* Re: [9fans] CDROM boot failed, how can i do?
       [not found] <Pine.LNX.4.33.0307310642350.15683-100000@einstein.ssz.com>
@ 2003-07-31 12:07 ` River He
From: River He @ 2003-07-31 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Choate; +Cc: plan9

Thank for your help.

I burn plan9.iso to a CDROM, when it prompt "boot form:"
I typed as below:
sdD0!cdboot!9pccd.gz
but it display:
unknown partition sdD0!cdboot
and return to
"boot from:"

why?

From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2003-07-31 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: plan9

because 9load cannot find your cdrom drive. as others suggested:

	- try switching its place -- if it's on the second ide slot move it to
	  the first, if on the first -- move it to the second
	- try it without the hard drive in
	- try a floppy disk

experiment.

the documentation is on the plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9dist web page, see
Papers, Man pages and Wiki.

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003, River He wrote:

> Thank for your help.
>
> I burn plan9.iso to a CDROM, when it prompt "boot form:"
> I typed as below:
> sdD0!cdboot!9pccd.gz
> but it display:
> unknown partition sdD0!cdboot
> and return to
> "boot from:"
>
> why?

* [9fans] Re: CDROM boot failed, how can i do?
@ 2003-07-31 23:28     ` Jim Choate
From: Jim Choate @ 2003-07-31 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: plan9; +Cc: hangar18-general

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003, andrey mirtchovski wrote:

> because 9load cannot find your cdrom drive. as others suggested:
>
> 	- try switching its place -- if it's on the second ide slot move it to
> 	  the first, if on the first -- move it to the second
> 	- try it without the hard drive in
> 	- try a floppy disk
>
> experiment.

I agree with the "experiment" part, my suggestion would be a lot more
organized with your approach than others would suggest. I'd say -never-
put your CD drive as a slave on a EIDE (or IDE for that matter), unless
you're sure you'll -never- want to boot from it. I'd suggest strongly that
if you put your CD on master and your HD on the slave and it still doesn't
see the CD drive then get another CD drive. There are some problems with
some drives (I've got a pile of about four drives that don't work). I just
replaced the drive in saucer.ssz.com with a DVD/CD burner and it worked like
a champ (the 40G drive helped a lot too).

> the documentation is on the plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9dist web page, see
> Papers, Man pages and Wiki.

As an aside, Rob and I have been working on a new install doc that makes a
lot more sense than the stuff on the Bell Labs site, too much work
scattered out over too many documents.

http://einstein.ssz.com/hangar18/Plan9Intro.txt

This doc is -not- finished so don't expect it to solve all your problems,
yet ;) However, you can expect to see new sections added at least weekly
as Rob and I get windows of op to move forward.

      We are all interested in the future for that is where you and I
      are going to spend the rest of our lives.

                              Criswell, "Plan 9 from Outer Space"

      ravage@ssz.com                            jchoate@open-forge.org
      www.ssz.com                               www.open-forge.org

* Re: [9fans] Re: CDROM boot failed, how can i do?
@ 2003-08-01  9:02       ` Douglas A. Gwyn
From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2003-08-01  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Jim Choate wrote:
> ... I'd say -never-
> put your CD drive as a slave on a EIDE (or IDE for that matter), unless
> you're sure you'll -never- want to boot from it.

There shouldn't be any problem booting from any IDE position.
There can be a significant loss of throughput if the faster
of the two devices on a slot is not the master.

I must say that the whole "PC" disk/boot/partition
situation is one of the ugliest messes I've seen in
my 40 years of computing.  *The* major contributor to
this is the rush to market with "any old solution" no
matter how short-sighted, leading to kludge upon
kludge as newer developments outgrow the older,
unnecessary, limitations of the interface designs.

* [9fans] Re: CDROM boot failed, how can i do?
@ 2003-08-01 11:37         ` Jim Choate
From: Jim Choate @ 2003-08-01 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans; +Cc: hangar18-general

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, Douglas A. Gwyn wrote:

> Jim Choate wrote:
> > ... I'd say -never-
> > put your CD drive as a slave on a EIDE (or IDE for that matter), unless
> > you're sure you'll -never- want to boot from it.
>
> There shouldn't be any problem booting from any IDE position.

However, the fact is there -is-. I've seen this on Windows, Linux, Plan 9,
Unununium, etc. So have many others over many years, it is not a new
problem by any means.

If you want to minimize the hassles with CD's then always put them in as
the master.

From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2003-08-01  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

"Fco.J.Ballesteros" wrote:
> Disks don't use to have that problem, since most boxes
> have them attached at sdC0, ...

Except that might not be the disk containing the desired
Plan 9 partition.

* Re: [9fans] CDROM boot failed, how can i do?
@ 2003-07-31 11:12   ` River He

From: boyd, rounin @ 2003-07-31  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

    From: <9fans-admin@cse.psu.edu>

err, who is 9fans-admin?

* Re: [9fans] CDROM boot failed, how can i do?
@ 2003-07-31  9:32     ` Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2003-07-31  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Could it be advantageous to change the boot menu to allow selection of
> the CD-ROM location, to make it easier for newbies to
> investigate/test/install?

I'd prefer to get the same name for your cd everywhere, like a /dev/cd
for the first cd unit found. I do that by hand by binding under /n.
The price for not doing so is to have some programs look at /dev/sdC1
by default and others look at /dev/sdD1 (both things are wrong, depending
on the pc you're using).

Disks don't use to have that problem, since most boxes have them attached
at sdC0, but cd units...

* Re: [9fans] CDROM boot failed, how can i do?
@ 2003-07-31  1:49 ` Andrey S. Kukhar
From: Andrey S. Kukhar @ 2003-07-31  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2003-07-30 19:36   ` Jack Johnson
From: Jack Johnson @ 2003-07-30 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Andrey S. Kukhar wrote:
> Failed? No, you just prompted to select boot
> device. You should type something like this
> 	sdD0!cdboot!9pccd.gz
> where sdD0 is your CD drive.
> Then in the ``root is from'' prompt type
> 	local!#S/sdD0/data

If memory serves, this seems to be more prevalent if your CD-ROM is not
in the expected location (i.e. /dev/sdC1 vs. /dev/sdD0 or vice versa).
Entering the path manually always works, but if you happen to have
things plugged in in the "right" location, it all goes pretty smoothly.

I *think* it must expect /dev/sdC1 (primary slave), because I always
have my burner on /dev/sdD0 (secondary master -- alternate IDE
controller often provides better performance) and I think that's why I
always get bit by the boot prompt.

I had a demo(lition) box set up for a while where I just moved the
CD-ROM to keep things simple for testing, which is where I *think* I
noticed the defaults.

Could it be advantageous to change the boot menu to allow selection of
the CD-ROM location, to make it easier for newbies to
investigate/test/install?

-Jack

* [9fans] CDROM boot failed, how can i do?
@ 2003-07-30 16:31 River He