* [9fans] Missing /dev/etherX ?
@ 2014-04-19 21:56 Riddler
From: Riddler @ 2014-04-19 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hey guys,

I'm running the stock plan9 kernel in VirtualBox and I am expecting to see
two /dev/etherX entries but there is only one.

When I first installed it it had only one network card present, which
worked with no issues. I added a new one (host only network) with the same
model (Intel PRO/1000 MT Server) giving me two adapters (the first one is
NAT).

However, the /dev/ether0 entry has now changed its Ethernet address and is
referring to the 2nd Ethernet card. The first one seems to have vanished. I
searched the archives and didn't find anything, however I found one saying
to check /dev/kmesg. There seems to be two relevant entries in there which
I've put in below.

#l0: i82543: 1Gbps port 0xF0420000 irq 10: [2nd cards MAC]
#l1: i82543: 1Gbps port 0xF0440000 irq 10: [1st cards MAC]

So it seems to at least pick up on the two cards, but only creates one
/dev/eatherX? Is this expected or is there some additional configuration I
need to do?

Any suggestions?

Regards,
Rid.