* Re: [9fans] Writing device drivers
@ 2006-04-19  3:10 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-04-19  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

am i missing something?  is this a poor piece of hardware?

- erik

@ 2006-04-17  0:31 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-04-17  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

it looks like all the code for aic-7xxx is in the linux kernel tree,
including an assembler.

does anybody know what processor it uses?

- erik

@ 2006-04-17  0:11 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-04-17  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i'm missing part of this.

@ 2006-04-16  1:02 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-04-16  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

eh?  how would that be like emacs?  apl, fortran, pl/1,
ada, pascal and .el files can all be compiled.  that doesn't make
ada and fortran that similar.

for that matter, rc compiles stuff then executes it.  it
just doesn't ever output it's bytecode.

also, pretty much every concept in computer science can
be found in emacs.  just not brevity.

- erik

@ 2006-04-15 23:34 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-04-15 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i didn't see it at all.
and haven't looked at fgb's port of mozilla's js yet.

what i was thinking of is probablly a little different.
i was thinking of writing a javascript to bytecode compiler --
think rc split into a compiler and an execution unit.
most likely it was just another in a long list of hairbrained ideas.

- erik

On Sat Apr 15 18:19:22 CDT 2006, 9nut@9netics.com wrote:
> i was going to suggest it and was looking for
> what i thought i saw.  after a couple of searches
> i figured i must have imagined it.

[etc]

@ 2006-04-15 15:26 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-04-15 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

this isn't a list of neat little projects.
most of these are very time consuming and/or difficult.
(allowing win to set the scratch flag notwithstanding.)

one project not on the list i've been talking a look at is
javascript.  but holy phd-dissertations, batman.  implementing
js looks to be about as much code as cc+libc.  it's astonishing
that it was implemented to be simple and easy for non-professionals.

then there's the fact that the language is as goofy as it gets.
here's an example from the ecma-262 documentation, page 87:

	[these] produce the same result:

		new Function("a", "b", "c", "return a+b+c")
		new Function("a, b, c", "return a+b+c")
		new Function("a, b", "c", "return a+b+c")

they also go on for a page and a half on the special rules
for free ';'s.

- erik

@ 2006-04-14  3:20 Eric Smith
From: Eric Smith @ 2006-04-14  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)