* [9fans] Additional compilers under 9vx.OSX
@ 2011-04-07 13:34 Greg Comeau
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Greg Comeau @ 2011-04-07 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

We have an Intel based OS X 10.4.11 running 9vx.OSX 0.12
Two questions:

1) If it is upgraded to latest version of Snow Leopard (I think 10.6.3?),
   will anything regarding 9vx.OSX break?  Also, forward looking,
   what about with beta for the next OS X which I understand will be
   released this summer?

2) If I recall as it was installed a while ago it came with 8c/8l and
   respective includes/libs already available.  However, things like
   5c and its requirements do not seem to be available by default.
   What's the easiest way to get the binaries and end-user install tree
   for the additional compilers ("packaged" files of each compiler
   would be best)?
--
Greg Comeau / 4.3.10.1 with C++0xisms now in beta!
Comeau C/C++ ONLINE ==>     http://www.comeaucomputing.com/tryitout

* Re: [9fans] Additional compilers under 9vx.OSX
@ 2011-04-07 13:47 ` erik quanstrom
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: erik quanstrom @ 2011-04-07 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comeau, 9fans

> 2) If I recall as it was installed a while ago it came with 8c/8l and
>    respective includes/libs already available.  However, things like
>    5c and its requirements do not seem to be available by default.
>    What's the easiest way to get the binaries and end-user install tree
>    for the additional compilers ("packaged" files of each compiler
>    would be best)?

the way to do this is
	cd /sys/src; objtype=arm mk && mk clean

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Additional compilers under 9vx.OSX
@ 2011-04-07 14:10 ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2011-04-07 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comeau, 9fans

> 1) If it is upgraded to latest version of Snow Leopard (I think 10.6.3?),
>    will anything regarding 9vx.OSX break?

As far as I can tell, 9vx works fine on MacOSX 10.6.7.

* Re: [9fans] Additional compilers under 9vx.OSX
@ 2011-04-07 14:30 ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2011-04-07 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comeau, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Apr 7, 2011, at 1:34 PM, comeau@panix.com (Greg Comeau) wrote:
> 2) If I recall as it was installed a while ago it came with 8c/8l and
>   respective includes/libs already available.  However, things like
>   5c and its requirements do not seem to be available by default.
>   What's the easiest way to get the binaries and end-user install tree
>   for the additional compilers ("packaged" files of each compiler
>   would be best)?
Copy (or bind) the latest /sys to 9vx's /sys and mk everything and
install.

* Re: [9fans] Additional compilers under 9vx.OSX
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-04-07 15:38 ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2011-04-07 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comeau, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs; +Cc: Greg Comeau

I regularly build kernels and full bins for arm on 9vx. the biggest
issue with osx is when you install 9vx on a case-insenstive file
system: things like /bin/Kill and /bin/kill don't quite work out.

ron

* Re: [9fans] Additional compilers under 9vx.OSX
@ 2011-04-07 15:45   ` Paul Lalonde
                       ` (3 more replies)
From: Paul Lalonde @ 2011-04-07 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Fortunately you can build a case-insensitive file system on a mac, within a
file.  Disk Utility lets you make a filesystem in a file, and you can click
"case-sensitive".  Big win, and though you have to size the FS ahead, it's
also nice to have my 9vx install all in one disk file for moving to other
machines.

Paul

--
I'm migrating my email.  plalonde@telus.net will soon be disconnected.
 Please use paul.a.lalonde@gmail.com from now on.

* Re: [9fans] Additional compilers under 9vx.OSX
@ 2011-04-07 15:46     ` Paul Lalonde
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Paul Lalonde @ 2011-04-07 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

1s/case-insensitive/case-sensitive/

@ 2011-04-07 15:51     ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2011-04-07 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 8:45 AM, Paul Lalonde <paul.a.lalonde@gmail.com> wrote:
> Fortunately you can build a case-insensitive file system on a mac, within a
> file.  Disk Utility lets you make a filesystem in a file, and you can click
> "case-sensitive".  Big win, and though you have to size the FS ahead, it's
> also nice to have my 9vx install all in one disk file for moving to other
> machines.

Yep, this is a good answer. As long as it is case-sensitive :-)

What size did you use? What file system -- just HFS with case-sensitive?

Also, I have used my mac to host gumstix nodes, works great, save for
one mystery, which is always the question of auth. We're going to work
on that I hope at the next BAP9UG meeting on April 15, probably in
livermore, who knows where.

ron

* Re: [9fans] Additional compilers under 9vx.OSX
@ 2011-04-07 17:13     ` Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2011-04-07 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Apr 7, 2011, at 11:45, Paul Lalonde wrote:

> Fortunately you can build a case-insensitive file system on a mac, within a file.

Just in case this wasn't obvious, you can do this with the real, on-disk filesystem, too. There's no "upgrading" an existing FS, so this is most practical when getting a new box, but it's the first thing I do to a new Mac (it's nice for reasons other than just 9vx). I know several other people who do the same. The only reported problems are MS Office and a few games ported (poorly) from Windows.

(Er, and the OS X AoE driver, initially, but the maker has fixed that)

* Re: [9fans] Additional compilers under 9vx.OSX
@ 2011-04-07 18:06       ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2011-04-07 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 10:13 AM, Anthony Sorace <a@9srv.net> wrote:
> On Apr 7, 2011, at 11:45, Paul Lalonde wrote:
>
>> Fortunately you can build a case-insensitive file system on a mac, within a file.
>
> Just in case this wasn't obvious, you can do this with the real, on-disk filesystem, too. There's no "upgrading" an existing FS, so this is most practical when getting a new box, but it's the first thing I do to a new Mac (it's nice for reasons other than just 9vx). I know several other people who do the same. The only reported problems are MS Office and a few games ported (poorly) from Windows.
>
> (Er, and the OS X AoE driver, initially, but the maker has fixed that)

I considered making the osx root case-sensitive but found too many
"don't do this" stories on the web, in particular concerning MS
office. I hate it but I have to have a working MS office to get along
with corporate.

ron

* Re: [9fans] Additional compilers under 9vx.OSX
@ 2011-04-07 19:04       ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2011-04-07 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

would a better solution be a modification to 9vx to allow it to generate virtual
disks in a file. Then you could start fossil/kfs/cwfs/pacfs/other in plan9 and
have the same functionality and the ability to have the filesystem work exactly
like plan9 - permissions, dates, append only files etc.

just and idea

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] Additional compilers under 9vx.OSX
@ 2011-04-07 19:11         ` Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2011-04-07 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> would a better solution be a modification to 9vx to allow it to generate virtual
> disks in a file. Then you could start fossil/kfs/cwfs/pacfs/other in plan9 and
> have the same functionality and the ability to have the filesystem work exactly
> like plan9 - permissions, dates, append only files etc.
>
> just and idea
>
> -Steve

I've not set this up myself, but yiyus posted a howto for setting up 9vx
with a kfs partition in a file:

	http://9fans.net/archive/2010/10/14

-sl

@ 2011-04-08  9:09     ` roger peppe
From: roger peppe @ 2011-04-08  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

i'm not keen on disks within disks because you either have to waste
lots of space or risk running out of it.

@ 2011-04-08 12:26       ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2011-04-08 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri Apr  8 05:10:49 EDT 2011, rogpeppe@gmail.com wrote:
> i'm not keen on disks within disks because you either have to waste
> lots of space or risk running out of it.

true, but ...

is disk space your most constrained resource?
is a free byte on disk wasted or not?

i bought the smallest practical disks to use in
a raid5, and still have this ratio of used to free

		wmax   =  1787567           0+ 0%
		wsize  = 183143631           1+ 0%

so plan 9 has really miniscule requirements.  and
both venti and cwfs can add storage on an add-needed basis.
so you don't need to "waste" more than a 1gb at a time.
(probablly <= 1/4 the amount of ram you have in your
machine :-)

i'd probablly just devote 32gb to the 9vx and be done
with it.  it's taken me 7 years to fill up the first 13.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Additional compilers under 9vx.OSX
@ 2011-04-11  9:18   ` Greg Comeau
From: Greg Comeau @ 2011-04-11  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In article <784be5fe9a0079d80a76434d252dd074@coraid.com>,
erik quanstrom <quanstro@labs.coraid.com> wrote:
>> 2) If I recall as it was installed a while ago it came with 8c/8l and
>>    respective includes/libs already available.  However, things like
>>    5c and its requirements do not seem to be available by default.
>>    What's the easiest way to get the binaries and end-user install tree
>>    for the additional compilers ("packaged" files of each compiler
>>    would be best)?
>
>the way to do this is
>	cd /sys/src; objtype=arm mk && mk clean

Just getting to play with this... had to do some copying of some of
the files first among other setbacks...  ok,  plain mk asks what to make,
and so I tried 'mk all' which is saying 5c does not exist, but
that's one of the things I want it to build.

From: Greg Comeau @ 2011-04-11  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In article <90f71fcedeb5b45a5bed515862b8ab03@hamnavoe.com>,
Richard Miller <9fans@hamnavoe.com> wrote:
>> 1) If it is upgraded to latest version of Snow Leopard (I think 10.6.3?),
>>    will anything regarding 9vx.OSX break?
>
>As far as I can tell, 9vx works fine on MacOSX 10.6.7.

Great, 9vx is so convenient.

From: Greg Comeau @ 2011-04-11  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In article <BANLkTi=djiqSwgyncOJzOopvffkyBAixWw@mail.gmail.com>,
ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:
>I regularly build kernels and full bins for arm on 9vx. the biggest
>issue with osx is when you install 9vx on a case-insenstive file
>system: things like /bin/Kill and /bin/kill don't quite work out.

Thanks for the heads up, I seem to have run into this trying
to copy sys and eventually had to use a piping tar and cross
my fingers nothing got stomped on that I'm trying to (eventually) build

From: Greg Comeau @ 2011-04-11  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

As mentioned in a post yesterday, we seem to have succeeded in getting
5c et al built.  However, in resuming playing around at least one case
/bin/ape/sh is producing:

./command-name[3]: other-command-name: cannot execute - Access Denied

since doing the mk's.  Obviously something in those builds stomped
on something already existing.  Any ideas what?
--

@ 2011-04-11  9:19   ` Greg Comeau
From: Greg Comeau @ 2011-04-11  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In article <784be5fe9a0079d80a76434d252dd074@coraid.com>,
erik quanstrom <quanstro@labs.coraid.com> wrote:
>> 2) If I recall as it was installed a while ago it came with 8c/8l and
>>    respective includes/libs already available.  However, things like
>>    5c and its requirements do not seem to be available by default.
>>    What's the easiest way to get the binaries and end-user install tree
>>    for the additional compilers ("packaged" files of each compiler
>>    would be best)?
>
>the way to do this is
>	cd /sys/src; objtype=arm mk && mk clean

Ok, think I might be in order finally.  After some snooping and
Bakul's message, I see I had to do a general mk all and mk install
before doing the above.  And now many hours later I seem to get
execution of a trival 5 program via 5i.  Nothing like "rainy day"
computing, except it's not raining here today :)

Also, it does not seem that vc and qc (and perhaps some others)
follow the above procedure.  Is that right?  IOWs, for instance,
after the mk all and mk install only 1c, 2c, 5c, 7c, and 8c are
in /386/bin, but the others I don't see.
--

@ 2011-04-11  9:53     ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2011-04-11  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comeau, 9fans

>>the way to do this is
>>	cd /sys/src; objtype=arm mk && mk clean
>
> Just getting to play with this... had to do some copying of some of
> the files first among other setbacks...  ok,  plain mk asks what to make,
> and so I tried 'mk all' which is saying 5c does not exist, but
> that's one of the things I want it to build.

There's a post by Geoff Collyer a while back, when the SheevaPlug was
first introduced to Plan 9 that explains how to build the arm
toolchain before trying to build the entire system.  Along these
lines:

	cd /sys/src/cmd
	for (d in 5?) @{cd $d && mk install}

I'm not going to try that now...

++L

* Re: [9fans] Additional compilers under 9vx.OSX
@ 2011-04-11 10:44     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2011-04-11 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comeau, 9fans

> >the way to do this is
> >	cd /sys/src; objtype=arm mk && mk clean
>
> Just getting to play with this... had to do some copying of some of
> the files first among other setbacks...  ok,  plain mk asks what to make,
> and so I tried 'mk all' which is saying 5c does not exist, but
> that's one of the things I want it to build.

bad instructions.  sorry.  that should have been

	cd /sys/src/cmd; mk 5^(a l c)^.install
	cd /sys/src; objtype=arm mk install && mk clean

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Additional compilers under 9vx.OSX
@ 2011-04-11 13:26     ` Greg Comeau
From: Greg Comeau @ 2011-04-11 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In article <insdeo$km5$1@panix1.panix.com>,
Greg Comeau <comeau@comeaucomputing.com> wrote:
>As mentioned in a post yesterday, we seem to have succeeded in getting
>5c et al built.  However, in resuming playing around at least one case
>/bin/ape/sh is producing:
>
>./command-name[3]: other-command-name: cannot execute - Access Denied
>
>since doing the mk's.  Obviously something in those builds stomped
>on something already existing.  Any ideas what?

I found something similar online and did what they suggested:
cd /sys/src/ape and mk nuke and mk install, but same result as above,
even after rebooting.  ??
--

@ 2011-04-11 13:51       ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2011-04-11 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs; +Cc: 9fans, comeau

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 11, 2011, at 3:44 AM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:

>>> the way to do this is
>>>    cd /sys/src; objtype=arm mk && mk clean
>>
>> Just getting to play with this... had to do some copying of some of
>> the files first among other setbacks...  ok,  plain mk asks what to make,
>> and so I tried 'mk all' which is saying 5c does not exist, but
>> that's one of the things I want it to build.
>
> bad instructions.  sorry.  that should have been
>
>    cd /sys/src/cmd; mk 5^(a l c)^.install
>    cd /sys/src; objtype=arm mk install && mk clean
>
> - erik

I posted some on the wiki about how I got the guruplug working for me...

* Re: [9fans] Additional compilers under 9vx.OSX
@ 2011-04-12  8:51       ` Greg Comeau
From: Greg Comeau @ 2011-04-12  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In article <ec9ea766ee9a078a26ff902ed3e27e43@proxima.alt.za>,
Lucio De Re <lucio@proxima.alt.za> wrote:
>>>the way to do this is
>>>	cd /sys/src; objtype=arm mk && mk clean
>>
>> Just getting to play with this... had to do some copying of some of
>> the files first among other setbacks...  ok,  plain mk asks what to make,
>> and so I tried 'mk all' which is saying 5c does not exist, but
>> that's one of the things I want it to build.
>
>There's a post by Geoff Collyer a while back, when the SheevaPlug was
>first introduced to Plan 9 that explains how to build the arm
>toolchain before trying to build the entire system.  Along these
>lines:
>
>	cd /sys/src/cmd
>	for (d in 5?) @{cd $d && mk install}
>
>I'm not going to try that now...

I am :)  Well, actually, given the /bin/ape/sh problem,
what I'm going to try to do is try to set up an alternative
9vx.OSX install from scratch, and apply the latter above instead
of the earlier system build (or whatever it is that the other was)
and see if that helps any, unless there is thoughts that is
an exercise in futility for one reason or another?
--

@ 2011-04-12  8:51         ` Greg Comeau
From: Greg Comeau @ 2011-04-12  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In article <A260BB06-00D9-43BC-89AE-6F5B08CB3C47@gmail.com>,
David Leimbach <leimy2k@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Just getting to play with this... had to do some copying of some of
>>> the files first among other setbacks...  ok,  plain mk asks what to make,
>>> and so I tried 'mk all' which is saying 5c does not exist, but
>>> that's one of the things I want it to build.
>>
>> bad instructions.  sorry.  that should have been
>>
>>    cd /sys/src/cmd; mk 5^(a l c)^.install
>>    cd /sys/src; objtype=arm mk install && mk clean
>>
>> - erik
>>
>I posted some on the wiki about how I got the guruplug working for me...

Thanks.  I tried google'ing but don't see to be able to find
where that is.  Please advise, thanks.
--

@ 2011-04-12  9:06         ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2011-04-12  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comeau, 9fans

>>	cd /sys/src/cmd
>>	for (d in 5?) @{cd $d && mk install}
>>
>>I'm not going to try that now...
>
> I am :)  Well, actually, given the /bin/ape/sh problem,
> what I'm going to try to do is try to set up an alternative
> 9vx.OSX install from scratch, and apply the latter above instead
> of the earlier system build (or whatever it is that the other was)
> and see if that helps any, unless there is thoughts that is
> an exercise in futility for one reason or another?

I haven't ever tried it under 9vx (or did I? it's possible I've
forgotten) so YMMV.  I have done it at least twice, quite a way back.
But I guess it isn't going to break anything.  Erik's suggestion to do
the same from /sys/src/cmd may be slightly more orthodox.

++L

* Re: [9fans] Additional compilers under 9vx.OSX
@ 2011-04-12 14:07           ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2011-04-12 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comeau, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs; +Cc: 9fans

Sent from my iPhone

http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Guruplug/index.html

@ 2011-04-21  9:22   ` Greg Comeau
From: Greg Comeau @ 2011-04-21  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In article <90f71fcedeb5b45a5bed515862b8ab03@hamnavoe.com>,
Richard Miller <9fans@hamnavoe.com> wrote:
>> 1) If it is upgraded to latest version of Snow Leopard (I think 10.6.3?),
>>    will anything regarding 9vx.OSX break?
>
>As far as I can tell, 9vx works fine on MacOSX 10.6.7.

Just a note that we've since upgraded to 10.6.7 and it seems
fine with us too.
--

@ 2011-04-21  9:22       ` Greg Comeau
From: Greg Comeau @ 2011-04-21  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In article <inuqri$eqi$1@panix1.panix.com>,
Greg Comeau <comeau@comeaucomputing.com> wrote:
>In article <insdeo$km5$1@panix1.panix.com>,
>Greg Comeau <comeau@comeaucomputing.com> wrote:
>>As mentioned in a post yesterday, we seem to have succeeded in getting
>>5c et al built.  However, in resuming playing around at least one case
>>/bin/ape/sh is producing:
>>
>>./command-name[3]: other-command-name: cannot execute - Access Denied
>>
>>since doing the mk's.  Obviously something in those builds stomped
>>on something already existing.  Any ideas what?
>
>I found something similar online and did what they suggested:
>cd /sys/src/ape and mk nuke and mk install, but same result as above,
>even after rebooting.  ??

FYI & FWIW, I was able to locate binaries in the install file that
the original /386/bin/ape directory came from and so I reexpanded
it to a new directory and overrode the rebuilt one with a bind,
and all now appears well.  So instead of re-installing 9vx and/or
trying to build only the 5? commands (which I think would have worked
since it shouldn't have effected sh), I'm going to let good enough
be for now.  Will test some more, but I can only assume some sort of
versionitis came into play here.
--

@ 2011-05-04 11:39         ` Greg Comeau
From: Greg Comeau @ 2011-05-04 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In article <ionvtt$p6n$1@panix1.panix.com>,
Greg Comeau <comeau@comeaucomputing.com> wrote:
>In article <inuqri$eqi$1@panix1.panix.com>,
>Greg Comeau <comeau@comeaucomputing.com> wrote:
>>In article <insdeo$km5$1@panix1.panix.com>,
>>Greg Comeau <comeau@comeaucomputing.com> wrote:
>>>As mentioned in a post yesterday, we seem to have succeeded in getting
>>>5c et al built.  However, in resuming playing around at least one case
>>>/bin/ape/sh is producing:
>>>./command-name[3]: other-command-name: cannot execute - Access Denied
>>>
>>>since doing the mk's.  Obviously something in those builds stomped
>>>on something already existing.  Any ideas what?
>>
>>I found something similar online and did what they suggested:
>>cd /sys/src/ape and mk nuke and mk install, but same result as above,
>>even after rebooting.  ??
>
>FYI & FWIW, I was able to locate binaries in the install file that
>the original /386/bin/ape directory came from and so I reexpanded
>it to a new directory and overrode the rebuilt one with a bind,
>and all now appears well.  So instead of re-installing 9vx and/or
>trying to build only the 5? commands (which I think would have worked
>since it shouldn't have effected sh), I'm going to let good enough
>be for now.  Will test some more, but I can only assume some sort of
>versionitis came into play here.

Think this is an all time record for talking to myself :) ....

Well, famous last words.  Turns out that beyond toy programs
this just did not work:  Compiler (8c) gave errors, 9vx crashes more
than normal, and programs built did the wrong thing.  So with 9vx,
something is definitely out of sync when doing the build the original
way.  So what I had to do is reinstall 9vx from scratch, install a
9vx ape tarball I found I had around and applied to the very original
install (that got messed up) which contained 386 ape executables, as
well as pulled in some .a files, which I believe gives me back the
original 9vx system.  Don't understand why the rebuild did not
yield something without problems, but something in the piecemealing
might be an issue.

Adding 5l/5c/5i/5a as well as some arm lib's from the build though seems
ok so far, but nothing serious run yet, so I'll probably be revisiting
this part.
--

@ 2011-05-04 15:31           ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2011-05-04 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comeau, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

what's weird is I'm just not seeing any of these problems. Good fun.

ron