* [9fans] Fujitsu D3401
@ 2019-02-15 11:57 Kare Nuorteva
From: Kare Nuorteva @ 2019-02-15 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello 9fans,

I'm a Plan 9 enthusiast from Finland. I've been playing around with Plan 9 as
a hobby for few years now. Earlier I've played with 9front, but now I'd like to
try out Bell Labs distro.

I'm thinking about renting a server from Hetzner (they've got a data center in
Helsinki) and run 9legacy on it. I'd set it up as a file server in order
to store my files in it.

I wondering if this entry level server is compatible with 9legacy?
https://www.hetzner.com/dedicated-rootserver/ex42-nvme/configurator
I've contacted Hetzner support and they told me that the mainboard is Fujitsu
D3401. I can't find exact specifications for this board. I've only found this:
https://sp.ts.fujitsu.com/dmsp/Publications/public/DS-D3401-B.pdf
but I'm not certain whether this is correct or not. It is marked as
classic desktop mainboard.

I would appreciate your help.

I've not decided whether I'll go with Hetzner so suggestions about hosting
providers are more than welcome.

Kare

* Re: [9fans] Fujitsu D3401
@ 2019-02-16  3:28 ` Sean Hinchee
From: Sean Hinchee @ 2019-02-16  3:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs, Kare Nuorteva

It's hard to say whether a board will work without testing. You could
try searching the 9front sysinfo lists, but it's possible this board has
never been used. If it does work, I'm sure the 9front project would
enjoy a copy of the sysinfo for it :)

I've done all my Plan 9 hosting through Vultr, but looking at their
locations the farthest north they offer in Europe is Amsterdam.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Sean

On 2/15/19 5:57 AM, Kare Nuorteva wrote:
> Hello 9fans,
>
> I'm a Plan 9 enthusiast from Finland. I've been playing around with Plan 9 as
> a hobby for few years now. Earlier I've played with 9front, but now I'd like to
> try out Bell Labs distro.
>
> I'm thinking about renting a server from Hetzner (they've got a data center in
> Helsinki) and run 9legacy on it. I'd set it up as a file server in order
> to store my files in it.
>
> I wondering if this entry level server is compatible with 9legacy?
> https://www.hetzner.com/dedicated-rootserver/ex42-nvme/configurator
> I've contacted Hetzner support and they told me that the mainboard is Fujitsu
> D3401. I can't find exact specifications for this board. I've only found this:
> https://sp.ts.fujitsu.com/dmsp/Publications/public/DS-D3401-B.pdf
> but I'm not certain whether this is correct or not. It is marked as
> classic desktop mainboard.
>
> I would appreciate your help.
>
> I've not decided whether I'll go with Hetzner so suggestions about hosting
> providers are more than welcome.
>
> Kare

* Re: [9fans] Fujitsu D3401
@ 2019-02-16  8:52   ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2019-02-16  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

plan9 has run under xen, kqmu and vmware in the past but i dont know its current status, but that might be an option.

i run the labs distro with some bits of 9front on a raspberry pi and a supermicro mini itx server.

-Steve

> On 16 Feb 2019, at 3:28 am, Sean Hinchee <henesy.nein@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> It's hard to say whether a board will work without testing. You could try searching the 9front sysinfo lists, but it's possible this board has never been used. If it does work, I'm sure the 9front project would enjoy a copy of the sysinfo for it :)
>
> I've done all my Plan 9 hosting through Vultr, but looking at their locations the farthest north they offer in Europe is Amsterdam.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Cheers,
> Sean
>
>> On 2/15/19 5:57 AM, Kare Nuorteva wrote:
>> Hello 9fans,
>>
>> I'm a Plan 9 enthusiast from Finland. I've been playing around with Plan 9 as
>> a hobby for few years now. Earlier I've played with 9front, but now I'd like to
>> try out Bell Labs distro.
>>
>> I'm thinking about renting a server from Hetzner (they've got a data center in
>> Helsinki) and run 9legacy on it. I'd set it up as a file server in order
>> to store my files in it.
>>
>> I wondering if this entry level server is compatible with 9legacy?
>> https://www.hetzner.com/dedicated-rootserver/ex42-nvme/configurator
>> I've contacted Hetzner support and they told me that the mainboard is Fujitsu
>> D3401. I can't find exact specifications for this board. I've only found this:
>> https://sp.ts.fujitsu.com/dmsp/Publications/public/DS-D3401-B.pdf
>> but I'm not certain whether this is correct or not. It is marked as
>> classic desktop mainboard.
>>
>> I would appreciate your help.
>>
>> I've not decided whether I'll go with Hetzner so suggestions about hosting
>> providers are more than welcome.
>>
>> Kare

* Re: [9fans] Fujitsu D3401
@ 2019-02-16  9:31     ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2019-02-16  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

regardless of the hardware, before deciding on a host check a
traceroute to some test-ip they should provide, to make sure it
doesn't actually first go to germany and back or some other sillyness!
i just picked the cheapest server i could find, but limited my search
parameters to those that do direct peering with my ISP, and their
network having been statistically stable.

* Re: [9fans] Fujitsu D3401
@ 2019-02-16  9:35     ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2019-02-16  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I've never failed to get Plan 9 running under VMware ESX (v 3.51). It
takes remembering what adjustments I made the last time, or
rediscovering them.

I will be converting the ESX images to kqemu in the near future, see
how that pans out.

Lucio.

* Re: [9fans] Fujitsu D3401
@ 2019-02-16 10:11 ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2019-02-16 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

GCP would be an option. 9legacy has instructions and a ready image.

On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 3:59 AM Kare Nuorteva <kare.nuorteva@me.com> wrote:

> Hello 9fans,
>
> I'm a Plan 9 enthusiast from Finland. I've been playing around with Plan 9
> as
> a hobby for few years now. Earlier I've played with 9front, but now I'd
> like to
> try out Bell Labs distro.
>
> I'm thinking about renting a server from Hetzner (they've got a data
> center in
> Helsinki) and run 9legacy on it. I'd set it up as a file server in order
> to store my files in it.
>
> I wondering if this entry level server is compatible with 9legacy?
> https://www.hetzner.com/dedicated-rootserver/ex42-nvme/configurator
> I've contacted Hetzner support and they told me that the mainboard is
> Fujitsu
> D3401. I can't find exact specifications for this board. I've only found
> this:
> https://sp.ts.fujitsu.com/dmsp/Publications/public/DS-D3401-B.pdf
> but I'm not certain whether this is correct or not. It is marked as
> classic desktop mainboard.
>
> I would appreciate your help.
>
> I've not decided whether I'll go with Hetzner so suggestions about hosting
> providers are more than welcome.
>
> Kare

* Re: [9fans] Fujitsu D3401
@ 2019-02-16 10:18   ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2019-02-16 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

for completeness, AWS is also an option. there's is an old image that
Richard Miller created some time ago. Erik mentioned he hoped (was
planning?) to create an image with up-to-date drivers.

On Sat, Feb 16, 2019 at 2:11 AM Skip Tavakkolian <skip.tavakkolian@gmail.com>
wrote:

> GCP would be an option. 9legacy has instructions and a ready image.
>
> On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 3:59 AM Kare Nuorteva <kare.nuorteva@me.com>
> wrote:
>

>> Hello 9fans,
>>
>> I'm a Plan 9 enthusiast from Finland. I've been playing around with Plan
>> 9 as
>> a hobby for few years now. Earlier I've played with 9front, but now I'd
>> like to
>> try out Bell Labs distro.
>>
>> I'm thinking about renting a server from Hetzner (they've got a data
>> center in
>> Helsinki) and run 9legacy on it. I'd set it up as a file server in order
>> to store my files in it.
>>
>> I wondering if this entry level server is compatible with 9legacy?
>> https://www.hetzner.com/dedicated-rootserver/ex42-nvme/configurator
>> I've contacted Hetzner support and they told me that the mainboard is
>> Fujitsu
>> D3401. I can't find exact specifications for this board. I've only found
>> this:
>> https://sp.ts.fujitsu.com/dmsp/Publications/public/DS-D3401-B.pdf
>> but I'm not certain whether this is correct or not. It is marked as
>> classic desktop mainboard.
>>
>> I would appreciate your help.
>>
>> I've not decided whether I'll go with Hetzner so suggestions about hosting
>> providers are more than welcome.
>>
>> Kare

* Re: [9fans] Fujitsu D3401
@ 2019-02-16 14:31     ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2019-02-16 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 2/16/19, Skip Tavakkolian <skip.tavakkolian@gmail.com> wrote:
> for completeness, AWS is also an option. there's is an old image that
> Richard Miller created some time ago. Erik mentioned he hoped (was
> planning?) to create an image with up-to-date drivers.

Now, Erik's track record is pretty much faultless, so I'd love to see
an image reflecting recent developments, if any (I really ought to be
the one driving this, I have good reason to apply some effort in this
direction).

But I am curious to hear what improvements drivers there may be for an
AWS image. When I started writing this, I assumed these would be
additional drivers, which didn't seem logical. Updated drivers, on the
other hand, would be very welcome, specially from someone close to the
coalface.

And on that note, I'd like to start a catalogue of drivers for Plan 9
with sufficient documentation to ensure that they are or can be made
portable or compatible across what I hesitate to call distros. If
there is a shortcut to identifying the incompatibilities between
various kernel versions, no one is more qualified than cinap, quanstro
and forsyth to catalogue them. Is it worth it and if so, where should
I start?

Lucio.

* Re: [9fans] Fujitsu D3401
@ 2019-02-16 15:41       ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2019-02-16 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

if you don't know if it's worth it why do you want to do it?
try to do something that benefits you personally, so that there can be
a more clear goal