* Re: [9fans] Request for (constructive?) comments: Plan 9 : 2020
@ 2019-10-30  1:02 ori
From: ori @ 2019-10-30  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lyndon, 9fans

> Chris McGee writes:
>
>> I am unlikely to be able to come unless it is north eastern US or Canada,
>> maybe Toronto or Montreal. I know of at least one other Plan 9 tinkerer in
>> the area.
>
> Maybe an unofficial get together around BSDCan in Montreal next spring?
> The Saturday after the conference ends?  I know a couple of likely
> conference participants who would be interested.

I don't think official get togethers exist any more :)

In any case, if this thing goes well, I doubt it will be the last
one to happen. A few people have wanted an excuse to visit Japan,
for example..

And I'm a regular BSDCan attendee, so it's fairly likely I'd show
up to a meeting there if one happened.

* Re: [9fans] Request for (constructive?) comments: Plan 9 : 2020
@ 2019-10-31 18:58 ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2019-10-31 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ori; +Cc: 9fans

For BSDCan I say "unofficial" specifically because an "official"
BOF as part of BSDCan would require conference registration.  An
"unofficial" BOF would be off-site (we can just meet at the usual
pub) the day after the conference ends.

* Re: [9fans] Request for (constructive?) comments: Plan 9 : 2020
@ 2019-10-31 21:03   ` Iruatã Souza
From: Iruatã Souza @ 2019-10-31 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

If we want to see what people have been doing with Plan 9, isn't it better
to facilitate for the people that want to expose their work?

@ 2019-10-30 19:28                           ` Chris McGee
From: Chris McGee @ 2019-10-30 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

This sounds good to me, either Ottawa or Montreal. I've never been to
BSDCan. Could the meetup be part of the conference itself or would it need
to be separately arranged?

@ 2019-10-29 20:02                         ` Dave MacFarlane
From: Dave MacFarlane @ 2019-10-29 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2019-10-29 19:43                       ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2019-10-29 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2019-10-29 19:16   ` Marshall Conover
From: Marshall Conover @ 2019-10-29 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi all! We've gotten a few crude suggestions. While they weren't
ill-intentioned, please make sure you're not saying stuff that's
inappropriate at a workplace level. If you're not comfortable with
that requirement, or aren't sure if you should suggest something,
feel free to send me an email. Thanks!

--
Have a good day,

Marshall Conover

* Re: [9fans] Request for (constructive?) comments: Plan 9 : 2020
@ 2019-10-29 19:00 ` Rodrigo G. López
From: Rodrigo G. López @ 2019-10-29 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2019-10-29 18:40 umbraticus
From: umbraticus @ 2019-10-29 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2019-10-29 17:56                     ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2019-10-29 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans; +Cc: Lyndon Nerenberg

Chris McGee writes:

> I am unlikely to be able to come unless it is north eastern US or Canada,
> maybe Toronto or Montreal. I know of at least one other Plan 9 tinkerer in
> the area.

Maybe an unofficial get together around BSDCan in Montreal next spring?
The Saturday after the conference ends?  I know a couple of likely
conference participants who would be interested.

--lyndon

* Re: [9fans] Request for (constructive?) comments: Plan 9 : 2020
@ 2019-10-29 17:50                     ` Marshall Conover
From: Marshall Conover @ 2019-10-29 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi All!

Next, I'm thinking it's probably best to ask for location suggestions
for consideration and research. I've made a google doc:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13DHIIlFQzMsDJ2fhx18cK6AmpJlBlOICVDZMb63xz7k/edit?usp=sharing

Feel free to add any locations that sound like a good idea to you.
Also feel free to add your name behind a location you'd be happy to go
to if someone has already suggested it.

This isn't meant to be the final round of voting; once we have
locations, we'll do some digging to see what's available in those
areas. Once we know that, we'll probably do a more serious poll for
attendees and a ranked-choice vote on location.

Let me know if there are any thoughts, concerns, or questions!

Thanks!

Marshall

@ 2019-10-29 16:33                   ` David Bulkow
From: David Bulkow @ 2019-10-29 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2019-10-29 16:31                   ` Chris McGee
From: Chris McGee @ 2019-10-29 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

It's really great to see this kind of activity.

@ 2019-10-29 16:24                 ` Nicolas S. Montanaro
From: Nicolas S. Montanaro @ 2019-10-29 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2019-10-29 15:16               ` Marshall Conover
From: Marshall Conover @ 2019-10-29 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi All!

The poll's here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/stories/SM-YX9F7TC7/

Looks like we've got roughly 20 who would certainly attend, and maybe
5-10 additional based on location and what's available.

There's also a decent set of topics for discussion and events in the polling.

That sounds, to me, like enough people to at least entertain the idea,
and a fairly reasonable and manageable size from the perspective of
planning and execution.

Thanks!

Marshall

--
Have a good day,

Marshall Conover

* Re: [9fans] Request for (constructive?) comments: Plan 9 : 2020
@ 2019-10-27 16:22 ` tlaronde
From: tlaronde @ 2019-10-27 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans; +Cc: lyndon

On Sat, Oct 26, 2019 at 01:44:39PM -0700, ori@eigenstate.org wrote:
> > But as a general gauge of initial interest it's certainly useful.
>
> Yes, I think that's mostly what's needed right now: Who's interesetd,
> and where they are.  It's important to know if we're looking for a
> space to host 10 people or 1000 people, or something in between --
> it's important for venue selection.

Count me out, I will probably be unable to attend.

But I will help with some money (and I definitively consider the plan9
continuation as worth it).
                     http://www.kergis.com/
                       http://www.sbfa.fr/

* Re: [9fans] Request for (constructive?) comments: Plan 9 : 2020
@ 2019-10-26 23:58 ` Rodrigo G. López
From: Rodrigo G. López @ 2019-10-26 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

count me in.
i might be able to attend by march next year.

-rodri

@ 2019-10-26 20:44 ori
From: ori @ 2019-10-26 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lyndon, 9fans

@ 2019-10-26 20:32             ` Marshall Conover
From: Marshall Conover @ 2019-10-26 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> The survey seems more cute than useful. E.g. there's a *big* difference between
> "travel a couple of hours" and "anywhere.".. I wouldn't consider travel to the
> US... whereas I would consider travel to Europe...

That's a good point. A ranked-choice deal based on locations would be better.
Like you said, this is best just for a first-pass headcount - and
having the countries
people are in + their answer of how far they'd like to travel should
hopefully help give
a head-start on getting the list of actual potential venues down for
later polls. I also
have no idea what I'm doing.

> I would be willing to kick in some $$$ to help pay to have the event streamed.

Streaming is a great idea! One person's suggested they'd like to have coding
going through the event as well, so that may also be a good way to keep
tele-attenders involved.

In the mean time, thanks for all who've voted so far! I figure I'll
give it a day and then
send the results out and see what people think.

Mars

On Sat, Oct 26, 2019 at 3:28 PM Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ca> wrote:

> > In that vein, here's a poll: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/VJNQYGC
>
> The survey seems more cute than useful. E.g. there's a *big*
> difference between "travel a couple of hours" and "anywhere."  And
> even though it's close by, I wouldn't consider travel to the US (a
> couple of hours) due to the insanity involved in getting through
> US immigration, whereas I would consider travel to Europe (~9 hours).
> Asia would be out, due to travel time and cost.
>
> But as a general gauge of initial interest it's certainly useful.
>
> Sadly, while I'd love to go, 2020 doesn't look like a year where
> I'll be doing much travelling :-(  But I would be willing to kick
> in some $$$ to help pay to have the event streamed.
>
> --lyndon

Have a good day,

Marshall Conover

* Re: [9fans] Request for (constructive?) comments: Plan 9 : 2020
@ 2019-10-26 19:26           ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2019-10-26 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2019-10-26 14:10         ` Marshall Conover
From: Marshall Conover @ 2019-10-26 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans; +Cc: Kurt H Maier

While that might be about right, maybe it'd be better if we polled to
see for interest, and also got a good idea of where people live to
help get insight on where to host.

In that vein, here's a poll: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/VJNQYGC

You can select level of interest; add your name, email, zipcode and
country code so we get the geographical distribution; suggest some
topics for panels you might be interested in; and weigh in on whether
we should continue using a thread on this mailing list for future
discussion or continue things in separate emails, in case uninterested
parties don't want to keep seeing emails about this topic.

Thoughts?

Marshall

@ 2019-10-26  0:27       ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2019-10-26  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kurt H Maier; +Cc: 9fans

@ 2019-10-25  5:17       ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2019-10-25  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kurt H Maier; +Cc: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

ha! :)

frontier accomodations might be a bit rough for the refined 9fans

@ 2019-10-25  4:28     ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2019-10-25  4:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2019-10-25  4:21   ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2019-10-25  4:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2019-10-24 20:47 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2019-10-24 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

* Re: [9fans] Request for (constructive?) comments: Plan 9 : 2020
@ 2019-10-24  9:45 Jonas Amoson

@ 2019-10-23 11:09 ` tlaronde
From: tlaronde @ 2019-10-23 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 01:33:06PM -0700, Skip Tavakkolian wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Jeff (jas) and I have been chatting about organizing a "Plan 9 : 2020"
> workshop.  We're trying to gauge everyone's interest, and to solicit agenda
> items, venue suggestions, and hopefully volunteers to help organize it.
>
>[...]
> Sponsorship:
> Yes, please?
> Volunteering to help plan, organize, or help with the costs would be great.
> As in past workshops, this will be a labor of love for all involved.

I will very probably be unable to attend but I could help with some
money (don't expect thousands of dollars or other currency; but I will
be probably able to help with some hundreds).

Best,
                     http://www.kergis.com/
                       http://www.sbfa.fr/

* Re: [9fans] Request for (constructive?) comments: Plan 9 : 2020
@ 2019-10-23  8:40   ` Iruatã Souza
From: Iruatã Souza @ 2019-10-23  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2019-10-23  7:32 ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2019-10-23  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ori Bernstein; +Cc: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

The general idea of teaming up to address issues/bugs or add features is
some sort of hackathon.

@ 2019-10-23  6:58 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2019-10-23  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2019-10-23  4:49 ori
From: ori @ 2019-10-23  4:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: skip.tavakkolian, 9fans

@ 2019-10-23  1:14   ` Marshall Conover
From: Marshall Conover @ 2019-10-23  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs; +Cc: Skip Tavakkolian

I'd be happy to volunteer some hours setting things up. I'd love to hear a
talk on mycroftiv's grid, as well.

@ 2019-10-23  0:22 ` Sean Hinchee