* RE: RE: RE: [9fans] boot error walking
@ 2004-02-13 14:55 Tiit Lankots
From: Tiit Lankots @ 2004-02-13 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> according to the wiki.  But also according to the wiki the
> menu bootfile in plan9.ini is:

ahem...the wiki seems to be out of date... <nervous giggle/>

> bootfile:sdC0!9fat!9pcauth

yes.
note that you'll have to copy the kernel over there by hand.
andrey already posted the commands necessary.

* RE: RE: RE: [9fans] boot error walking
@ 2004-02-13 15:23 Tiit Lankots
From: Tiit Lankots @ 2004-02-13 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> The wiki is always out of date.  As far as I can tell
> it is a 'fire and forget' document.  Read it with a grain
> of salt.

WORO: write once, read once

* RE: RE: RE: [9fans] boot error walking
@ 2004-02-13 15:20 Tiit Lankots
From: Tiit Lankots @ 2004-02-13 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> The wiki is always out of date.  As far as I can tell
> it is a 'fire and forget' document.  Read it with a grain
> of salt.

i updated the 'Configuring a standalone CPU server' page
to be somewhat closer to reality.

* Re: RE: RE: [9fans] boot error walking
@ 2004-02-13 15:14   ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2004-02-13 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004, David Presotto wrote:

> Perhaps the confusion is that we now use fossil as the default file
> system and people are expecting 9load to load kernels from it due to kfs
> instructions in the wiki?

yeah.

ron

* Re: RE: RE: [9fans] boot error walking
@ 2004-02-13 15:06 ` David Presotto
From: David Presotto @ 2004-02-13 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

If you are using fossil, use

sdC0!9fat!9pccpuf

with the right file in 9fat.  I can find no ability in
9load to get a kernel from a fossil partition.  There
does still seem to be an ability to boot from a kfs
partition calles 'fs'.  9load does not seem to have
forgotten how to do that.

Perhaps the confusion is that we now use fossil as the
default file system and people are expecting 9load to
load kernels from it due to kfs instructions in the
wiki?

The wiki is always out of date.  As far as I can tell
it is a 'fire and forget' document.  Read it with a grain
of salt.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 10047 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #2.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 535 bytes --]

Well if kfs is dead, long live fossil!  I'll reinstall with the fossil filesystem.  The bootfile in plan9.ini will now be:

bootfile:sdC0!fs!9pcauth

according to the wiki.  But also according to the wiki the menu bootfile in plan9.ini is:

bootfile:sdC0!9fat!9pcauth

Is this right?

And thanks,
Brian

From: "Tiit Lankots" <t.lankots@aprote.ee>
To: <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 15:07:01 +0200

> partition sdC0!fs does not contain a dos filesystem

9load used to know about kfs, but apparently not anymore.
kfs is officially dead.
you'll have to copy the kernel over into 9fat and change the plan9.ini to read
	bootfile=sdC0!9fat!9pcauth
(note the lack of path, just bare filename)

> I'm using kfs not fossil.

i guessed that from kernel's name

* Re: RE: RE: [9fans] boot error walking
@ 2004-02-13 14:49 Herbert B. Hancock

From: "Tiit Lankots" <t.lankots@aprote.ee>
To: <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 15:07:01 +0200

@ 2004-02-13 14:09 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-02-13 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

the bootfile argument is just a  prompt telling 9load where to look
for a kernel.

the first item is the disk -- sdC0 is correct since you have only one
disk, and it's IDE.  if you had a second or were booting from cdrom it
could be sdC1 or sdD0.

the second is the partition on the disk (out of the plan9 slice) -- in
a kfs installation the main partition is called 'fs', in fossil it's
'fossil'.  the small-ish dos partition holding the kernels is 9fat.
since 9load doesn't know about fossil at all and it seems like it has
no idea of kfs, your safest bet is to continue using 9fat and just
copy your freshly compiled kernels there.

the third one is the path to the kernel.  in Plan 9 kernels are put by
default in /386 (ls that dir and you'll see them there).

so, the menu entry should be sdC0!9fat!9pcauth...

andrey