* [9fans] dual boot
@ 2014-05-23 12:40 Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
From: Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan @ 2014-05-23 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello:

I plan to install 9atom natively (until now, I had been using VMs and
Rpi, but I want to try it on my home AMD64 desktop machine). I
currently have Debian GNU/Linux installed on a hard disk. I am adding
a new hard disk on which I plan to install the 9atom. I am wondering
if I need to take any care to do the dual-boot from grub.

I see this previous thread:
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.os.plan9/5vyi0pK8owU/lKN-4rQCtIYJ>

--
  Ramakrishnan

* Re: [9fans] dual boot
@ 2014-05-23 12:47 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-05-23 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I plan to install 9atom natively (until now, I had been using VMs and
> Rpi, but I want to try it on my home AMD64 desktop machine). I
> currently have Debian GNU/Linux installed on a hard disk. I am adding
> a new hard disk on which I plan to install the 9atom. I am wondering
> if I need to take any care to do the dual-boot from grub.

that should work.  but i haven't tried it.  i change the boot order in
bios instead.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] dual boot
@ 2014-05-23 12:51 ` Jacob Todd
From: Jacob Todd @ 2014-05-23 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

The last time I dual booted plan 9 I just had to chainload it with grub
like you do with Windows.

* Re: [9fans] dual boot
@ 2014-05-24  6:43   ` Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan @ 2014-05-24  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I downloaded the usbinstamd64 image from the 9atom webpage and booted
it up. First, I tried amd64 (selection 0), in a second or so, some
text went past the screen quickly and the machine rebooted. I then
tried selection 1 (386pae), that booted up but quickly halted with
this:

Plan 9
E820: ....
apic: 6 machs started; flat mode vectors
winbont ffff.ff hw fff8
  no capabilities
panic: kernel fault: no user process pc=f0162415 addr=0x000000a8
panic: kernel fault: no user process pc=f0162415 addr=0x000000a8
dumpstack disabled
cpu0: exiting
cpu0: spurious interrupt 39, last 0

and it hangs there.

Is there any options I can try to move past this step?
--
  Ramakrishnan

* Re: [9fans] dual boot
@ 2014-05-24  6:47     ` Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
From: Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan @ 2014-05-24  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sat, May 24, 2014 at 12:13 PM, Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
<vu3rdd@gmail.com> wrote:
> I downloaded the usbinstamd64 image from the 9atom webpage and booted
> it up. First, I tried amd64 (selection 0), in a second or so, some
> text went past the screen quickly and the machine rebooted. I then
> tried selection 1 (386pae), that booted up but quickly halted with
> this:
>
> Plan 9
> E820: ....
> apic: 6 machs started; flat mode vectors
> winbont ffff.ff hw fff8
>   no capabilities
> panic: kernel fault: no user process pc=f0162415 addr=0x000000a8
> panic: kernel fault: no user process pc=f0162415 addr=0x000000a8
> dumpstack disabled
> cpu0: exiting
> cpu0: spurious interrupt 39, last 0
>
> and it hangs there.

The mother board is ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3.

<http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M4A89GTD_PROUSB3/>

--
  Ramakrishnan

* Re: [9fans] dual boot
@ 2014-05-24 11:33       ` Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
From: Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan @ 2014-05-24 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sat, May 24, 2014 at 12:17 PM, Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
<vu3rdd@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, May 24, 2014 at 12:13 PM, Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
> <vu3rdd@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I downloaded the usbinstamd64 image from the 9atom webpage and booted
>> it up. First, I tried amd64 (selection 0), in a second or so, some
>> text went past the screen quickly and the machine rebooted. I then
>> tried selection 1 (386pae), that booted up but quickly halted with
>> this:
>>
>> Plan 9
>> E820: ....
>> apic: 6 machs started; flat mode vectors
>> winbont ffff.ff hw fff8
>>   no capabilities
>> panic: kernel fault: no user process pc=f0162415 addr=0x000000a8
>> panic: kernel fault: no user process pc=f0162415 addr=0x000000a8
>> dumpstack disabled
>> cpu0: exiting
>> cpu0: spurious interrupt 39, last 0
>>
>> and it hangs there.
>
> The mother board is ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3.
>
> <http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M4A89GTD_PROUSB3/>

Also for the record, I also tried the Labs plan9 usb image. That
didn't go past a few initial prints either. I didn't note them down
but it was different from the ones reported above with 9atom and
failed much earlier.

--
  Ramakrishnan

* Re: [9fans] dual boot
@ 2014-05-24 12:01         ` Nick Owens
From: Nick Owens @ 2014-05-24 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sat, May 24, 2014 at 05:03:07PM +0530, Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan wrote:
> On Sat, May 24, 2014 at 12:17 PM, Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
> <vu3rdd@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, May 24, 2014 at 12:13 PM, Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
> > <vu3rdd@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I downloaded the usbinstamd64 image from the 9atom webpage and booted
> >> it up. First, I tried amd64 (selection 0), in a second or so, some
> >> text went past the screen quickly and the machine rebooted. I then
> >> tried selection 1 (386pae), that booted up but quickly halted with
> >> this:
> >>
> >> Plan 9
> >> E820: ....
> >> apic: 6 machs started; flat mode vectors
> >> winbont ffff.ff hw fff8
> >>   no capabilities
> >> panic: kernel fault: no user process pc=f0162415 addr=0x000000a8
> >> panic: kernel fault: no user process pc=f0162415 addr=0x000000a8
> >> dumpstack disabled
> >> cpu0: exiting
> >> cpu0: spurious interrupt 39, last 0
> >>
> >> and it hangs there.
> >
> > The mother board is ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3.
> >
> > <http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M4A89GTD_PROUSB3/>
>
> Also for the record, I also tried the Labs plan9 usb image. That
> didn't go past a few initial prints either. I didn't note them down
> but it was different from the ones reported above with 9atom and
> failed much earlier.
>
> --
>   Ramakrishnan

it appears this motherboard is using usb 3 aka xhci. i don't know for
certain but i don't think any plan 9 (fork or not-a-fork) has xhci
support. looking through the archive, there was talk of xhci about a
year ago.

try disabling usb 3.0 in the bios setting and see if it makes progress
when booting from usb.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 851 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] dual boot
@ 2014-05-24 12:13           ` Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
From: Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan @ 2014-05-24 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sat, May 24, 2014 at 5:31 PM, Nick Owens <mischief@9.offblast.org> wrote:
> On Sat, May 24, 2014 at 05:03:07PM +0530, Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan wrote:
>> On Sat, May 24, 2014 at 12:17 PM, Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
>> <vu3rdd@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > The mother board is ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3.
>> >
>> > <http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M4A89GTD_PROUSB3/>
>>
>> Also for the record, I also tried the Labs plan9 usb image. That
>> didn't go past a few initial prints either. I didn't note them down
>> but it was different from the ones reported above with 9atom and
>> failed much earlier.
>>
>> --
>>   Ramakrishnan
>>

> it appears this motherboard is using usb 3 aka xhci. i don't know for
> certain but i don't think any plan 9 (fork or not-a-fork) has xhci
> support. looking through the archive, there was talk of xhci about a
> year ago.
>
> try disabling usb 3.0 in the bios setting and see if it makes progress
> when booting from usb.

Thanks, I tried disabling usb 3.0 in the bios and I am still getting
stuck at the same place with the 9atom image.

--
  Ramakrishnan

* Re: [9fans] dual boot
@ 2014-05-24 14:34     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-05-24 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sat May 24 02:46:08 EDT 2014, vu3rdd@gmail.com wrote:
> I downloaded the usbinstamd64 image from the 9atom webpage and booted
> it up. First, I tried amd64 (selection 0), in a second or so, some
> text went past the screen quickly and the machine rebooted. I then
> tried selection 1 (386pae), that booted up but quickly halted with
> this:
>
> Plan 9
> E820: ....
> apic: 6 machs started; flat mode vectors
> winbont ffff.ff hw fff8
>   no capabilities
> panic: kernel fault: no user process pc=f0162415 addr=0x000000a8
> panic: kernel fault: no user process pc=f0162415 addr=0x000000a8
> dumpstack disabled
> cpu0: exiting
> cpu0: spurious interrupt 39, last 0
>
> and it hangs there.
>
> Is there any options I can try to move past this step?
> --
>   Ramakrishnan

well, first sorry.  this is not a usb issue.  since you're using
the 9paed kernel, this is the crash site:

acid; src(0xf0162415)
/sys/src/9/pcpae/ether8169.c:385
 380	static int
 381	rtl8169miimiw(Mii *mii, int pa, int ra, int data)
 382	{
 383		if(pa != 1)
 384			return -1;
>385		return ·rtl8169miimiw(mii->ctlr, pa, ra, data);
 386	}
 387
 388	static Mii*
 389	rtl8169mii(Ctlr* ctlr)
 390	{

and after a little inspection, i see the issue.  and i've applied a patch.
does the amd64 kernel behave differently?

one thing i am confused about, you have

> panic: kernel fault: no user process pc=f0162415 addr=0x000000a8
> panic: kernel fault: no user process pc=f0162415 addr=0x000000a8

i assume this was typed by hand?  i would expect it to read:
> panic: kernel fault: no user process pc=0xf0162415 addr=0x000000a8
> panic: kernel fault: no user process pc=0xf0162415 addr=0x000000a8

there is a new TEST image @ http://ftp.9atom.org/other/+usbinstamd64.bz2
i have not had a chance to try it myself, but the crash seems obvious enough.

one warning: yesterday i applied some changes to the amd64 scheduler,
to generate the correct load average, and to calm down the absolute
mach affinity.  this would cause dramatic unfairness whever nrdy > nmach.
this is because on some cpu, two processes would get assigned.  they would
share the cpu fairly, but on nmach-1 maches, the busy process would get a whole
cpu.  the solution was to watch how long a process has been ready and use that
as a hint that it should be run, even if there is a proc with greater affinity.

(thanks to jyu and gsoc!)  but removing the obvious bugs has
put the scheduler a bit out of tune, and things like ping may see a 20µs
"delay" in some cases.  i'm working on it.

the good news is that we now see correct load averages, fairness, and kernel
compile times have dropped 40% from before.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] dual boot
@ 2014-05-24 14:35     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-05-24 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sat May 24 02:46:08 EDT 2014, vu3rdd@gmail.com wrote:
> I downloaded the usbinstamd64 image from the 9atom webpage and booted
> it up. First, I tried amd64 (selection 0), in a second or so, some
> text went past the screen quickly and the machine rebooted. I then
> tried selection 1 (386pae), that booted up but quickly halted with
> this:
>
> Plan 9
> E820: ....
> apic: 6 machs started; flat mode vectors
> winbont ffff.ff hw fff8
>   no capabilities
> panic: kernel fault: no user process pc=f0162415 addr=0x000000a8
> panic: kernel fault: no user process pc=f0162415 addr=0x000000a8
> dumpstack disabled
> cpu0: exiting
> cpu0: spurious interrupt 39, last 0

i forgot to say ... excellent bug report.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] dual boot
@ 2014-05-25  5:11       ` Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
From: Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan @ 2014-05-25  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sat, May 24, 2014 at 8:04 PM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
> On Sat May 24 02:46:08 EDT 2014, vu3rdd@gmail.com wrote:
>> I downloaded the usbinstamd64 image from the 9atom webpage and booted
>> it up. First, I tried amd64 (selection 0), in a second or so, some
>> text went past the screen quickly and the machine rebooted. I then
>> tried selection 1 (386pae), that booted up but quickly halted with
>> this:
>>
>> Plan 9
>> E820: ....
>> apic: 6 machs started; flat mode vectors
>> winbont ffff.ff hw fff8
>>   no capabilities
>> panic: kernel fault: no user process pc=f0162415 addr=0x000000a8
>> panic: kernel fault: no user process pc=f0162415 addr=0x000000a8
>> dumpstack disabled
>> cpu0: exiting
>> cpu0: spurious interrupt 39, last 0
>>
>> and it hangs there.
>>
>> Is there any options I can try to move past this step?
>> --
>>   Ramakrishnan
>>

> well, first sorry.  this is not a usb issue.  since you're using
> the 9paed kernel, this is the crash site:
>
> acid; src(0xf0162415)
> /sys/src/9/pcpae/ether8169.c:385
>  380    static int
>  381    rtl8169miimiw(Mii *mii, int pa, int ra, int data)
>  382    {
>  383            if(pa != 1)
>  384                    return -1;
>>385            return ·rtl8169miimiw(mii->ctlr, pa, ra, data);
>  386    }
>  387
>  388    static Mii*
>  389    rtl8169mii(Ctlr* ctlr)
>  390    {
>
> and after a little inspection, i see the issue.  and i've applied a patch.
> does the amd64 kernel behave differently?

Thanks. :)

Yes, the amd64 kernel just reboots before I could read anything on the screen.

> one thing i am confused about, you have
>
>> panic: kernel fault: no user process pc=f0162415 addr=0x000000a8
>> panic: kernel fault: no user process pc=f0162415 addr=0x000000a8
>
> i assume this was typed by hand?  i would expect it to read:

Yes, I typed them by hand. Sorry about the error.

>> panic: kernel fault: no user process pc=0xf0162415 addr=0x000000a8
>> panic: kernel fault: no user process pc=0xf0162415 addr=0x000000a8
>
> there is a new TEST image @ http://ftp.9atom.org/other/+usbinstamd64.bz2
> i have not had a chance to try it myself, but the crash seems obvious enough.

Thanks. I just tried it and indeed, with the pae kernel, it gets me
into the installer. At some point, I mistakenly selected ("arches to
install" as amd64, well I really wanted to install amd64 but perhaps
the kernel has not been rebuilt for amd64 I guess.

Now, it proceeds to "build full set of amd64 executables?" which I
selected "yes". I then get a build error:

8c -FTVw s_tolower.c
s_rdinstack.c:13 not a function
s_rdinstack.c:13 syntax error, last name: Sinstack
mk: 8c -FTVw s_rdinstack.c  : exit status=rc 594: 8c 604: error
mk: date for (i  ...  : exit status=rc 509: rc 563: mk 565: error
halt system? (yes, no, skip)[no default]

I am going to try installing a 386 system instead (after sending out
this email).

Also the amd64 kernel still didn't boot. When I selected amd64
(selection 0), it just printed something that I couldn't read and
rebooted the system.

> one warning: yesterday i applied some changes to the amd64 scheduler,
> to generate the correct load average, and to calm down the absolute
> mach affinity.  this would cause dramatic unfairness whever nrdy > nmach.
> this is because on some cpu, two processes would get assigned.  they would
> share the cpu fairly, but on nmach-1 maches, the busy process would get a whole
> cpu.  the solution was to watch how long a process has been ready and use that
> as a hint that it should be run, even if there is a proc with greater affinity.
>
> (thanks to jyu and gsoc!)  but removing the obvious bugs has
> put the scheduler a bit out of tune, and things like ping may see a 20µs
> "delay" in some cases.  i'm working on it.
>
> the good news is that we now see correct load averages, fairness, and kernel
> compile times have dropped 40% from before.

Very eager to try these out. If you have any new builds and want to
test them out (and can bear the time zone difference -- I am in
GMT+5.30), I will be glad to test them out.

--
  Ramakrishnan

* Re: [9fans] dual boot
@ 2014-05-25  5:12       ` Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
From: Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan @ 2014-05-25  5:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sat, May 24, 2014 at 8:05 PM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
> On Sat May 24 02:46:08 EDT 2014, vu3rdd@gmail.com wrote:
>> I downloaded the usbinstamd64 image from the 9atom webpage and booted
>> it up. First, I tried amd64 (selection 0), in a second or so, some
>> text went past the screen quickly and the machine rebooted. I then
>> tried selection 1 (386pae), that booted up but quickly halted with
>> this:
>>
>> Plan 9
>> E820: ....
>> apic: 6 machs started; flat mode vectors
>> winbont ffff.ff hw fff8
>>   no capabilities
>> panic: kernel fault: no user process pc=f0162415 addr=0x000000a8
>> panic: kernel fault: no user process pc=f0162415 addr=0x000000a8
>> dumpstack disabled
>> cpu0: exiting
>> cpu0: spurious interrupt 39, last 0
>
> i forgot to say ... excellent bug report.

Thanks. :) Happy to help fix the bug. I hope to get the system up and
learn to do these kinds of debugging myself.

--
  Ramakrishnan

* Re: [9fans] dual boot
@ 2014-05-25  5:28         ` Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
From: Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan @ 2014-05-25  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sun, May 25, 2014 at 10:41 AM, Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
<vu3rdd@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> i have not had a chance to try it myself, but the crash seems obvious enough.
>
> Thanks. I just tried it and indeed, with the pae kernel, it gets me
> into the installer. At some point, I mistakenly selected ("arches to
> install" as amd64, well I really wanted to install amd64 but perhaps
> the kernel has not been rebuilt for amd64 I guess.
>
> Now, it proceeds to "build full set of amd64 executables?" which I
> selected "yes". I then get a build error:
>
> 8c -FTVw s_tolower.c
> s_rdinstack.c:13 not a function
> s_rdinstack.c:13 syntax error, last name: Sinstack
> mk: 8c -FTVw s_rdinstack.c  : exit status=rc 594: 8c 604: error
> mk: date for (i  ...  : exit status=rc 509: rc 563: mk 565: error
> halt system? (yes, no, skip)[no default]
>
> I am going to try installing a 386 system instead (after sending out

Tried with arch as  386 and I get the same error while it compiles
s_rdinstack.c.

Ramakrishnan

* Re: [9fans] dual boot
@ 2014-05-25  5:37         ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-05-25  5:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Yes, I typed them by hand. Sorry about the error.
>
> >> panic: kernel fault: no user process pc=0xf0162415 addr=0x000000a8
> >> panic: kernel fault: no user process pc=0xf0162415 addr=0x000000a8
> >
> > there is a new TEST image @ http://ftp.9atom.org/other/+usbinstamd64.bz2
> > i have not had a chance to try it myself, but the crash seems obvious enough.
>
> Thanks. I just tried it and indeed, with the pae kernel, it gets me
> into the installer. At some point, I mistakenly selected ("arches to
> install" as amd64, well I really wanted to install amd64 but perhaps
> the kernel has not been rebuilt for amd64 I guess.
>
> Now, it proceeds to "build full set of amd64 executables?" which I
> selected "yes". I then get a build error:
>
> 8c -FTVw s_tolower.c
> s_rdinstack.c:13 not a function
> s_rdinstack.c:13 syntax error, last name: Sinstack
> mk: 8c -FTVw s_rdinstack.c  : exit status=rc 594: 8c 604: error
> mk: date for (i  ...  : exit status=rc 509: rc 563: mk 565: error
> halt system? (yes, no, skip)[no default]

oops.  sorry.  my fault.  fixed.

> I am going to try installing a 386 system instead (after sending out
> this email).
>
> Also the amd64 kernel still didn't boot. When I selected amd64
> (selection 0), it just printed something that I couldn't read and
> rebooted the system.

if this is an amd (not intel) system, i may have applied a band-aid for this.

> Very eager to try these out. If you have any new builds and want to
> test them out (and can bear the time zone difference -- I am in
> GMT+5.30), I will be glad to test them out.

everything is ready to try in

	http://ftp.9atom.org/other/+usbinstamd64.bz2

this is the test image.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] dual boot
@ 2014-05-25  8:09           ` Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
From: Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan @ 2014-05-25  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sun, May 25, 2014 at 11:07 AM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
>> Yes, I typed them by hand. Sorry about the error.

>> > there is a new TEST image @ http://ftp.9atom.org/other/+usbinstamd64.bz2
>> > i have not had a chance to try it myself, but the crash seems obvious enough.
>>
>> Thanks. I just tried it and indeed, with the pae kernel, it gets me
>> into the installer. At some point, I mistakenly selected ("arches to
>> install" as amd64, well I really wanted to install amd64 but perhaps
>> the kernel has not been rebuilt for amd64 I guess.
>>
>> Now, it proceeds to "build full set of amd64 executables?" which I
>> selected "yes". I then get a build error:
>>
>> 8c -FTVw s_tolower.c
>> s_rdinstack.c:13 not a function
>> s_rdinstack.c:13 syntax error, last name: Sinstack
>> mk: 8c -FTVw s_rdinstack.c  : exit status=rc 594: 8c 604: error
>> mk: date for (i  ...  : exit status=rc 509: rc 563: mk 565: error
>> halt system? (yes, no, skip)[no default]
>
> oops.  sorry.  my fault.  fixed.
>
>> I am going to try installing a 386 system instead (after sending out
>> this email).
>>
>> Also the amd64 kernel still didn't boot. When I selected amd64
>> (selection 0), it just printed something that I couldn't read and
>> rebooted the system.
>
> if this is an amd (not intel) system, i may have applied a band-aid for this.

Using your new image, I confirm that your fixes are working. I could
boot and install the system with arch as amd64.

In the "configure vga resolution? (yes, no, skip)[no]: I selected "yes".

It proceeded to show me a list of resolutions (8 different options).
Since my monitor has the highest resolution of 1920x1080, I selected
that. Next it asked for "image depth[no default]" where I typed in 16.
But it kept looking there, whatever I keyed in. If I proceed with "no
default", I see that the PLAN9.INI file in the 9fat partition (which I
mounted with 9fat: command) has the resolution set as "1920x1080xno
default". So, after installation, I got dropped into a text console,
probably because of this error.

Also if I opted to create a user name (called "ram") for me during
installation. But I don't see the lib/* files under /usr/ram. I see a
few files under /usr/glenda. Aren't some of these boilerplate init
files copied to the user home directory during installation?

Thanks again. Doing another installation now, but without opting for a
vga resolution during installation time to see if I can get rid of the
"no default" thing in the plan9.ini file. I will change that file
later after the installation to pick the right resolution.

--
  Ramakrishnan

* Re: [9fans] dual boot
@ 2014-05-25  9:08             ` Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
From: Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan @ 2014-05-25  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sun, May 25, 2014 at 1:39 PM, Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
<vu3rdd@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, May 25, 2014 at 11:07 AM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
>>> Yes, I typed them by hand. Sorry about the error.

>>> Thanks. I just tried it and indeed, with the pae kernel, it gets me
>>> into the installer. At some point, I mistakenly selected ("arches to
>>> install" as amd64, well I really wanted to install amd64 but perhaps
>>> the kernel has not been rebuilt for amd64 I guess.
>>>
>>> Now, it proceeds to "build full set of amd64 executables?" which I
>>> selected "yes". I then get a build error:
>>>
>>> 8c -FTVw s_tolower.c
>>> s_rdinstack.c:13 not a function
>>> s_rdinstack.c:13 syntax error, last name: Sinstack
>>> mk: 8c -FTVw s_rdinstack.c  : exit status=rc 594: 8c 604: error
>>> mk: date for (i  ...  : exit status=rc 509: rc 563: mk 565: error
>>> halt system? (yes, no, skip)[no default]
>>
>> oops.  sorry.  my fault.  fixed.
>>
>>> I am going to try installing a 386 system instead (after sending out
>>> this email).
>>>
>>> Also the amd64 kernel still didn't boot. When I selected amd64
>>> (selection 0), it just printed something that I couldn't read and
>>> rebooted the system.
>>
>> if this is an amd (not intel) system, i may have applied a band-aid for this.
>
> Using your new image, I confirm that your fixes are working. I could
> boot and install the system with arch as amd64.
>
> In the "configure vga resolution? (yes, no, skip)[no]: I selected "yes".
>
> It proceeded to show me a list of resolutions (8 different options).
> Since my monitor has the highest resolution of 1920x1080, I selected
> that. Next it asked for "image depth[no default]" where I typed in 16.
> But it kept looking there, whatever I keyed in. If I proceed with "no
> default", I see that the PLAN9.INI file in the 9fat partition (which I
> mounted with 9fat: command) has the resolution set as "1920x1080xno
> default". So, after installation, I got dropped into a text console,
> probably because of this error.
>
> Also if I opted to create a user name (called "ram") for me during
> installation. But I don't see the lib/* files under /usr/ram. I see a
> few files under /usr/glenda. Aren't some of these boilerplate init
> files copied to the user home directory during installation?
>
> Thanks again. Doing another installation now, but without opting for a
> vga resolution during installation time to see if I can get rid of the
> "no default" thing in the plan9.ini file. I will change that file

I tried mounting 9fat and replaced no defaults using sed to 16. It now
booted but the username "ram" didn't have any of the rc init files.
So, I again used sed to replace "ram" with "glenda". I now have a
working native installation of 9atom on my desktop that I can play
with and experiment.

Thank you very much.

--
  Ramakrishnan

* Re: [9fans] dual boot
@ 2014-05-25 17:25               ` Brian L. Stuart
From: Brian L. Stuart @ 2014-05-25 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> It now
> booted but the username "ram" didn't have
> any of the rc init files.

There's a script in /sys/lib/newuser that sets
up an initial set of scripts and directories
for a newly created user.  The newuser(8) man
page give more detail.

BLS

* Re: [9fans] dual boot
@ 2014-05-25 17:51                 ` Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
From: Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan @ 2014-05-25 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian L. Stuart, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sun, May 25, 2014 at 10:55 PM, Brian L. Stuart
<blstuart@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>> It now
>> booted but the username "ram" didn't have
>> any of the rc init files.
>
> There's a script in /sys/lib/newuser that sets
> up an initial set of scripts and directories
> for a newly created user.  The newuser(8) man
> page give more detail.

Thank you, Brian. I discovered that after sending that email while
reading the plan9 web documentation.

BTW, I recently got hold of your OS book. Very nice book, especially
the inferno parts, which was my primary interest when I bought the
book.

--
  Ramakrishnan

* Re: [9fans] dual boot
@ 2014-05-25 21:49             ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-05-25 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> It proceeded to show me a list of resolutions (8 different options).
> Since my monitor has the highest resolution of 1920x1080, I selected
> that. Next it asked for "image depth[no default]" where I typed in 16.
> But it kept looking there, whatever I keyed in. If I proceed with "no
> default", I see that the PLAN9.INI file in the 9fat partition (which I
> mounted with 9fat: command) has the resolution set as "1920x1080xno
> default". So, after installation, I got dropped into a text console,
> probably because of this error.

yes, sorry about this.  there is a bug in the script.  fortunately you were
smart enough to fix things.

a proper screensize looks like XxYxD where X,Y is the screen size in
pixels, and D is the bit depth.  i use 1600x1200x16.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] dual boot
@ 2014-05-25 23:05                   ` Brian L. Stuart
From: Brian L. Stuart @ 2014-05-25 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> BTW, I recently got hold of your OS book. Very nice book, especially

> the inferno parts, which was my primary interest when I bought the
> book.

Thanks, Ram.  I'm glad you're enjoying it.  In the midst of
moving and preparing to return to the classroom this summer,
I plan to get the copyright back from the publisher.  There
are some parts that I definitely think I can explain better.
I'd also like to incorporate some material focused on the
issues releated to large numbers of cores.  But it'll probably
be at least the end of the summer before I have any more news
on it.

Thanks again,
BLS

* Re: [9fans] dual boot
@ 2014-05-26 10:37               ` Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
From: Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan @ 2014-05-26 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 3:19 AM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
>> It proceeded to show me a list of resolutions (8 different options).
>> Since my monitor has the highest resolution of 1920x1080, I selected
>> that. Next it asked for "image depth[no default]" where I typed in 16.
>> But it kept looking there, whatever I keyed in. If I proceed with "no
>> default", I see that the PLAN9.INI file in the 9fat partition (which I
>> mounted with 9fat: command) has the resolution set as "1920x1080xno
>> default". So, after installation, I got dropped into a text console,
>> probably because of this error.
>
> yes, sorry about this.  there is a bug in the script.  fortunately you were
> smart enough to fix things.

Where does the installer script live?

> a proper screensize looks like XxYxD where X,Y is the screen size in
> pixels, and D is the bit depth.  i use 1600x1200x16.

I set it to 1280x768x16. My monitor/VGA Controller resolutions seem to
be missing from the /lib/vgadb perhaps?

Erik, thanks for putting together and maintaining 9atom. Without it
and your help, I wouldn't be running a Plan9 system today. I will do
my best in terms of bug reports and code to give back to the project.

--
  Ramakrishnan

* Re: [9fans] dual boot
@ 2014-05-26 12:49                 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-05-26 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Where does the installer script live?

the usb installer is in /sys/lib/dist/amd64.  the part that runs at boot is in
the install directory.  i think the bug is in the vga script in that directory.
(not to be confused with aux/vga.)  it may not do the right thing if there
are no edids.

> > a proper screensize looks like XxYxD where X,Y is the screen size in
> > pixels, and D is the bit depth.  i use 1600x1200x16.
>
> I set it to 1280x768x16. My monitor/VGA Controller resolutions seem to
> be missing from the /lib/vgadb perhaps?

vesa graphics do not use /lib/vgadb.

> Erik, thanks for putting together and maintaining 9atom. Without it
> and your help, I wouldn't be running a Plan9 system today. I will do
> my best in terms of bug reports and code to give back to the project.

no problems.  that's why it's there.

once you have things installed, you can submit patches
with apatch (see patch(1), as the man page is currently missing.)

- erik