* Re: [9fans] CJK Support
@ 2003-12-06 12:20 ` Moroo Jun
From: Moroo Jun @ 2003-12-06 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On 2003/12/07, at 3:31, mrgongxun@hotmail.com wrote:

> Can I input CJK characters? There should be japanese ones. But I can
> speak no japannese. Or are there some hints writeing(sorry wti, oh no,
> writing) a input method?

try ktrans
http://basalt.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp/plan9_doc/s39.html

Is it works on Release 4?

* Re: [9fans] CJK Support
@ 2003-12-06 15:16 ` mirtchov
From: mirtchov @ 2003-12-06 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

if you're looking at entering just a few foreign chars man 6 keyboard
(how to type characters)

cat /lib/keyboard for desctiptions of compound chars translations.

andrey

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3620 bytes --]

From: mrgongxun@hotmail.com
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] CJK Support
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 02:31:51 +0800

@ 2003-12-06 17:09   ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2003-12-06 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> if you're looking at entering just a few foreign chars man 6 keyboard
> (how to type characters)

that does not address the problem.

while everyone's 'amused to death' and writing drivers for whacko h/w i'd
like to be able to type characters on small n number of keyboards (where
n > 1).

this is an essential part of any install process -- all the world is not CONUS
qwerty.  internationaliSation is hard and plan 9 does it badly.  yup, so we got
Runes [for all those Zep fans out there] but for the people who have never
seen a CONUS qwerty keyboard it's gonna be tricky.  even if you have used
one it's still hard.

if you can't install it, well, it's not gonna be used.  it doesn't matter how
good
the ideas are or the technology is.  if you can't install it (or give up in
disgust),
well it's not gonna be used.

btw: this is limited to roman alphabets -- no, this is wrong, it's limited to
the
case that when you hit a key it should produce the same character that is
marked on the keytop [russian reminded me of this];  japanese and chinese
pose a real nightmare.  i've seen how the japanese address the problem
and it's a real mess.  however, with touch screens, mouse pads, etc and
character recognition you could write it, but it's impractical for coding and
installation.

bbtw: The knights rush into a cave, huffing and puffing, to take cover from the
vicious onslaught of the Killer Rabbit.
Arthur: RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!!
Bedevere: Okay, how many did we lose?
Arthur: Well...Gawain...Ector...and Bors. That's five.
Bedevere: Three, Sire!
Arthur: Three. And we can't risk another try, that rabbit's dynamite!
All: Hmmmm..
Robin: Maybe if we attack it, it will get confused, and make a mistake!

(pause)
Arthur: Like what?
(longer pause)
Robin: Ummmm....
Lancelot: Have we got bows?
Arthur: (quickly) No.
Galahad: (brightly) We *have* the Holy Hand Grenade, Sir!
Arthur: Of course! 'Tis one of the sacred relics that Brother Maynard carries
with him! Brother Maynard! Bring out the Holy Hand Grenade!
Monks: (Chant) Die Jesu domine,
Dona eis requiem.
Die Jesu domine,
Dona eis requiem.

(Pause. Arthur examines the hand grenade, turning it over in his hands.) Arthur:
How does it....How does it work?
High Priest: I know not, my leige.
Arthur: Consult the book of Armaments!
High Priest: Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:
Brother Maynard: And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high
saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it
smash our enemies to tiny bits."
And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the
lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and
lima bean-
High Priest: Skip a bit, brother.
Brother Maynard: And then the Lord spake, saying:
"First, shalt thou take out the holy pin.
Then shalt thou count to three.
No more, no less.
*Three* shall be the number of the counting, and the number
of the counting shall be three.
*Four* shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two,
excepting that thou then goest on to three.
Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third
number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade
to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff
it. Amen.
All: Amen.
Arthur: Right! (pulls pin)
One!
Two!
Five!
Bedevere: Three, Sire!!
Arthur: Three! (throws hand grenade at the Killer Rabbit)

(holy music)
KABOOM.

* [9fans] CJK Support
@ 2003-12-06 18:31 mrgongxun
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: mrgongxun @ 2003-12-06 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2003-12-08  1:36   ` okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2003-12-08  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> try ktrans
> http://basalt.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp/plan9_doc/s39.html
>
> Is it works on Release 4?

Yes, I'm using it now.

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] CJK Support
@ 2003-12-08  1:41 ` okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2003-12-08  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Can I input CJK characters? There should be japanese ones. But I can speak no japannese. Or are there some hints writeing(sorry wti, oh no, writing) a input method?

I don't think Chinese(C) Japanese(J) and Koean(K) should be called
in one group, because those three are quite different language each
other.   I can read some of Hanji written by Chinese in a way of Japanese
translated, however, many of modern Chinese Hanji different from
Kanji we are using.   For Korean character, I have no idea even those
could be read somehow.  So, please don't deal those three languages
in a group.

Kenji

* RE: [9fans] CJK Support
@ 2003-12-08  9:51 Tiit Lankots
From: Tiit Lankots @ 2003-12-08  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I don't think Chinese(C) Japanese(J) and Koean(K) should be called
>  So, please don't deal those three languages
> in a group.

I think what he meant was 'characters from the Unicode CJK Unified Ideographs block(s)'.
I cannot say if kanji equals jiantizi/fantizi in real life usage;
my japanese is not good enough to quote Koujien.

Tiit