* [9fans] sam resizing
@ 2013-10-21 20:18 Mark van Atten
From: Mark van Atten @ 2013-10-21 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I would find it useful if a sam window resize could be undone one
step, i.e. resize the window again to its size and position before the
last resize. Perhaps by clicking B1, just as clicking B3 enlarges it.

That would help keeping windows arranged a bit while enlarging one
after the other as I see fit for my work.

One can of course do without the visual clue of such an arrangement
and rely on just the file list in the menu. When there are many files,
there is no choice, and that works well enough. But when working on
only a handful, it might be convenient to have this additional
possibility by just one click.

Have people experimented with this, or at least entertained the same wish?

Mark.

* Re: [9fans] sam resizing
@ 2013-10-22  6:13 ` Ingo Krabbe
From: Ingo Krabbe @ 2013-10-22  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hey Mark,

as you wrote, sam window configuration depends on the situation. But for me its not the number of files that changes the resize options, but the base size of the whole sam workspace.

If it's big enough, its resonable to resize the ~~sam~~ command window to an upper left rectangle (view this mail with fixed font):

    +----------------------------------+
    !  ~~sam~~          !              !
    !                   !       a1     !
    +-------------------+--------------+
    !                   !              !
    !      a2           !       a3     !
    !                   !              !
    +-------------------+--------------+

If you resize your windows by clicking(B3) in area a1 your window will resize to a1+a3.
If you choose a2 the window goes to a2+a3 and if you choose a3 the window covers a3 only.

You can even place the ~~sam~~ window somewhere in the middle, to have eight different auto-resize-options. But that window configuration is a bit academic.

But its quite easy to start a manual window resize at the lower right edge of ~~sam~~ and drag towards the lower left edge, so that a window covers a2 only.

I think these resize options and window layout is quite good to work with even in quite complex situations and zerox buffers.

cheers,

ingo

On Mon Oct 21 22:18:54 CES 2013, vanattenmark@gmail.com wrote:
> I would find it useful if a sam window resize could be undone one
> step, i.e. resize the window again to its size and position before the
> last resize. Perhaps by clicking B1, just as clicking B3 enlarges it.
>
> That would help keeping windows arranged a bit while enlarging one
> after the other as I see fit for my work.
>
> One can of course do without the visual clue of such an arrangement
> and rely on just the file list in the menu. When there are many files,
> there is no choice, and that works well enough. But when working on
> only a handful, it might be convenient to have this additional
> possibility by just one click.
>
> Have people experimented with this, or at least entertained the same wish?
>
> Mark.

* Re: [9fans] sam resizing
@ 2013-10-22  6:19   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2013-10-22  6:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> as you wrote, sam window configuration depends on the situation.  But
> for me its not the number of files that changes the resize options,
> but the base size of the whole sam workspace.
[...]

so i'm wondering.  acme does a good job of auto layout.
the thing acme lacks is a edit buffer (~~sam~~).  so maybe
it would be fruitful to add edit buffer(s) to acme?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] sam resizing
@ 2013-10-22  6:30     ` Ingo Krabbe
From: Ingo Krabbe @ 2013-10-22  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue Oct 22 08:19:47 CES 2013, quanstro@quanstro.net wrote:
> so i'm wondering.  acme does a good job of auto layout.
> the thing acme lacks is a edit buffer (~~sam~~).  so maybe
> it would be fruitful to add edit buffer(s) to acme?
>
> - erik

I don't think its good to compare acme and sam as the approaches are quite different and both tools are useful.
Actually I use acme sometimes as a file browser or remote command windowBut when I work on source code I don't like, for example, that my mouse cursor in acme needs to float over the window I type in.

cheers,

ingo

* Re: [9fans] sam resizing
@ 2013-10-22  7:13       ` Mark van Atten
From: Mark van Atten @ 2013-10-22  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Thanks for the comments!

My screen is large, and I use the space the way Ingo describes,
putting the edit buffer in the top left corner. But I'd be interested
to have the extra option for a while and see if I do find this as
useful as it now seems; when I find the time, I may be able to find
out how to do this.

As for acme, I agree that its auto layout works well. In particular I
like how you can make the window you are concentrating on take up the
whole column and restore that column's stack of windows afterward.
Although the window you enlarged ends up on top, and not necessarily
in its original position,  in acme that is far less important than it
might be in sam. (And in cases where one cares sufficiently about
fixed places one can always B2 on Sort.)

An edit buffer in acme would be very interesting to experiment with.

Mark.

* Re: [9fans] sam resizing
@ 2013-10-23  4:00       ` BurnZeZ
From: BurnZeZ @ 2013-10-23  4:00 UTC (permalink / raw)