* [9fans] Acme: single quotes and hyphens
@ 2013-12-14 17:52 Blake McBride
From: Blake McBride @ 2013-12-14 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Greetings,

While working with acme I had a problem with spell checking.
 Investigating, I discovered that my setup of acme is not using normal
single quotes or hyphens.  Instead of inserting what all other editors
insert when I hit my single quote or dash keys, acme is inserting some
other (2 byte?) character.  I understand unicode but I am American-English.
 My compiler and spell checker expect single byte, standard ASCII codes for
dash and single quotes.  I absolutely can't use acme like this.

I am using the standard font.  Is there a way for me to correct this
behavior?

Thanks.

Blake McBride

* Re: [9fans] Acme: single quotes and hyphens
@ 2013-12-14 18:15 ` Bence Fábián
From: Bence Fábián @ 2013-12-14 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

It's your keyboard layout. acme does no such thing to my knowledge.
Also it has nothing to do with the font. I assume you use p9p acme
on Mac OS X based on your last letter. So I can't help you more.

@ 2013-12-14 18:22   ` Bence Fábián
From: Bence Fábián @ 2013-12-14 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Also you can do

Edit , >od -x

To see a hexdump of a window.

@ 2013-12-14 18:36   ` Blake McBride
From: Blake McBride @ 2013-12-14 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Apology.  I started using a shell script I created to perform text wrap in
acme by executing the script with |wrap
Turns out it is my script (nroff version of groff) that is doing it.  That
should be easy to fix.

Thanks, and sorry about the confusion.

@ 2013-12-14 18:40     ` Bence Fábián
From: Bence Fábián @ 2013-12-14 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

No problem. Use |fmt to word wrap. nroff does much more.

@ 2013-12-14 19:22       ` Blake McBride
From: Blake McBride @ 2013-12-14 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

fmt works fine.  Thanks.  BTW, besides 'Edit ,', is there an easier way to
select an entire file (to send to a program)?

Thanks again.

@ 2013-12-14 19:30         ` Rubén Berenguel
From: Rubén Berenguel @ 2013-12-14 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs