* [9fans] [GSOC] Dial between two computers
@ 2014-05-27  0:06 yan cui
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: yan cui @ 2014-05-27  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi all,

    I used a program to dial from one system to another system, but
it gives a connection time out error. I have searched on Internet for a
long time and cannot get a solution. Could you please provide some
suggestions or hints? Basically, one system is Linux based system with rc
shell installed (we call it A). The other one is a auth+cpu+file server
(we call it B). On B, I have used fossil/conf command to listen tcp!*!564.
On A, I executed dial tcp!<B's ip address>!564, but it reports a time out
error after waiting some time. Results are the same when A is a plan9
terminal. By the way, I can ping A to B successfully.  What could be the
possible problems?

Thanks, Yan

--
Think big; Dream impossible; Make it happen.

* Re: [9fans] [GSOC] Dial between two computers
@ 2014-05-27  0:08 ` yan cui
From: yan cui @ 2014-05-27  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

dial.c has been attached.

> Hi all,
>
>     I used a program to dial from one system to another system, but
> it gives a connection time out error. I have searched on Internet for a
> long time and cannot get a solution. Could you please provide some
> suggestions or hints? Basically, one system is Linux based system with rc
> shell installed (we call it A). The other one is a auth+cpu+file server
> (we call it B). On B, I have used fossil/conf command to listen tcp!*!564.
> On A, I executed dial tcp!<B's ip address>!564, but it reports a time out
> error after waiting some time. Results are the same when A is a plan9
> terminal. By the way, I can ping A to B successfully.  What could be the
> possible problems?
>

> Thanks, Yan
>
> --
> Think big; Dream impossible; Make it happen.

--
Think big; Dream impossible; Make it happen.

[-- Attachment #2: dial.c --]
[-- Type: text/x-csrc, Size: 879 bytes --]

#include <u.h>
#include <libc.h>

void
usage(void)
{
	fprint(2, "usage: dial [-e] addr\n");
	exits("usage");
}

void
killer(void *x, char *msg)
{
	USED(x);
	if(strcmp(msg, "kill") == 0)
		exits(0);
	noted(NDFLT);
}

void
main(int argc, char **argv)
{
	int fd, pid;
	char buf[8192];
	int n, waitforeof;

	notify(killer);
	waitforeof = 0;
	ARGBEGIN{
	case 'e':
		waitforeof = 1;
		break;
	default:
		usage();
	}ARGEND

	if(argc != 1)
		usage();

	if((fd = dial(argv[0], nil, nil, nil)) < 0)
		sysfatal("dial: %r");

	switch(pid = fork()){
	case -1:
		sysfatal("fork: %r");
	case 0:
		while((n = read(0, buf, sizeof buf)) > 0)
			if(write(fd, buf, n) < 0)
				break;
		if(!waitforeof)
			postnote(PNPROC, getppid(), "kill");
		exits(nil);
	}

	while((n = read(fd, buf, sizeof buf)) > 0)
		if(write(1, buf, n) < 0)
			break;

	postnote(PNPROC, pid, "kill");
	waitpid();
	exits(0);
}

* Re: [9fans] [GSOC] Dial between two computers
@ 2014-05-27  0:13 ` Nick Owens
From: Nick Owens @ 2014-05-27  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yan cui; +Cc: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

yan,

did you try to use packet capture software like wireshark, or snoopy(8)
on plan 9, to see the packets?

running wireshark on linux, and snoopy on plan 9, will give you insight
into if the packets reach the other side successfully.

On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 08:06:21PM -0400, yan cui wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>     I used a program to dial from one system to another system, but
> it gives a connection time out error. I have searched on Internet for a
> long time and cannot get a solution. Could you please provide some
> suggestions or hints? Basically, one system is Linux based system with rc
> shell installed (we call it A). The other one is a auth+cpu+file server
> (we call it B). On B, I have used fossil/conf command to listen tcp!*!564.
> On A, I executed dial tcp!<B's ip address>!564, but it reports a time out
> error after waiting some time. Results are the same when A is a plan9
> terminal. By the way, I can ping A to B successfully.  What could be the
> possible problems?
>

> Thanks, Yan
>
> --
> Think big; Dream impossible; Make it happen.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 851 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] [GSOC] Dial between two computers
@ 2014-05-27  0:52   ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2014-05-27  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

works here (see below). i wonder if fossil is announcing on a different ip
than you're expecting?

% 9c dial.c
% 9l -o dial dial.o
% ./dial tcp!www.9netics.com!http
GET / HTTP/1.0

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: Plan9
Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 00:50:46 GMT
ETag: "364d3v1b"
Connection: close

<!DOCTYPE html>

@ 2014-05-27  1:20   ` yan cui
From: yan cui @ 2014-05-27  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Owens; +Cc: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

OK, will try that. Thanks!

@ 2014-05-27  1:30     ` yan cui
From: yan cui @ 2014-05-27  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

interesting.
I also dial tcp!www.9netics.com!http, but failed. Actually,
I cannot even ping it successfully. (other sites such as www.google.com can
be pinged on my system.) By the way, if fossil uses another ip, how to find
that?

@ 2014-05-27  1:51       ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2014-05-27  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

the firewall here wont answer pings.

you could check with netstat on your plan 9 and/or traceroute from your
linux system.  btw, does your plan 9 cpu run in a vm? also does telnet on
the linux system behave the same way as your dial? e.g.
$ telnet <yourip> 564

@ 2014-05-27  2:18         ` yan cui
From: yan cui @ 2014-05-27  2:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

plan9 auth+cpu+file server runs on vm,

$ telnet 192.168.122.71 564
Trying 192.168.122.71...
Connected to 192.168.122.71.
Escape character is '^]'.
Then, no response.

@ 2014-05-27  2:26           ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2014-05-27  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

can you supply the output from your cpu?
% cat /net/ndb
% netstat -n

@ 2014-05-27  2:37             ` yan cui
From: yan cui @ 2014-05-27  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

sure.

cat ndb
ip=192.168.122.71 ipmask=255.255.255.0 ipgw=192.168.122.1
    sys=super
    dns=192.168.122.1

cat netstat
tcp  0    bootes     Listen       564        0          ::
tcp  1    bootes     Listen       567        0          ::
tcp  2    none       Listen       110        0          ::
tcp  3    none       Listen       113        0          ::
tcp  4    none       Listen       143        0          ::
tcp  5    none       Listen       17005      0          ::
tcp  6    none       Listen       17006      0          ::
tcp  7    none       Listen       17007      0          ::
tcp  8    none       Listen       17009      0          ::
tcp  9    none       Listen       17010      0          ::
tcp  10   none       Listen       19         0          ::
tcp  11   none       Listen       21         0          ::
tcp  12   none       Listen       22         0          ::
tcp  13   none       Listen       23         0          ::
tcp  14   none       Listen       25         0          ::
tcp  15   none       Listen       513        0          ::
tcp  16   none       Listen       53         0          ::
tcp  17   none       Listen       565        0          ::
tcp  18   none       Listen       7          0          ::
tcp  19   none       Listen       9          0          ::
tcp  20   none       Listen       993        0          ::
tcp  21   none       Listen       995        0          ::
tcp  22   network    Closed       0          0          ::
tcp  23   network    Closed       0          0          ::
tcp  24   network    Closed       564        57021      192.168.122.1
tcp  25   network    Closed       39452      567        192.168.122.71
tcp  26   network    Closed       40392      567        192.168.122.71
tcp  27   network    Closed       567        57328      192.168.122.71
tcp  28   network    Closed       567        40392      192.168.122.71
udp  0    network    Closed       0          0          ::

@ 2014-05-27  3:02               ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2014-05-27  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Does

	9fs localhost
	ls /n/localhost

work on your VM? If that works, and if you can ping in both directions, the other possibilities are
a. firewall rules on the linux box or
b. how you have set up your VM. If you are using it in the "bridge" mode, it should work (except for a.). If you are using using the   virtualizer's (QEMU or VirtualBox or Parallels etc.) stack, you have to setup some port forwarding rules.

@ 2014-05-27  3:28                 ` yan cui
From: yan cui @ 2014-05-27  3:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Does
>
> 9fs localhost
> ls /n/localhost
>
> work on your VM? If that works, and if you can ping in both directions,

these tests work on my system

> the other possibilities are
> a. firewall rules on the linux box or
> b. how you have set up your VM. If you are using it in the "bridge" mode,
> it should work (except for a.). If you are using using the   virtualizer's
> (QEMU or VirtualBox or Parallels etc.) stack, you have to setup some port
> forwarding rules.

I used KVM, and use virt-manager to config the VM, do not use any advanced
options, just default. I will check the mode. Thanks!

@ 2014-05-27  3:49                     ` yan cui
From: yan cui @ 2014-05-27  3:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Yan,
>
> probably, your host is waiting message from the "dial".
> simple program such as "dial" is useful for getting diagnostic.
> I have similar program named "connect" which is also useful
> for connection relay and long been used for may server.
> take a look at
> http://plan9.aichi-u.ac.jp/netlib/cmd/

Thanks for such cool tool, I will give it a try.

@ 2014-05-27  4:01         ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2014-05-27  4:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

btw, what did traceroute output on your linux system show (i.e. traceroute
<plan9ipaddr>)

@ 2014-05-27  4:01                   ` 有澤 健治
From: 有澤 健治 @ 2014-05-27  4:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2014-05-27 12:38 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-05-27 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>     I used a program to dial from one system to another system, but
> it gives a connection time out error. I have searched on Internet for a
> long time and cannot get a solution. Could you please provide some
> suggestions or hints? Basically, one system is Linux based system with rc
> shell installed (we call it A). The other one is a auth+cpu+file server
> (we call it B). On B, I have used fossil/conf command to listen tcp!*!564.
> On A, I executed dial tcp!<B's ip address>!564, but it reports a time out
> error after waiting some time. Results are the same when A is a plan9
> terminal. By the way, I can ping A to B successfully.  What could be the
> possible problems?

fossil will not respond if the message is not 9p.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] [GSOC] Dial between two computers
@ 2014-05-27 15:18   ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2014-05-27 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

the first post on this thread mentioned that dial was timing out.  it might
be worth running aux/listen1 or run httpd to see if a connection on another
port can be established.

@ 2014-05-27 16:03           ` yan cui
From: yan cui @ 2014-05-27 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs