* [9fans] CDROM boot failed, how can i do?
@ 2003-07-30 16:31 River He
From: River He @ 2003-07-30 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: plan9

I download plan9.iso.gz, upzip it, and burn it to CDROM.
I try to boot from CDROM, but monitor display as below:

Boot form CD:
1. FD 2.88MB System Type-(0F)
PBS...Plan 9 from Bell Labs
ELCR: 0A60
apm ax=f000 cx=f000 dx=fdf9 di=0 ebx=694c esi=f03e4
dev A0 port 1F0  config 045A capabilities 2F00 mwdma 0007 udma 203F
pcirouting: South birdge 8086, 24C0 not found
Boot devices: fd0 sdC0!dos
boot from:

* Re: [9fans] CDROM boot failed, how can i do?
@ 2003-07-30 19:36   ` Jack Johnson
From: Jack Johnson @ 2003-07-30 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Andrey S. Kukhar wrote:
> Failed? No, you just prompted to select boot
> device. You should type something like this
> 	sdD0!cdboot!9pccd.gz
> where sdD0 is your CD drive.
> Then in the ``root is from'' prompt type
> 	local!#S/sdD0/data

If memory serves, this seems to be more prevalent if your CD-ROM is not
in the expected location (i.e. /dev/sdC1 vs. /dev/sdD0 or vice versa).
Entering the path manually always works, but if you happen to have
things plugged in in the "right" location, it all goes pretty smoothly.

I *think* it must expect /dev/sdC1 (primary slave), because I always
have my burner on /dev/sdD0 (secondary master -- alternate IDE
controller often provides better performance) and I think that's why I
always get bit by the boot prompt.

I had a demo(lition) box set up for a while where I just moved the
CD-ROM to keep things simple for testing, which is where I *think* I
noticed the defaults.

Could it be advantageous to change the boot menu to allow selection of
the CD-ROM location, to make it easier for newbies to
investigate/test/install?

-Jack

* Re: [9fans] CDROM boot failed, how can i do?
@ 2003-07-31  1:49 ` Andrey S. Kukhar
From: Andrey S. Kukhar @ 2003-07-31  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Failed? No, you just prompted to select boot
device. You should type something like this
	sdD0!cdboot!9pccd.gz
where sdD0 is your CD drive.
Then in the ``root is from'' prompt type
	local!#S/sdD0/data

kyxap

@ 2003-07-31  9:32     ` Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2003-07-31  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Could it be advantageous to change the boot menu to allow selection of
> the CD-ROM location, to make it easier for newbies to
> investigate/test/install?

I'd prefer to get the same name for your cd everywhere, like a /dev/cd
for the first cd unit found. I do that by hand by binding under /n.
The price for not doing so is to have some programs look at /dev/sdC1
by default and others look at /dev/sdD1 (both things are wrong, depending
on the pc you're using).

Disks don't use to have that problem, since most boxes have them attached
at sdC0, but cd units...

* Re: [9fans] CDROM boot failed, how can i do?
@ 2003-07-31  9:36       ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2003-07-31  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

    From: <9fans-admin@cse.psu.edu>

err, who is 9fans-admin?

* Re: [9fans] CDROM boot failed, how can i do?
@ 2003-07-31 11:12   ` River He
From: River He @ 2003-07-31 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

(Q1)
My harddisk is empty and not formatted, could I boot from CDROM and install it?

(Q2)
Sorry, I don't know what "sdD0!cdboot!9pccd.gz" mean?
Does "sdD0" mean second master IDE? and sdC0? and others IDE device?
What "cdboot" mean here?

(Q3)
Another question: I search my cdrom, there is a file name 9pccd.gz. But I found file 9pc.gz, 9pcdisk.gz and 9pccpu.gz, which should I use?
these file locate in directory 386. Should add directory name in boot command line like "sdD0!cdboot!/386/9pccd.gz"?

(Q4)
Where are these documents about install and hardware setting?

Thank you!

@ 2003-08-01  9:02       ` Douglas A. Gwyn
From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2003-08-01  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

"Fco.J.Ballesteros" wrote:
> Disks don't use to have that problem, since most boxes
> have them attached at sdC0, ...

Except that might not be the disk containing the desired
Plan 9 partition.

* Re: [9fans] CDROM boot failed, how can i do?
@ 2003-07-31 13:51   ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2003-07-31 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: plan9

because 9load cannot find your cdrom drive. as others suggested:

	- try switching its place -- if it's on the second ide slot move it to
	  the first, if on the first -- move it to the second
	- try it without the hard drive in
	- try a floppy disk

experiment.

the documentation is on the plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9dist web page, see
Papers, Man pages and Wiki.

       [not found] <Pine.LNX.4.33.0307310642350.15683-100000@einstein.ssz.com>
@ 2003-07-31 12:07 ` River He