* [9fans] Plan 9 on ESX?
@ 2012-03-27 21:30 David Leimbach
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: David Leimbach @ 2012-03-27 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Anyone doing this?  I've had a crazy, no ZANY, notion of running ESX as my
host OS, then spinning up all the various windows, freebsd, or Plan 9's
that I need as necessary on my work workstation.

Dave

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 on ESX?
@ 2012-03-28  4:22 Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2012-03-28  4:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Anyone doing this?  I've had a crazy, no ZANY, notion of running ESX as my
> host OS, then spinning up all the various windows, freebsd, or Plan 9's
> that I need as necessary on my work workstation.

I have an ESX based server at home, but it's too noisy (nothing to do
with ESX, of course) to run continuously, right now.  I have plans to
fix that.

I have another ESX server running as a production server at a hosting
site.

Not a workstation, of course.  And for some reason I can't run two
NetBSD instances on the home server where I tried it.  Might be
something I don't understand.  No Windows, that would be no good on a
server in my case.

I don't know, ESX seems really good, but it has its drawbacks.
Needing a Windows console to manage it might be the greatest of these
in a workstation situation.

++L

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 on ESX?
@ 2012-03-28  4:27 Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2012-03-28  4:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I sort of half tried on one of the dev. ESX boxes at work -- probably
> three or four year ago, got it as far as hanging part way through the
> install CD boot sequence and then someone said "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?"
> and I quickly pretended it was a work-oriented linux box and removed
> it shortly afterwards.

Plan 9 fails if it thinks there's a CD-ROM in its VM. Something in
VMware confuses it and no one has looked deep enough to fix it.  It
works extremely well in many other respects.

I know I can blow the NetBSD VM by feeding it too much FTP traffic
(I'm stuck in a NetBSD 3.1 time warp, so fixing it is just not about
to happen), I don't use the Plan 9 server frequently enough to know
how robust it is.  So far there have been no problems.

++L

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 on ESX?
@ 2012-03-28  4:29 Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2012-03-28  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> (works fine
> with realemu)

Thanks, Cinap, that's very reassuring.

9front under ESX (VMware player in your case)?

++L

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 on ESX?
@ 2012-03-28  4:46 Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2012-03-28  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> that sounds familiar.  the ide interface had a bogus check for a bit
> that's not valid in atapi.

Is that now fixed in the release distribution?  Or only in 9atom?

++L

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 on ESX?
@ 2012-03-28  5:11 erik quanstrom
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: erik quanstrom @ 2012-03-28  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lucio, 9fans

> I don't know, ESX seems really good, but it has its drawbacks.

like conceptually being a much bigger moving part than running
a server for the purpose.  seriously, you can have an atom server
for less than the cost of an esx license.

having no other need for esx, of course.

- erik