* [9fans] Octopus installation on Plan9
@ 2008-07-08 11:22 Christian Kellermann
From: Christian Kellermann @ 2008-07-08 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Dear List,

I am in the process of installing an Octopus PC on plan9. Following
the INSTALL.Octopus instructions I have

- downloaded the o.zip to /usr/octopus
- unzipped the file there
- On a plan I then run rc ./usr/octopus/lib/Install.Plan9.rc which
starts asking for network setup and a PC password

After accepting the password change the script prints:
sh: /usr/octopus/lib/setup.sh: file does not exist

How am I supposed to proceed from here?  In earlier attempts I
managed to get further where the script shows me an rc script to
start octopus but then the files /dis/o/pcrc seem to miss the
executable flag set which results in broken startups scripts.
(nameservice and more).

Where is my mistake?

Thanks,

Christian

--
You may use my gpg key for replies:
pub  1024D/47F79788 2005/02/02 Christian Kellermann (C-Keen)

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 202 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] Octopus installation on Plan9
@ 2008-07-08 15:26 ` Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2008-07-08 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Has the setup.sh execute permissions?
Is /usr/octopus unpacked correctly under inferno, so that
it might be something like /usr/inferno/usr/octopus on the
Plan 9 system?

I think all the problem is that the files are being extracted
without execute permissions. This did not happen when we
used tar instead of zip. Anyway, you can either give the
execute permissions to /dis/... yourself or wait a little until
I fix the install script to make sure this does not happen again.

@ 2008-07-08 15:35   ` Christian Kellermann
From: Christian Kellermann @ 2008-07-08 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* Francisco J Ballesteros <nemo@lsub.org> [080708 17:30]:
> Has the setup.sh execute permissions?
> Is /usr/octopus unpacked correctly under inferno, so that
> it might be something like /usr/inferno/usr/octopus on the
> Plan 9 system?
>
> I think all the problem is that the files are being extracted
> without execute permissions. This did not happen when we
> used tar instead of zip. Anyway, you can either give the
> execute permissions to /dis/... yourself or wait a little until
> I fix the install script to make sure this does not happen again.

Thanks for your help. Just to make sure we are both talking about
the same thing:

I create a /usr/octopus on plan9, unzip the o.zip there which already
contains inferno and a octopus inferno user in ./usr/octopus.  I
need to chmod +x the files in /dis/* also somewhere else?

Kind regards,

Christian

--

@ 2008-07-08 15:41     ` Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2008-07-08 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

probably just /dis/* and /dis/*/*
It would be safe to add usr/octopus/lib/*.{sh, rc}

I'll try to reproduce what's happening to you here and fix
the install.

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 5:35 PM, Christian Kellermann

@ 2008-07-08 18:15       ` Tony Lainson
From: Tony Lainson @ 2008-07-08 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I need to chmod +x the files in /dis/* also somewhere else?

I just switched to using the .iso when I noticed that the unzipped
tree didn't have the right permissions.

Sorry I didn't get around to reporting it.

grai

* Re: [9fans] Octopus installation on Plan9
@ 2008-07-08 22:46         ` Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2008-07-08 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

It was a good thing that you noticed the zip has permission problems.

thanks