* [9fans] carriage returns in 9term and acme
@ 2012-09-12  3:57 Christopher Hobbs
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Christopher Hobbs @ 2012-09-12  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Do I need a specific font to render carriage returns properly?  This
is from acme on p9p:  http://cl.ly/image/0H0n2F1s1e0e

The same behavior is visible in 9term as well.  I have the issue both
on p9p and vanilla plan9.

Thanks.

--
Christopher M. Hobbs
http://altbit.org

* Re: [9fans] carriage returns in 9term and acme
@ 2012-09-12  4:06 ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2012-09-12  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

no. changing the font also wont get rid of the ansi escape
codes. plan9 text console is not a tty. read the recent
(ssh) posts on this mailinglist as it touches the topic
of chaning the terminal output to something acme/plan9
can handle.

--
cinap

* Re: [9fans] carriage returns in 9term and acme
@ 2012-09-12  4:08 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2012-09-12  4:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue Sep 11 23:59:33 EDT 2012, chris@altbit.org wrote:
> Do I need a specific font to render carriage returns properly?  This
> is from acme on p9p:  http://cl.ly/image/0H0n2F1s1e0e
>
> The same behavior is visible in 9term as well.  I have the issue both
> on p9p and vanilla plan9.

could you define "properly".  that looks right to me.

unix/plan 9 don't use nl+cr.  the carrage return harkens
back to the days when the console had an actual typewriter
carrage which needed to be sent back to the left.  in the
very old days, even before consoles with printer heads,
there was a manual return lever and a linefeed key.  since
the early 1960s  (half a century!) return, has, uh, been return.
☺

- erik

* Re: [9fans] carriage returns in 9term and acme
@ 2012-09-12  4:48   ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2012-09-12  4:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

my adsl router has a telnet interface that won't dumb down (i.e. be
sensible). it is more than tedious watching it try to backspace over
stuff and move the cursor about. hey guys, don't do that crap!

@ 2012-09-12 14:30     ` Matthew Veety
From: Matthew Veety @ 2012-09-12 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sep 12, 2012 12:48 AM, "Bruce Ellis" <bruce.ellis@gmail.com> wrote:

> my adsl router has a telnet interface that won't dumb down (i.e. be
> sensible). it is more than tedious watching it try to backspace over
> stuff and move the cursor about. hey guys, don't do that crap!

You can make a telnet client that dumbs down the stream to your terminal.
Telnet is trivial to implement.

--
Veety

* Re: [9fans] carriage returns in 9term and acme
@ 2012-09-12 23:39       ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2012-09-12 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Brilliant! Write a program because the router is stupid. Anything else
you would like me to write while I'm at it?

brucee

--
Don't meddle in the mouth -- MVS (0416935147, +1-513-3BRUCEE)

* Re: [9fans] carriage returns in 9term and acme
@ 2012-09-13  0:02       ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2012-09-13  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

That's a bit elaborate. vt(1) might be easier.

@ 2012-09-13  0:07         ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2012-09-13  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Indeed. Though I'm waiting for the trivial implementation that does
something imaginative with the batshit practice of overwriting lines
using CR without LF.

brucee

@ 2012-09-13  0:12           ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2012-09-13  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

without a LF how will the sprockets pulling the screen up vt(1) get activated?

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 5:07 PM, Bruce Ellis <bruce.ellis@gmail.com> wrote:
> Indeed. Though I'm waiting for the trivial implementation that does
> something imaginative with the batshit practice of overwriting lines
> using CR without LF.
>
> brucee
>
> On 13 September 2012 10:02, Charles Forsyth <charles.forsyth@gmail.com> wrote:
>> That's a bit elaborate. vt(1) might be easier.
>>

>> On 12 September 2012 15:30, Matthew Veety <mveety@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> You can make a telnet client that dumbs down the stream to your terminal.
>>> Telnet is trivial to implement.

* Re: [9fans] carriage returns in 9term and acme
@ 2012-09-13  0:15             ` erik quanstrom
                                 ` (2 more replies)
From: erik quanstrom @ 2012-09-13  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: skip.tavakkolian, 9fans

On Wed Sep 12 20:13:38 EDT 2012, skip.tavakkolian@gmail.com wrote:
> without a LF how will the sprockets pulling the screen up vt(1) get activated?
>
> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 5:07 PM, Bruce Ellis <bruce.ellis@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Indeed. Though I'm waiting for the trivial implementation that does
> > something imaginative with the batshit practice of overwriting lines
> > using CR without LF.

now that you mention it, vt is missing the flyback transformer whine.  you
should be able to *hear* what's displayed.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] carriage returns in 9term and acme
@ 2012-09-13  0:22               ` Bruce Ellis
       [not found]               ` <CAJQxxw=BPuX4kBr3_t2g7Pn9zMU3bw24W4T3jbr4=BMJ=bEm5g@mail.gmail.c>
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2012-09-13  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Perhaps decwriter(1) should be on someone's list. Then we can all
not-sleep at night. And if things are running too fast the 110 baud
switch could be used.

brucee

@ 2012-09-13  0:32                 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2012-09-13  0:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bruce.ellis, 9fans

On Wed Sep 12 20:23:02 EDT 2012, bruce.ellis@gmail.com wrote:
> Perhaps decwriter(1) should be on someone's list. Then we can all
> not-sleep at night. And if things are running too fast the 110 baud
> switch could be used.

make sure to include the ever-popular LOC switch.  just
to see if the n00bs are paying attention.

- erik

@ 2012-09-13 10:13               ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2012-09-13 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> now that you mention it, vt is missing the flyback transformer whine.  you
> should be able to *hear* what's displayed.

perhaps it is there an you are no-longer able to hear it? :-)

I can no longer hear line rate in the UK (15.625kHz).

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] carriage returns in 9term and acme
@ 2012-09-13 13:49                 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2012-09-13 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: steve, 9fans

On Thu Sep 13 06:15:03 EDT 2012, steve@quintile.net wrote:
> > now that you mention it, vt is missing the flyback transformer whine.  you
> > should be able to *hear* what's displayed.
>
> perhaps it is there an you are no-longer able to hear it? :-)
>
> I can no longer hear line rate in the UK (15.625kHz).

i can hear the power supply in my test machine.  i don't know
it starts up like a hurd of mice and then pavarotti the mouse
solos.  that mouse has some pipes.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] carriage returns in 9term and acme
@ 2012-09-17 12:44 ` michaelian ennis
From: michaelian ennis @ 2012-09-17 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 11:57 PM, Christopher Hobbs <chris@altbit.org> wrote:
> Do I need a specific font to render carriage returns properly?  This
> is from acme on p9p:  http://cl.ly/image/0H0n2F1s1e0e

If that is a "win" it looks to me like you should be able to fix that
with unalias -a.    Otherwise you should be able to tell whatever
program that is to not use ansi escape chars.  I'd look for colorize
or something like that in the documentation or look at the TERM=
environment variable.

Cheers,
Ian