* Re: [9fans] How to change UserID/Group to edit files in /lib/ndb?
@ 2005-08-03 12:47 Retzki, Sascha [Xplain]
From: Retzki, Sascha [Xplain] @ 2005-08-03 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

This page contains information you may want, too:
http://cm.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/setting_up_fossil/index.html
The thing about the -AWP switch may interest you.

2005/8/3, Christian Walther <cptsalek@gmail.com>:
Hi list,

this question is rather easy, compared to the topics discussed
otherwise. But I'm new to Plan 9, I managed to install one of my PC
boxes successfully. Right now, I'm stuck with the networks
configuration: I know what I have to change, but not how. Files inside
/lib/ndb belong to sys:sys, and I don't know how to change my users
data, or wich user to use to edit these files.

So, any help is very welcome. :)

Bye,
Christian Walther

* RE: [9fans] How to change UserID/Group to edit files in /lib/ndb?
@ 2005-08-08 15:42 Retzki, Sascha [Xplain]
From: Retzki, Sascha [Xplain] @ 2005-08-08 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
From: Christian Walther @ 2005-08-08 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi Fans,

thank you for all your answers. I did as Russ suggested and now
everything works fine. My next task will be to go through all the
documents found in the wiki, but I have to admit that this is a rather
painfull task for a newbie. I'm to Unix and as such I'm used to read
manpages and other sources of information. But it's sometimes
difficult to locate the piece of information needed to perform a
certain task, especially if one doesn't know how to perform a certain
task.
I read some of the papers found on Plan 9s website, but it's just
theory as long as one doesn't really work with/on a system.

Because of this, my idea would be to extend the information in the
Wiki to some sort of "First steps with Plan 9" document. This is not
only about basic information but about "best practices", too. There
are several ways of performing a certain task most of the time, but it
needs some experience to figure out which way is the best. When this
experience is provided by long term Plan 9 users, this can give
newbies an impression how to work with it.

Please don't get me wrong: I'm not asking for a step by step manual
describing to me everything I need to know (something like "Plan 9 for
dummies"), I don't bother reading manpages and manuals, it was just an
idea of how to improve things. (Somehow I feel I'm missing the point,
but I hope you'll understand what I mean anyway.)
I would be happy to help here, but before I need to get more into Plan
9. I'm keeping track of my progress and problems on my weblog:
http://cptsalek.de

Bye,
Christian

* Re: [9fans] How to change UserID/Group to edit files in /lib/ndb?
@ 2005-08-03 20:02       ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-08-03 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andrey mirtchovski; +Cc: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> > and then you can edit all the system files you want.
>
> there are a few files in /sys/src that are not group writable. i'll send you
> a list of those files in a separate email.

thanks, fixed.  once you're in sys, of course, you can
chmod them yourself, since the directories are okay.

russ

* Re: [9fans] How to change UserID/Group to edit files in /lib/ndb?
@ 2005-08-03 19:39     ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2005-08-03 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russ Cox, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2005-08-03 16:33   ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-08-03 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

For what it's worth, at Bell Labs we never use -AWP.
Instead we add people (once) to group sys:

   uname sys +you

and then you can edit all the system files you want.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] How to change UserID/Group to edit files in /lib/ndb?
@ 2005-08-03 16:26 ` Robert Raschke
From: Robert Raschke @ 2005-08-03 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cptsalek, 9fans

Hello Christian,

I usually do this on my cpu/auth/venti/fossil console:

% con -l /srv/fscons
main: srv -AWP fsAWP
<ctrl-\>+q to exit this

and then

% mount /srv/fsAWP /n/fossil
% cd /n/fossil/lib/ndb

and edit to your hearts content.

I don't usually run rio on my console, so I've become reasonably proficient in ed ;-)
But you can start rio and then use sam or acme, which can make lots of editing a lot
easier.

Robby

* Re: [9fans] How to change UserID/Group to edit files in /lib/ndb?
@ 2005-08-03 12:06 ` Gabriel Diaz
From: Gabriel Diaz @ 2005-08-03 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi

I think you should take a look to the wiki pages, there there is a topic
about users and filesystems iirc.

see man fossilcons for information as well.

gabi

@ 2005-08-03 11:39 Christian Walther