From: Gabriel Diaz <gdiaz@9grid.es>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] localization
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 19:08:27 +0200	[thread overview]

Hello

We install operating systems in English. Spanish / Catalan localized
systems are a source of problems like:

* error messages do not reflect was going on in Spanish but it does in
English, and in some cases it can mislead the user, jumping to a
wrong conclusion
* translations are often outdated, referring to things not present in
the system anymore
* applications do not always use the localization engine of the
system, so you end with multiple languages and localization
implementations, grep-ing though a localized log file is painfull if
you must deal with more than one language (and can lead you to use
error codes)
* jargon is usually translated and used in strange way at best, also
the 'false friends' words are difficult to handle in an automated way

I would prefer to have a system completely in English but polished,
instead of a badly or half translated system.

"La memoria no se puede 'written'" is a common windows error, which
shows the kind of problems they found.

slds.

gabi