binaries
is enough to build everything else:

arm - sys sys
	init - sys sys
	bin - sys sys
		mk  - sys sys
		rm - sys sys
		echo - sys sys
		5c - sys sys
		5l - sys sys
		5a - sys sys
		lex - sys sys
		yacc - sys sys
		ar - sys sys
		test - sys sys
		rc - sys sys
		mntgen - sys sys
		bind - sys sys
		ls - sys sys
		disk - sys sys
			fdisk - sys sys
			prep - sys sys
		grep - sys sys
		read - sys sys
		ndb - sys sys
			cs - sys sys
			dns - sys sys
		ip - sys sys
			ipconfig - sys sys
		aux - sys sys
			timesync - sys sys
		chmod - sys sys
		cat - sys sys
		ps - sys sys
		awk - sys sys
		sed - sys sys
		date - sys sys
		awd - sys sys
		cp - sys sys
		tr - sys sys
		pcc - sys sys
		cpp - sys sys
		mv - sys sys

* Re: [9fans] build iso's plan9 for amd64, atom, arm, powerpc
@ 2013-01-02 19:16   ` Samantha Baldwin
From: Samantha Baldwin @ 2013-01-02 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Jan 02, 2013 at 01:50:23PM -0500, erik quanstrom wrote:
> i currently have an iso image with amd64, arm, and 386 binaries.  it's
> not tested because i am waiting on a sata cd drive.  [...]

I have one that I'm not using, would you like me to mail it to you?

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 501 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] build iso's plan9 for amd64, atom, arm, powerpc
@ 2013-01-02 19:51     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2013-01-02 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed Jan  2 14:24:50 EST 2013, sbaldwin@ednos.net wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 02, 2013 at 01:50:23PM -0500, erik quanstrom wrote:
> > i currently have an iso image with amd64, arm, and 386 binaries.  it's
> > not tested because i am waiting on a sata cd drive.  [...]
>
> I have one that I'm not using, would you like me to mail it to you?

thanks, one should be coming this week.

newegg has mastered the art of delaying packages
the maximum amount unless you pay extra.  newark
gets stuff to me in <24 hrs with standard shipping.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] build iso's plan9 for amd64, atom, arm, powerpc
@ 2013-01-02 19:58     ` Francesco Cardi
From: Francesco Cardi @ 2013-01-02 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I think the most practical thing is to create an iso based on the
specific architecture you have, you have to give me the link, the
messages I have written does not give me complete information but they
are only concepts, I need documntazione I want to build a iso, do not
want to create a combo iso for various things

--
Cardi Francesco alias Il Parente
Free Software activist
CEO/President Movimento Culturale GNU CODICE LIBERO

Diaspora*: https://joindiaspora.com/u/ilparente
Identi.ca: https://identi.ca/cardifrancesco
Jabber: ilparente@jabber.org

* Re: [9fans] build iso's plan9 for amd64, atom, arm, powerpc
@ 2013-01-02 20:11       ` John Floren
                           ` (3 more replies)
From: John Floren @ 2013-01-02 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

What I think people are trying to say is that this doesn't really make
a lot of sense. The AMD64 system doesn't have any installer work done
for it at all--I think it's not far off, but to the best of my
knowledge nobody has built a CDROM that boots the 64-bit kernel and
gives you the installer from there (Erik, have you done this yet?).
I've never even SEEN an ARM system with a CD-ROM, and it's uncertain
if a given ARM system's bootloader will support booting from a USB
CD-ROM drive; it's just not how OSes are installed on ARM!

john

On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 11:58 AM, Francesco Cardi
<cardifrancesco@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the most practical thing is to create an iso based on the
> specific architecture you have, you have to give me the link, the
> messages I have written does not give me complete information but they
> are only concepts, I need documntazione I want to build a iso, do not
> want to create a combo iso for various things
>

> --
> Cardi Francesco alias Il Parente
> Free Software activist
> CEO/President Movimento Culturale GNU CODICE LIBERO
>
> Diaspora*: https://joindiaspora.com/u/ilparente
> Identi.ca: https://identi.ca/cardifrancesco
> Jabber: ilparente@jabber.org

* Re: [9fans] build iso's plan9 for amd64, atom, arm, powerpc
@ 2013-01-02 20:19         ` Francesco Cardi
                           ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Francesco Cardi @ 2013-01-02 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> What I think people are trying to say is that this doesn't really make
> a lot of sense. The AMD64 system doesn't have any installer work done
> for it at all--I think it's not far off, but to the best of my
> knowledge nobody has built a CDROM that boots the 64-bit kernel and
> gives you the installer from there (Erik, have you done this yet?).
> I've never even SEEN an ARM system with a CD-ROM, and it's uncertain
> if a given ARM system's bootloader will support booting from a USB
> CD-ROM drive; it's just not how OSes are installed on ARM!

operating systems such as the family has bsd iso images for
architecture selection, plan 9 does not have all the iso images
because it has so many volunteers, but if it is possible to compile
the kernel for the amd64 architecture is also can create the iso with
the new kernel loaded, the same thing is to arm, not a problem if the
problem is not a CD i do not have an iso for the architecture that i
use, you have the link to the documentation?

--

@ 2013-01-02 20:45         ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2013-01-02 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> knowledge nobody has built a CDROM that boots the 64-bit kernel and
> gives you the installer from there (Erik, have you done this yet?).

no, i don't see the point.  it's a multi platform thing and there is nothing
lost in installing or installing from the 32-bit binaries, even if you run
a 64-bit kernel.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] build iso's plan9 for amd64, atom, arm, powerpc
@ 2013-01-02 20:56           ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2013-01-02 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> it's a multi platform thing

by this i mean, a big plus for plan 9 is the ability to seemlessly
deal with many architectures.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] build iso's plan9 for amd64, atom, arm, powerpc
@ 2013-01-03  0:00             ` Francesco Cardi
From: Francesco Cardi @ 2013-01-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> by this i mean, a big plus for plan 9 is the ability to seemlessly
> deal with many architectures.

ah ok
so I do not need to load the kernel for specific architecture? is
already supported native?

--

@ 2013-01-03  0:08         ` Matthew Veety
From: Matthew Veety @ 2013-01-03  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I think some of the acorn machines had CDROM drives. They can't boot from them though.

@ 2013-01-03  0:15           ` Francesco Cardi
From: Francesco Cardi @ 2013-01-03  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I think some of the acorn machines had CDROM drives. They can't boot from them though.

right and so it's like I said, I read in the documentation that you
have loaded the kernel-specific architecture along, I want to load the
kernel and then create an iso with that kernel, the same thing has
been made with nix-os is to plan 9 amd64.
There is documentation to create the iso?

--

@ 2013-01-03 17:39             ` Matthew Veety
From: Matthew Veety @ 2013-01-03 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Here's how to make a 9front iso. I would guess
that building a bell labs dist is similar.

http://code.google.com/p/plan9front/wiki/build

--
Veety

* Re: [9fans] build iso's plan9 for amd64, atom, arm, powerpc
@ 2013-01-03 19:20               ` Francesco Cardi
From: Francesco Cardi @ 2013-01-03 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Here's how to make a 9front iso. I would guess
> that building a bell labs dist is similar.
>
> http://code.google.com/p/plan9front/wiki/build
>
> --
> Veety

very good thanks, if I have problems or questions ask you something.

greetings

--

@ 2013-01-03 19:35               ` Iruatã Souza
From: Iruatã Souza @ 2013-01-03 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 3:39 PM, Matthew Veety <mveety@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here's how to make a 9front iso. I would guess
> that building a bell labs dist is similar.
>
> http://code.google.com/p/plan9front/wiki/build
>
> --
> Veety

Not that similar.
http://maht0x0r.blogspot.com.br/2007/11/roll-your-own-plan9-iso.html
used to work for the labs version.

* Re: [9fans] build iso's plan9 for amd64, atom, arm, powerpc
                           ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2013-01-03 22:42         ` Gorka Guardiola
From: Gorka Guardiola @ 2013-01-03 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 9:11 PM, John Floren <john@jfloren.net> wrote:
> What I think people are trying to say is that this doesn't really make
> a lot of sense. The AMD64 system doesn't have any installer work done
> for it at all--I think it's not far off, but to the best of my
> knowledge nobody has built a CDROM that boots the 64-bit kernel and

I did boot nix with the new boot loaders from a CD image, so that part
worked. Erik is using a different boot loader I think, but it probably works too
(it boot in 32 bit mode after all...).

After booting the kernel, as Erik says, it should not be too hard.

For ARM Richard Miller is doing an excellent work with his prerrolled
Plan 9 images for the raspberry pi, so that is probably the way to go.

@ 2013-01-03 22:43           ` Gorka Guardiola
From: Gorka Guardiola @ 2013-01-03 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> (it boot in 32 bit mode after all...).

Actually 16 bit mode...

* Re: [9fans] build iso's plan9 for amd64, atom, arm, powerpc
@ 2013-01-03 23:13           ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2013-01-03 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: paurea, 9fans

> On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 9:11 PM, John Floren <john@jfloren.net> wrote:
> > What I think people are trying to say is that this doesn't really make
> > a lot of sense. The AMD64 system doesn't have any installer work done
> > for it at all--I think it's not far off, but to the best of my
> > knowledge nobody has built a CDROM that boots the 64-bit kernel and

the 9atom cd boots to 32-bits, but the 64-bit kernels are right there.
it should be no problem if you have a 64-bit capable machine to boot
into a 64-bit kernel after compiling /sys/src.

the reason i don't boot directly to 64-bits is because that's probablly
a lot of busy work without a lot of benefit.  also all 64-bit intel run
32-bit kernels, but not vice-versa.

> I did boot nix with the new boot loaders from a CD image, so that part
> worked. Erik is using a different boot loader I think, but it probably works too
> (it boot in 32 bit mode after all...).

yes, iplpxe which really is a slight reworking of cinap's work.
while it starts in 16-bit mode, it does all of its work in  32-bit
segmented mode.  (that is, paging is off.)

it has the ability to boot 64-bit, pae or po32b.  (plain old 32-bit.)
the main requirement to boot 64-bit it to accept S_MAGIC.

(i am still using ye olde 9load-e820 on the cd.  this is laziness.
it can also boot a 64-bit kernel, though.  but it does not have
boot menus.)

> After booting the kernel, as Erik says, it should not be too hard.
>
> For ARM Richard Miller is doing an excellent work with his prerrolled
> Plan 9 images for the raspberry pi, so that is probably the way to go.

9atom2 includes rpi.  install on a 32- or 64-bit intel, and
	cd /sys/src;
	objtype=arm mk install

- erik